Has Easter always been a huge holiday than ever before?

I'm not sure if you were being serious or not, but my serious answer... they won't. First, there's not enough money in it for the stores and manufacturers. Second, and I'm trying to phrase this carefully, there is a definite "favoritism" when it comes to religious beliefs (note: I did not say 'religion') in this country.

If I say any more, I'll definitely get points, so I'm going to stop there.
You must have misunderstood me. Trinkets/special food/decor items for all of the religious/cultural observances I mentioned ARE available, in such mundane places as WalMart; at least here. My comment was in relation to whether or not the general public will start participating in them in the same non-religious/cultural way they do Christmas and Easter.

You must have misunderstood me. Trinkets/special food/decor items for all of the religious/cultural observances I mentioned ARE available, in such mundane places as WalMart; at least here. My comment was in relation to whether or not the general public will start participating in them in the same non-religious/cultural way they do Christmas and Easter.
You're right, I did misunderstand. My answer is "no". :D

From a non-religious point of view, Easter for kids was always a “big deal.” Easter baskets, dying/decorating eggs, egg hunts, etc. it was never a big del for adults, other than making it fun/special for the kids and of course making a special meal.

With no kids in the family we don’t celebrate Easter, though I will still make the meal for myself next Sunday.

ec62b1af-9f4a-415e-9a54-f8522568b350-jpeg.749850
:scared:
"I didn't mind you eating all those chocolate eggs, Geraldine. But the Carrot...it's the Carrot you must apologize to."

From a non-religious point of view, Easter for kids was always a “big deal.” Easter baskets, dying/decorating eggs, egg hunts, etc. it was never a big del for adults, other than making it fun/special for the kids and of course making a special meal.

With no kids in the family we don’t celebrate Easter, though I will still make the meal for myself next Sunday.
Yeah around it’s always been big since I was kid at least which is at least 40 years ago.

I'm not sure if you were being serious or not, but my serious answer... they won't. First, there's not enough money in it for the stores and manufacturers. Second, and I'm trying to phrase this carefully, there is a definite "favoritism" when it comes to religious beliefs (note: I did not say 'religion') in this country.

If I say any more, I'll definitely get points, so I'm going to stop there.
If you think there is a definite favouritism in the USA check out almost all of Africa, the Middle East and Asia. Parts of S America. In other words most if the world’s population. North America isnt that bad after all.

Interesting. I have noticed the same stuff as usual, maybe less here. I think the stores are tired of getting stuck with inventory after a holiday so the last few years we have had much less Halloween, Christmas, Valentines (very minimal) and Easter stuff out here. Our Target that had huge departments in previous years now are much smaller with the other half the garden or storage or other in between inventory out sooner. So my answer is around here there seems to be less out there than previous years.

Personal baskets: My Dad worked for Nestle so all our candy in our basket was from work but mostly we got little gifts, a book, socks, pajamas, trinket stuff. I continued that tradition with my kids. Very little candy, mostly small gifts. My one son (functions as a child) still gets his Easter tree, some decorations and basket with small gifts. He dyes eggs, then we eat them. I hide a dozen plastic eggs for him to find (with M&Ms). He looks forward to the Easter Bunny coming to visit. 🐰

Not here. I have seen the candy in the stores, and the Honey Baked Ham commercials, but I did notice that there is sign at the door of our grocery store that they will be open on Easter. 30-40 years ago everything closed on Easter, not anymore.

Yeah, I've noticed it too. Growing up, Easter was more of a religious observance. It's actually a bigger deal than Christmas to Christians - I grew up Catholic - but the celebration was more subdued. We had Easter baskets and some candy, and a big meal, but that was it. Today it does seem to be more marketed, and kids get like bigger presents and such. My basket might have had a squirt gun or small toy in it, but it was mostly just candy. It has definitely become more commercialized - not so much as Christmas but it's getting there.
Me too. The thing I remember most about Easter was every Easter Morning my Father and Mother used to host the family to a huge breakfast (after church, of course). My dad did all the cooking and we had Ham and Eggs, Pancakes, Toast, Bacon and lots of Maple Syrup. That happened every year until my dad passed in 1995. After that we mostly went out for Brunch on Easter. It was a lot easier and no cleanup.

My kids hated Easter because my wife and I were of two different Christian denominations and we traditionally went to both services. What sometimes complicated it even more was that my youngest daughters birthday was on April 3rd. That meant that every so often we went to two churches on her birthday. From her actual birthday until she was on her own it only happened 3 times, but she complained about it enough that it has stuck in my memory. She was not a fan of that at all.

:charac2::)

If you think there is a definite favouritism in the USA check out almost all of Africa, the Middle East and Asia. Parts of S America. In other words most if the world’s population. North America isnt that bad after all.
Why? I don't live there, and those countries don't have the Constitution and the Bill of Rights that we have.

I remember easter used to be for baskets, dying eggs, candy, and egg hunts. I remember decades ago when (someone?) started adding gifts and toys to easter baskets and I thought that was ludicrous and have never given in to that notion as I felt it was just commercial. Gifts/toys are for Birthdays and Christmas only lol! (But I know that sounds silly, since Candy and eggs are also just as commercial, haha!)

Once we had kids, we continued with the same traditions, but are now waning on it as they grow older. I'm about to just give them each 20 bucks and ask to forego the hullabaloo this year. :)

Because you were sounding like the USA is an unfair place. So if you look around, it’s not so unfair. That’s why.
So you agree it's unfair, but not as unfair as other places? I think that's called "Whataboutism" and is generally frowned upon.

The US *IS* unfair to many, many, many, different groups of people. Just because other places around the world are "worse" when it comes down to being "unfair" doesn't mean we can't (or shouldn't) call it out.

If a female points out they earn on average 28% less than men (source), do you point out "Try being a woman in Iran"? No, I'm not trying to spark a debate on the pay gap, just providing an example.

I grew up in a 95% Catholic town. Every Easter families went out to buy new spiffy outfits. This worked out well. Kids went shopping for school clothes early fall, maybe get a few extras at Christmas and then the Easter outfit that would also get used for warm weather fancy functions. Dying eggs, chocolate bunny and a big family get together were all standard every year.

I am not religious at all, and I find it really weird that Easter has become so commercialized. Growing up, we had a bunny, some chocolate eggs, and a small present in our basket. Then we’d search for more chocolate eggs. That’s what I did for my daughter as well.

Not here. I have seen the candy in the stores, and the Honey Baked Ham commercials, but I did notice that there is sign at the door of our grocery store that they will be open on Easter. 30-40 years ago everything closed on Easter, not anymore.
When I was a kid, stores also used to close between noon and 3 on Good Friday.

Easter is about the same as it has been in our family and I'm 44. We always got new clothes for Easter Sunday, got huge Easter baskets filled with gifts and then went to my aunt's house for a big Easter dinner.

DH and I don't have any kids, but I still buy a new dress for church and usually make him up a small Easter basket.

Oh, believe me, if retailers could figure out how to get people on board with it, they would!

How did I remember everything about that clip except the weirdest part (the kisses make me boogie-o-lantern)?! Also, not that anyone asks, but I grew up hating Easter (although I am always down for a good Easter Egg Hunt if there's decent weather - lousy SMarch weather ...)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts