Has the quality of Disney's TV programming declined?

DrPierreMcDuck

Mouseketeer
Is it just me or are the shows put out by Disney these days lacking in quality? I understand that the programs are geared towards children, but if you look at Disney's output on TV in days gone by, you will find intelligent family programming. From the old cartoons and specials to the more recent "Disney Afternoon" shows, Disney created content that could be enjoyed by both young and old. I have watched some of the modern shows on the Disney Channel and found them to be almost unwatchable. Bad acting, puerile humor, and plots without substance. Am I alone in this opinion? Are there shows out there that are decent?

Oh trust me your not alone on this one it's been like this for years now. It seems the only good things to come out of Disney nowadays are it's movies and theme parks and like you I hunger for better programming on both channels atleast.

Hmmmm, I agree. The Disney Channel isn't what it used to be. Shake it up is the worst programme ever! I wish they would bring back the old Disney cartoons a bit more.

With the exception of Phineas and Ferb, there isn't anything good on outside of Disney Junior.
I REALLY HATE Third and Bird. It is SO ANNOYING. I understand it was made by the same guy as The Wonderpets from Nickelodeon- and that may explain it all!
Their "teen aged girl" shows are so lame. I am tired of them shoving Good Luck Charlie down our throats!! Enough already! And now they're going to have another baby?? Are they "jumping the shark" already??

I completely agree. With the exception of Phineas and Ferb and Imagination Movers, I don't watch Disney much anymore.

And there used to be some really great shows, especially for the younger set: Out of the Box, PB&J, Rollie Pollie Ollie, Katie and Orbie, etc. I watched these shows even into my teens and really liked them. Even the Doodlebops and the Wiggles weren't bad.

But shows like Hannah Montana, Jessie, Shake It Up and the like have made me lose all hope for Disney programming. Even doing these "short version" of classic Disney cartoons were one of the worse things they could have done. What I wouldn't give for an hour of the full length cartoons...

I didn't watch Disney channel back in the day, so I have no idea how the shows were, except the ocassional Lizzie Maguire. However, with that being said, I actually enjoy watching Good Luck Charlie. Don't get me wrong, the show has it's cheesy moments, but it's also very funny and cute. Hannah Montana was pretty good too, and I miss it. Oh well, different strokes for different folks ... :happytv:

It's delined to the point that I rarely watch Disney anymore.

And I recall the old days when we first got the Disney Channel--so much good things to watch!!

Ant Farm
Kickin' It
Jesse

... all are no good.

Wizards of Waverley Place just ended tonight and it was a decent show. Shake It Up and So Random are just OK.

Phineas and Ferb is a great show. In fact, many of the cartoons are pretty good still like Jake and the Never Land Pirates.

I miss the days of That's So Raven, the Suite Life of Zach and Cody (NOT On Deck, that show was horrible), Lizzie McGuire, and Even Stevens. Those were much better.

I think what Disney is doing is splitting everything up and it's fragmenting the shows and audience:

Disney XD - For tween boys
Disney Channel - For tween girls
Disney Jr. - For all younger kids

As you can tell, I watch a lot of Disney Channel. My kids are 6 and 4 right now, but when I met my wife 8 years ago, she used to watch it well before we had kids.... shows like Jo Jo Circus on Playhouse Disney and Stanley.

Ethan

It's been a long time since I watched Disney Channel on a regular basis. The "good ol days" for me were the 80s and early 90s when I watched almost every day. Dumbo's Circus, Pooh Corner, Mickey Mouse Club, and endless cartoons...good times. I also loved the frequent features on the theme parks. Sure, it was shameless advertising, but it was exciting for a kid to see.

Exactly! The quality (but not the quantity) of Disney Channel shows have declined quite dramatically.

I remember the Disney Channel back in the '90s when I was a child, and remember staying up late to watch classic Disney films and cartoons, ones that Walt himself was a part of. I think they also showed "The Wonderful World of Disney" as well as reruns from the original "Mickey Mouse Club", but I don't remember that as well.

The Disney Channel was the place where I first saw the original Witch Mountain movies, as well as the original Freaky Friday. They wouldn't dare play those on the Disney Channel any more, even late in the night or early morning. People's attention spans are not what they use to be.

Our 5 yearold Grandson is the only reason the Disney channel is ever watched in our house. It was such a great channel back in the 80's when it first started.

I might be biased, but I feel the programming Disney showed when I was young. I liked virtually every show and movie they played. :) I think one of the best things was that a lot of shows were gender/age neutral. The whole family could not only enjoy but be entertained by their stuff.

A list of my TV show favorites (it's long!):
Kim Possible
Even Stevens
Lizzie McGuire
So Weird
My Little Pony Tales
That's So Raven
Bug Juice
Braceface
Sister, Sister
Boy Meets World
American Dragon: Jake Long

Gosh I'm probably forgetting things...everything was just so good. If you haven't watched So Weird, Youtube it. The first two seasons are amazing.

yes, the programming has declined tremendously. Ever since High School Musical and Hannah Montana, disney thinks that shows MUST be all about singing or dancing. With the exception of Good Luck Charlie and Phineas and Ferb, there really isn't much I like on Disney Channel anymore. I think JESSIE has potential, as long as it stays away from singing and dancing. A.N.T. Farm would have been cooler as a cartoon....with everyone as ANTS! :p I can't stand Shake it Up! I've watched Ally and Austin show....but I don't like the constant....'she can't hold a job'/'new job of the week' thing with the character named Trish. That will get OLD fast! On ANT Farm, they yet again created a sterotyped male character that lives with his mother/grandmother/other relative......just like Arwin on Suite Life and that teacher from Hannah Montana's first season (the one that went on to be on the show I'm in the Band). I can't stand Gibson and hope they replace him with an intelligent character....maybe a female?

I don't know about anyone else, but I miss the days of animation being more prevalent on Disney Channel. Once they stopped showing cartoons on TOON disney, I knew it was all over :(

I'd really love if Disney created an old school channel and played all the old shows... It would be so cheap for them, but get so much viewing!

Although I love P & F and can tolerate most shows on Disney Junior, I agree! I loved Pooh's Corner and does anyone remember "Under the Umbrella Tree"? That's one that I loved!

I fully support the "Disney Classic" idea. It seems like a logical expansion, a great option for Disney fans who want to stick with the classic programming. But then, who would watch the new Disney Channel? Still, a Disney Classic channel would hit the spot for classic Disney fans!

I share your opinion. I remember when TDC had the New MMC, had music specials, Disney bumpers, old Disney cartoons/movie segments, and various movie festivals. This was back in the 90's and before they turned the channel into a Nickelodeon wanna-be.

Fortunately, I have some old Disney specials on VHS tape and transferred them onto DVDs. Anyone remember WDW: Inside Out hosted by Scott Harriot? I'm so glad I have those on VHS! I also have found TCM :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter