Has anyone seen a cockroach in an MDR?

MouseinMelbourne

DIS Veteran
In one of my recent cruise meet groups (the cruise ended a week ago) a woman said she was served a chocolate chip cookie that was fake and had a fake cockroach in it/under it. It was a “prank” pulled by the servers. Like.....instead of crayon puzzles they did this. A few other people came forward in the group and said their servers (different servers, btw) did the same thing.

The absolute last place a cockroach, fake or otherwise, should be is in a place where you eat food.

I can tolerate spiders, snakes (I pull them out of my pool barehanded all the time), and even mice. But I will absolutely lose my &$#@%! over a cockroach - especially on my dining table! If this ever happens to me, I will have everyone’s head on a platter, I swear to god. We have 2 more DCL cruises coming up and I’m already starting to stress over it.

So, I’m left wondering how prevalent this is. Anyone here (not on the Fantasy 8/7 sailing) experience this? I’m also formulating how I warn them not to do this to our table. I am super casual and jokey with the servers and I don’t want them to misinterpret that as permission to do something stupid. But I also don’t want to come out of the gate with stern warnings about heads and platters. Lol

In one of my recent cruise meet groups (the cruise ended a week ago) a woman said she was served a chocolate chip cookie that was fake and had a fake cockroach in it/under it. It was a “prank” pulled by the servers. Like.....instead of crayon puzzles they did this. A few other people came forward in the group and said their servers (different servers, btw) did the same thing.

The absolute last place a cockroach, fake or otherwise, should be is in a place where you eat food.

I can tolerate spiders, snakes (I pull them out of my pool barehanded all the time), and even mice. But I will absolutely lose my &$#@%! over a cockroach - especially on my dining table! If this ever happens to me, I will have everyone’s head on a platter, I swear to god. We have 2 more DCL cruises coming up and I’m already starting to stress over it.

So, I’m left wondering how prevalent this is. Anyone here (not on the Fantasy 8/7 sailing) experience this? I’m also formulating how I warn them not to do this to our table. I am super casual and jokey with the servers and I don’t want them to misinterpret that as permission to do something stupid. But I also don’t want to come out of the gate with stern warnings about heads and platters. Lol

I love a good joke as much as the next guy, but if true, this is remarkably ill-advised.

You can email Guest Services, or visit one of the dining-changes locations on embarkation day, or just tell your head or lead server as they seat you the first night.

Like you said, no need to go in with guns a-blazin’. Just a polite request that there be no attempts at humor involving food and bugs.

Last edited:

I never heard of this. To make sure it doesn’t happen to you let your servers know the first night you don’t want any practical jokes that has bugs.

That’s a bit of a bizarre prank. I’ve never witnessed anything like that but come to think of it, I did see a server with a fake rat toy at another table. It wasn’t in or under food though. He removed the metal plate cover/stacker and it was just on an empty plate... everyone seemed to be having a good time though.

I’ve seen servers have some sort of squeaker toy so when they go around the dining room u hear all these strange squeaking noises. It’s actually pretty funny but not everyone is amused so the server doing it was told to stop. That was on the Dream but they were doing it on the Fantasy as well so it must be somewhat common. The last night of the cruise everyone at the table told the head server to give the guy his squeaker toy back :rotfl2:

Fake Bugs in food...NOPE. Definitely crossing the line. New dish please.

Last edited:

That's horrible. I would seriously complain & give no extra gratuity if servers pulled that with us. We've sailed DCL 5 times & on every ship, and never were on the receiving end of any pranking at any time. Thank goodness.

I was on that cruise too (#12) and we got the fake ketchup bottle which about scared the crap out of me 😱 That’s the first time in all my cruises that I’ve seen pranks like that. It was the head server that did it too.

Not to rat out my mom... But on our cruise on the Fantasy this past May our server did it to her and she screamed so loud!
We had known our server from the past cruises, and we all like to joke back and forth with each other so it wasn't that big of a deal to us. But maybe just a little embarrassing for my mom 😅

The only time we've seen any kind of magic tricks/pranks was when the table next to us told the servers they wanted them. They didn't involve any kind of fake bugs in fake food though. I wouldn't be bother by it, but I agree they shouldn't do it since others would be.

That's horrible. I would seriously complain & give no extra gratuity if servers pulled that with us. We've sailed DCL 5 times & on every ship, and never were on the receiving end of any pranking at any time. Thank goodness.
Give no EXTRA gratuity? Not only would I pull all my tips for that person, but I would demand a new server. I would also follow up with a complaint at guest services. I don't care about the repercussions on the CM, because they need to be retrained. That would never be acceptable... unless it was obvious, like a cute stuffed cockroach with a big smile. Anything less is just mean and would ruin my dinner.

Not to rat out my mom... But on our cruise on the Fantasy this past May our server did it to her and she screamed so loud!
We had known our server from the past cruises, and we all like to joke back and forth with each other so it wasn't that big of a deal to us. But maybe just a little embarrassing for my mom 😅

So this cockroach thing DID actually happen to your mother too? I wonder if it’s just a few servers on the Fantasy - which doesn’t really help my stress because that’s what we’re sailing on in December.

Give no EXTRA gratuity? Not only would I pull all my tips for that person, but I would demand a new server. I would also follow up with a complaint at guest services. I don't care about the repercussions on the CM, because they need to be retrained. That would never be acceptable... unless it was obvious, like a cute stuffed cockroach with a big smile. Anything less is just mean and would ruin my dinner.

AMEN! I never “try and get people in trouble” but I am stressing out now at even the thought of this even being possible. Heads. On. Platter. Seriously.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!