Has There Ever Been a Problem with Lack of Demand for VB Points

If I am not mistaken it states in all contracts that any DVC resort could be spun off and not be included in the program, so each DVC resort on WDW property share the same risk, albeit a small risk its still a risk, the same one that Vero and Hilton Head have. Also, in a worst case situation, Comcast would most likely sell alot of the bigger assets like all the theme parks because they have no use for them in their business, I can't even see them focusing on the DVC, in all likelihood the DVC would just go along with any sale of the theme parks. In all cases all of these scenarios are so remote in my opinion.

-Vince

I don't see any possibility that Vero will be sold off and have observed some posters bashing Vero beach for over three years in various ways. I guess this wild unsubstaniated speculation without any basis in fact is the latest version of Vero bashing. Please note the votes in the poll cited below as a reference showing 53 people indicating Vero Beach is a victim of unfair resort bashing:
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=421276&highlight=+Bashing

What would DVC have to gain by selling off Vero? It's already sold out and paid for with a steady revenue stream to maintain the resort. Vero owners also go to WDW and spend a great deal of money there, and Vero adds to the onsite WDW resorts by providing an alternative so buyers to think that every vacation has to be at WDW. Fact: this spring break, Vero was the only resort who did not have availability and was completely booked at a time when every other resort was available. There is no advantage to Disney or DVC to disenfranchise this large a group of loyal pre-paid Disney Loyal Customers. It does not make financial sense to do so.

The cost of keeping a loyal customer as Disney has through the DVC program is tremendous and should not be taken lightly, and is not taken lightly by Disney. It is not consistent with the management philosophy that Disney promotes, sells and the new company would be purchasing (if comcast, the CEO of comcast well understands as a former Disney executive). I would refer you to the sources The Disney Way (2001) Capodaglie & Jackson, The Loyalty Effect (1996). Reichheld, and Improving Customer Satisfaction, Loyalty, and Profit (2000) Johnson & Gustafsson as resources regarding Customer Loyalty.

Is anyone willing to make a wager regarding whether or not Vero will still be owned by DVC within 2 years? Please understand, I'm talking about writing up a legal agreement and placing a sizable amount of money in escrow now that would be payable on the status of Vero two years from now. I'd be happy to make arrangements through PM. It'll be the easiest money I'll make over the next two years.

It does not make financial sense for DVC to sell off Vero. There are no good business reasons to do so.

My comments were meant in no way to 'bash' Vero Beach. Based on your survey link, my home resort is the one who gets based the most. I visted Vero Beach last year and really enjoyed the resort a lot. It is my favorite DVC resort next to OKW (have yet to visit HHI.)

The Disney Company is in a state of change right now and my comments were simply meant to make sure people were aware of what can happen in a 'worst case' scenario. You are right Disney has nothing to gain by selling DVC in my opinion. However, will Disney still be Disney in the future? Let's all hope so. If some corporation comes in and buys up the company in a hostile takeover, there is a strong chance that some of the 'pieces' of Disney could potentially be sold off.

The only thing you are assured with your membership is 38 or 50 years at the resort(s) you own points at. Personally I am not worried about any of the resorts being sold off in the least, but it is something to be aware of. Eisner has just said in the last few days that if the price is right, Disney can be bought. Now, who knows if that will happen. I certainly hope not.

Vero bashing?

Haven't seen it.

I always say that VB is truly one of the finest resorts in the world.

I also say that it was a very poor selling resort and that Disney had to stoop to lies and misrepresentations to sell it.

I have never seen any Vero bashing.

Originally posted by Richyams
{snip}that doesn't change the fact that it is VERY POSSIPLE that VB could be sold off.
{snip}
Please be aware that the terms 'very possible' and 'remote' are not interchangable terms. Using Word thesaurus function to isentify terms for the words "Possible" and "Remote," you will not find the terms listed in either word's thesaurus references.

Possible = Likely; Probable, Potential, Achievable, Promising, Feasible, On the cards, Viable

Remote = Distant, Far-flung, Unlikely, Doubtful, Improbable, Faint, Implausible

I read at one point your saying it is speculation and above stating it is a fact with erroneous equivalence in terms.

Very Possible -Does Not Equal- Remote

Again, please state your official Disney source that qualifies that it is a fact that it is VERY POSSIPLE (Likely; Probable, Promising, On the cards) that VB could be sold off.

English lesson time.

Possible:
1. Capable of happening, existing, or being true without contradicting proven facts, laws, or circumstances.
2. Capable of occurring or being done without offense to character, nature, or custom.
3. Capable of favorable development; potential: a possible site for the new capital.
4. Of uncertain likelihood.

Your definitions for 'possible' seem to have come from one of our faultering schools systems. Possible DOES NOT mean 'probable"

We are speaking English here, I am not sure what language your definition of the word 'possible' comes from.

As I said, VB can be sold off, it is VERY POSSIBLE...I do also think the possibility is remote, but it certainly is very possible.

Again, please state your official Disney source that qualifies that it is a fact that it is VERY POSSIPLE that VB could be sold off.

That's easy, just read the contract you signed, it clearly states that VB could be sold off and no longer be a part of DVC. As a matter of fact, all DVC resorts have this language in our contracts.

If you need help with any more words, I suggest dictionary.com its simple to use.

I also say that it was a very poor selling resort and that Disney had to stoop to lies and misrepresentations to sell it.

Could elaborate? Some of us have no knowledge to what your referring too.

:confused:

DVC sales folk used many lies to sell VB. They would lie and say that the seven month window is meaningless. They would use flim flam tactics and use statistics to give false impressions, like this oft reported goody: "Since most reservations are made less than six months out, the seven month window is meaningless"

They were also fond of this lie by ommission:
"Sure, VB has the highest dues now, but dues change every year, they were lowest once".....the conviniently left out the fact that the reason the dues were lower was because they were subsidized, they were subsidized in the begining because VB was supposed to be a MUCH, MUCH bigger resort. Long after its plans were chopped and the subsidy was dropped, they still said that same sentence without making prospects aware that VB never had the lowest dues and will probably never have them.

There were some others, those were two biggies.

Possible = Likely
Where did you come up with that?

Entry: possible
Function: adjective
Definition: likely
Concept: probability
Source: Roget's Interactive Thesaurus, First Edition (v 1.0.0)
Copyright © 2004 by Lexico Publishing Group, LLC. All rights reserved.

Entry: remote
Definition: unlikely
Concept: improbability

{snip}As a matter of fact, all DVC resorts have this language in our contracts{snip}.
Agreed.

Sorry, possible doesn't mean likely.

Possible:
1. Capable of happening, existing, or being true without contradicting proven facts, laws, or circumstances.
2. Capable of occurring or being done without offense to character, nature, or custom.
3. Capable of favorable development; potential: a possible site for the new capital.
4. Of uncertain likelihood.

Originally posted by Vince
If I am not mistaken it states in all contracts that any DVC resort could be spun off and not be included in the program, so each DVC resort on WDW property share the same risk, albeit a small risk its still a risk, the same one that Vero and Hilton Head have. Also, in a worst case situation, Comcast would most likely sell alot of the bigger assets like all the theme parks because they have no use for them in their business, I can't even see them focusing on the DVC, in all likelihood the DVC would just go along with any sale of the theme parks. In all cases all of these scenarios are so remote in my opinion.

-Vince

Very much so. In fact if Disney were to be sold to someone like Comcast, Disney resorts could become just as the hotels at Downtown Disney. Each individually owned and operated.

If you are going to consider all the "what if's" you might as well consider this is a possiblity too.

Sorry, possible doesn't mean likely.
Ya, despite the definitions offered by Source: Roget's Interactive Thesaurus, First Edition (v 1.0.0) Copyright © 2004 by Lexico Publishing Group, LLC. All rights reserved, I see the difference your pointing out. I contend there is a major differece between 'Very Possible' and 'Remote' as well, they don't mean the same. In my opinion, claiming that it is very possible Vero will be sold is misleading. It's not going to happen.

It is not very possible Vero will be sold, DVC resorts will not be broken up, regardless of who buys Disney, or that option spelled out in each resorts POS. Posters above raise an excellent point, there is no economic reason to do so, it would be a poor business decision that would be detrimental to Disney whomever owns it. These resorts are already sold and paid for, and it's a steady cash stream for the theme parks. Duh.

Sorry, possible does not mean likely.

It is completely possible, very possible, 100% possible that VB could be sold.

A Thesaurus does not give definitions of words. It gives situational synonyms. A dictionary gives definitions of words.

If you need anymore help with English, drop me an e-mail.

Do you agree that it is 'possible' that a comet could hit the Earth destroying life as we know it?

Does that mean that it is likely to happen?

I embrace the spirit of this discussion - you guys are great!

Rich, you are bang on about VB, caveat emptor especially applies to this DVC property - lots of history that people need to be aware of when buying in here. Your posts are very illuminating in this regard

thanks
jaysue

If Disney doesn't get bought out, in my opinion they won't, but it is "possible", I feel the likelihood of Vero or Hilton to be spun off very very slim. I feel it would just do too much damage to their name in my opinion. You would have alot of unhappy folks such as myself who spend alot of money at or on Disney. There would have to be some solid evidence or fact that the project(s) were losing alot of money. Although I have no evidence to say they are doing great or poor my opinion is that they are doing well enough to be left alone. The 2nd scenario is if Comcast or some other company bought out Disney, as in my previous posts I feel this is also very unlikely although "possible", if this were to occur I would tend to believe the chances of some type of Vero or Hilton spin off may be greater but also very unlikely, but this is all pure specualtion. This is just my 2 cents for what its worth !

Regards,
Vince

That is my opinion exactly.

Thanks for using the word 'possible' correctly, I never considered it sophiscated vocabulary before.

Well, hate to say this but possible does also mean likely:

Entry: possible
Definition: likely
Synonyms: accessible, achievable, adventitious, advisable, attainable, available, breeze, can do, cinch, conceivable, credible, dependent, desirable, doable, dormant, duck soup, earthly, expedient, feasible, fortuitous, hopeful, hypothetical, imaginable, indeterminate, latent, mortal, no sweat, obtainable, on, potential, practicable, probable, promising, pushover, realizable, setup, snap, thinkable, uncertain, viable, welcome, within reach, workable
Concept: probability

likely likely

Possible does not imply to me that something is likely. I would use probable for that. I suppose depending on how you use it you could mean likely, but that isn't how it is being used here.

Main Entry: pos·si·ble
Pronunciation: 'pä-s&-b&l
Etymology: Middle English, from Middle French, from Latin possibilis, from posse to be able, from potis, pote able + esse to be -- more at POTENT, IS
1 a : being within the limits of ability, capacity, or realization b : being what may be done or may occur according to nature, custom, or manners
2 a : being something that may or may not occur b : being something that may or may not be true or actual <possible explanation>
3 : having an indicated potential <a possible housing site>
synonyms POSSIBLE, PRACTICABLE, FEASIBLE mean capable of being realized. POSSIBLE implies that a thing may certainly exist or occur given the proper conditions <a possible route up the west face of the mountain>. PRACTICABLE implies that something may be effected by available means or under current conditions <a practicable route up the west face of the mountain>. FEASIBLE applies to what is likely to work or be useful in attaining the end desired <commercially feasible for mass production>.

http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=possible

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter