Has anyone seen a cockroach in an MDR?

Is this seriously a thing? For the love...WHY? This seems like something I would expect from Carnival, but Disney Cruise Line? Stop. This cannot actually be a thing that the cruise line management is okay with.

Oh, come on!

Considering that Carnival has had one or two "failed" inspection in the last year (criteria are pretty severe but that's nothing to joke about), I highly doubt they would do something so stupid and risk having people play "Chinese Whispers" with that story.

Also, Carnival is into comedy, not pranks.

Give no EXTRA gratuity? Not only would I pull all my tips for that person, but I would demand a new server. I would also follow up with a complaint at guest services. I don't care about the repercussions on the CM, because they need to be retrained. That would never be acceptable... unless it was obvious, like a cute stuffed cockroach with a big smile. Anything less is just mean and would ruin my dinner.

Same. Bugs are my biggest phobia.

Well, I've been on 3 Carnival Cruises and 2 of them were freebies and I still won't ever sail them again. I was on the Fantasy, Elation, and Dream. It's just a low class experience all around and I don't like the clientele nor the vibe

Considering they just failed a ship inspection for dirty water and dead bugs on food on the buffet, I'm not too far off at all in saying this is something I'd expect to see on Carnival (a dead bug in the dining room).

I'm beyond my college party days. Seems most passengers on this line are not. Not the vibe I want to expose my kids to on vacation. That's the extent of it, really.

While I agree that the results of the inspection are not acceptable, I'm shocked by your "low class experience all around and I don't like the clientele" comment because I've experienced the complete opposite on the 5 cruises I've done with Carnival... I have found the clientele on DCL and on Carnival to be pretty similar, except maybe one time but not enough to put all eggs (guests) in the same basket...

I have experienced this. I was so upset that I vowed to never EVER go on another cruise AGAIN. Those MONSTERS! Just Kidding!

My amazing, wonderful, funny, sweet, server did this to me. I freaked out, and it was so funny! It was a JOKE. I have friends who work on DCL and they said that the pranks and puzzles are part of their training. It’s entertainment. It’s 100% not the servers fault. It’s part of their training. This is a situation that no one should ever take away someone’s tip for. They work so so SO hard and have to deal with crazy people all of the time. If you have a problem with it, kindly tell them no more jokes. They won’t mind. But complaining to guest services is wayyyy too much.

This reminds me of whispering canyon when people complained about the gags. Disney had to take away the best part of the restaurant because of the crazy people.

Ugh.

Whispering Canyon was not my cup of tea (even though I knew about the pranks in advance).

Honestly, any cruise line that would pull that kind of pranks on me would most likely never see me again.

If someone has a phobia of bugs that is so severe that it would ruin their entire meal or even worse, their entire cruise, if they were pranked with a plastic insect then they should probably consider having their phobia noted on their reservation prior to sailing, similar to what people with allergies do.

Technically, bugs or fake bugs are not supposed to be part of the cruising experience...

Fake bugs do not belong in a restaurant setting, period. Prank or not. Anyone who has ever worked in the restaurant industry in any capacity knows this is unacceptable no matter how funny some may find it. I've been around these boards long enough to know that many of the responses to this thread would be totally different if this "prank" was happening on any other mass market cruise line. Someone already threw Carnival into the mix when this seems to be happening on Disney ships.

I don't think pranks like this are in line with the atmosphere they are trying to establish in the MDRs. (But neither is the constant badgering of guests about the "excellent service.") These restaurants are not presented like Whispering Canyon or 50s Prime Time Cafe. MAYBE if the prank was aimed at a kid already identified as being a good sport about this kind of thing, but definitely NEVER with a bug.

I am pretty sure if anyone from DCL has seen this thread ( I understand they do read here), this prank will never happen again!
No one thinks this is entertaining.
My 9 year old granddaughter has a fear of bugs, if they did that to her, she would need therapy.

While I agree that the results of the inspection are not acceptable, I'm shocked by your "low class experience all around and I don't like the clientele" comment because I've experienced the complete opposite on the 5 cruises I've done with Carnival... I have found the clientele on DCL and on Carnival to be pretty similar, except maybe one time but not enough to put all eggs (guests) in the same basket...
Shocked, really? All you have to do is google “Carnival cruise reputation” and the words that come up are “party boat” “budget” “cheap” “spring break” or “trashy.” I don’t think the pp was saying all guests are like that, and maybe you have lucked out on itineraries, but you have to admit Carnival does have a reputation for being a lower cost, heavier drinking cruise line.

Shocked, really? All you have to do is google “Carnival cruise reputation” and the words that come up are “party boat” “budget” “cheap” “spring break” or “trashy.” I don’t think the pp was saying all guests are like that, and maybe you have lucked out on itineraries, but you have to admit Carnival does have a reputation for being a lower cost, heavier drinking cruise line.

Seriously. Reputations exist for a reason. FWIW, my last Carnival experience was a VERY long time ago, but bad impressions stick, and I have also sailed Princess, NCL, and Royal Caribbean in addition to DCL. I can say with conviction that the Carnival cruises were the WORST overall out of all those lines, and it was mostly due to the behavior of the other passengers. When there are other options, I have no desire to ever step foot on a Carnival ship again, I don't care how many people say their Carnival cruises were nothing like mine were. Good for you! I'm done with them. It's the same reason why I never go to Six Flags anymore...

I know what the reputation is & I strongly disagree with it and I'm allowed to say so.

I hate when people belittle people who chose to sail --or in some cases, can only afford to sail-- with Carnival (putting all eggs in the same basket)... And I'm trying to remain polite.

I am pretty sure if anyone from DCL has seen this thread ( I understand they do read here), this prank will never happen again!
No one thinks this is entertaining.
My 9 year old granddaughter has a fear of bugs, if they did that to her, she would need therapy.

I’m the OP. I emailed them yesterday. I’m waiting to hear back. I’ll report back when they do respond.

When they did the prank on my table we were messing around with our servers too. I noticed that a lot of people who had this prank done to them were also messing around with heir server and joking with them. I guess if you do that they are going to bring out a fake bug under a tiny, orange cookie.

Last edited:
Who is waiting for them to see the thread? Call DCL and complain if it has happened to you. Don't say "heads better roll," just that it's a remarkably ill-advised prank in a dining area. Also, this is absolutely nothing like Whispering Canyon.

Never been on a Carnival ship, but I do have friends who love them for a quick getaway cruise.

I know I'm late to this party, but why did this turn into a Carnival vs. DCL debate? Why did Carnival get named in this thread in the first place when the incident happened specifically on DCL? From what I can see, that's not what the intention was. For what it's worth, I've sailed both lines and quite enjoy both. We have a DCL booked next month and a Carnival booked in February. You're allowed to enjoy more than one cruise line and there is NO reason to put down others who disagree with your choice of vacation.

We have a very nice, helpful, sometimes even critical Carnival (and all other cruise lines!) vs. DCL thread that @mevelandry works very hard to keep updated, so if anyone would like join in for advice, a review, a criticism, a complaint, or a question, whatever...please feel free to visit!

OP - I totally agree, ANY dining experience is not the place for pulling a "bug-in-the-food" prank! I'm pretty laid-back and don't get upset by much, but that would not be appreciated. I've always said "know your audience" but why a CM would ever even risk that is beyond me. Mistakes happen but whoever's idea it was should seriously have their judgment questioned. Thanks for keeping us updated! :goodvibes

If I saw this (even if it was not directed at me) I would be so upset. I have a phobia about bugs to begin with, especially roaches. IMHO no way this is funny. Surely they can come up with something a bit less gross.

In six cruises, I've never had any pranks, either. Crayon brain-teasers, squeaky-balls, origami, magic tricks, but never a practical joke meant to startle me or make me feel squeamish.

In April on the Fantasy our assistant server told my SIL she had to sign something and handed her one of those black restaurant check presenters. When she opened it, a bunch of fake butterflies shot out and scared the stuffing out of her. She laughed it off but was not pleased. No cockroaches involved, but a definite prank.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter