Has anyone seen a cockroach in an MDR?

Regardless of how often gags like this happen, it's still weird that they happen at all.

Maybe this is some weird cultural disconnect in terms of humor? Even so, you'd think DCL would tell its wait-staff that North American clientele generally do not like to be startled or grossed out like this.

I truly don't understand why any service team would think it's okay to do pranks in the MDRs. The MDR's are supposed to have a nicer restaurant feel, with fancy sounding food, etc. I absolutely abhor pranks of any kind, they just always seem kind of 'mean' to me, even the most innocent ones.

We've only been on the Wonder and Magic, and just had origami, some magic, and crayon riddles--those all make sense, something to distract the kids and provide a little 'magic' to your dining experience. Pranks don't fall into that category for me.

UPDATE: Disney Cruise called me today. Unfortunately, I was driving through traffic on Universal Blvd and couldn’t talk. He made an appointment with me to call back tomorrow morning.

I thought it was interesting that they called. I didn’t give them my phone number.

OP,
Just curious if you spoke with DCL today? As a bug phobic person, I would not be happy with this “prank”. Not a big fan of pranks in general.

UPDATE:

I’m the OP. Sorry for the delay In reporting back. I had family drama going on.

DCL called me back at the appointment time we made. We had a really good conversation. They had no idea that this prank, or any of these pranks, were happening and they vehemently don’t want guests grossed out, startled, or shocked in the MDR’s. We talked about some of the examples everyone has posted here ( roach, rat, butterflies, etc.). We acknowledged the great job the serving teams do of engaging with guests. But we both strongly felt that this prank had absolutely no place on board. I suggested a silver platter with a stuffed Remy under it if they wanted to do something cute because, as he said, “cute and fun is what Disney does - gross and scary is NOT what Disney does.” So he’s passing this on to the leadership team for some retraining to be done. He assured me I would have nothing to worry about on my cruise in December. Oh, he also agreed that I should never feel like I have to warn them not to do this - it just never should have been happening.

Last edited:
UPDATE:

DCL called me back at the appointment time we made. We had a really good conversation. They had no idea that this prank, or any of these pranks, were happening and they vehemently don’t want guests grossed out, startled, or shocked in the MDR’s. We talked about some of the examples everyone has posted here (cockroach, rat, butterflies, etc.). We acknowledged the great job the serving teams do of engaging with guests. But we both strongly felt that this prank had absolutely no place on board. I suggested a silver platter with a stuffed Remy under it if they wanted to do something cute because, as he said, “cute and fun is what Disney does - gross and scary is NOT what Disney does.” So he’s passing this on to the leadership team for some retraining to be done. He assured me I would have nothing to worry about on my cruise in December. Oh, he also agreed that I should never feel like I have to warn them not to do this - it just never should have been happening.

Thank for the update- your contacting them helped other people avoid a stressful situation. It's Disney- this can be fun without risking someone having a prank they don't think is funny! Thank you for looking out (because this would bother me so much if it happened to me). Enjoy your cruise!!!

UPDATE:

DCL called me back at the appointment time we made. We had a really good conversation. They had no idea that this prank, or any of these pranks, were happening and they vehemently don’t want guests grossed out, startled, or shocked in the MDR’s. We talked about some of the examples everyone has posted here (cockroach, rat, butterflies, etc.). We acknowledged the great job the serving teams do of engaging with guests. But we both strongly felt that this prank had absolutely no place on board. I suggested a silver platter with a stuffed Remy under it if they wanted to do something cute because, as he said, “cute and fun is what Disney does - gross and scary is NOT what Disney does.” So he’s passing this on to the leadership team for some retraining to be done. He assured me I would have nothing to worry about on my cruise in December. Oh, he also agreed that I should never feel like I have to warn them not to do this - it just never should have been happening.

Thank you for the update!

UPDATE:

Thank you so much for the update. Was following this thread with great interest, and I am so relieved Disney management will spread a word about it.

Not scared of bugs but definitely scared of anything that crosses the line. That's why we pay the premium to Disney, isn't it?

Thank you so much for the update. Was following this thread with great interest, and I am so relieved Disney management will spread a word about it.

Not scared of bugs but definitely scared of anything that crosses the line. That's why we pay the premium to Disney, isn't it?

I've never had pranks played on me on the less-premium ships. The subject has never even been brought up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter