Harmonius really being discontinued?

I'm not saying people can't have an opinion I just don't understand it. People complained about the last version too because they didn't understand what was happening when the earth barge was moving and why there were no fireworks then. People always seem to complain when a Disney show isn't the way they want it to be. It's like every time I hear people say that wishes was so amazing I keep thinking what was so good about a show with random Disney music and fireworks? I like the newer shows that have something besides fireworks to look at and I think they tell a story much better than the older ones did.

We're kind of going in circles. I never suggested you said people can't have an opinion. To me it's easy to understand when you consider that people have different opinions. I don't have the same opinion as you regarding new shows - but I understand why you like the new one.

I like the older shows - the ones with random Disney music and fireworks. I'm one of those you call haters who doesn't want something besides fireworks to look at and I complain when a show isn't the way I want it to be. To me that's the fun of these message boards - reading what other people think of shows at Disney.

I was hoping I could help you to understand why. I believe the reason people "hate on the barges" comes down to taste and opinion. And I sure don't like 'em.

Barges aren't going anywhere. They are much bigger than they look, and they are expensive. They're not going to get rid of them unless they can't maintain them, which is possible.

I think it's dead and the barges are going away for a combination of the following reasons.

1. Maintenance Costs —You can't tell me it's not more expensive to maintain these monstrosities than it was the previous Illuminations barges. The team can't work on them backstage, it's hard to get to them, they can't pull them out of the water, the arm has broken down multiple times and the fountains never worked properly. It's a cluster.

2. Guests Feedback — They just aren't staying around for it. Maybe they saw it once or twice, but compared to my last visit in December, no one was around for Harmonious a few weeks ago. Every post-trip survey I've received from Disney over the last year has had questions about Enchantment and Harmonious, they know people don't like it.

3. Dining Packages — The viewing angle of the show is terrible for the dining packages which is costing them money. People aren't booking them and that's $$$ lost.

4. D'Amaro's Awakening — I think we are about to see changes to the parks under Josh D'Amaro. He's got his money back. Cap spending, including domestic, is going back up. They aren't scared that the world is on fire anymore, all the international parks are open and making money again and they've got new competition coming in Florida. I also think Chapek needs D'Amaro right now and so his clout is rising in the company. If he manages to wrangle his P&L's back from Chapek's #2, Kareem Daniel, we may be in for some progress.

THIS - I was never a sight line purist or a lake sitter / viewer. I really didn't think I'd even notice them, but I can not describe to anyone who hasn't been just how ugly they are in person.

They put a lot into building them though, I'm afraid they'll be incorporated into whatever the future holds for Epcot shows. Plus whenever I see that particular source for a rumor I just assume the opposite will be true. 🤷‍♀️

This was me as well. I read all the posts on here and rolled my eyes at the usual QQ. Then I went there and OMG. They really were an eyesore. I have to say, I would not be sad if they went away.

Having said that, that is a HUGE 180 for Disney on what was an incredible expense and hype. I would have thought they would carry it a bit longer.

I think it's dead and the barges are going away for a combination of the following reasons.

1. Maintenance Costs —You can't tell me it's not more expensive to maintain these monstrosities than it was the previous Illuminations barges. The team can't work on them backstage, it's hard to get to them, they can't pull them out of the water, the arm has broken down multiple times and the fountains never worked properly. It's a cluster.

2. Guests Feedback — They just aren't staying around for it. Maybe they saw it once or twice, but compared to my last visit in December, no one was around for Harmonious a few weeks ago. Every post-trip survey I've received from Disney over the last year has had questions about Enchantment and Harmonious, they know people don't like it.

3. Dining Packages — The viewing angle of the show is terrible for the dining packages which is costing them money. People aren't booking them and that's $$$ lost.

4. D'Amaro's Awakening — I think we are about to see changes to the parks under Josh D'Amaro. He's got his money back. Cap spending, including domestic, is going back up. They aren't scared that the world is on fire anymore, all the international parks are open and making money again and they've got new competition coming in Florida. I also think Chapek needs D'Amaro right now and so his clout is rising in the company. If he manages to wrangle his P&L's back from Chapek's #2, Kareem Daniel, we may be in for some progress.

The only thing damaros proven is that he can do what his boss tells him to.

We actually like harmonious but are ok with it going. The barges seem to be very problematic - I think we have seen maintenance going on every time we go to the parks. That alone may be too much of an ongoing issue to keep them - I don’t know. I don’t really care if they stay or go but am looking forward to seeing the new show. Drones would be an awesome addition to the show - the things they can do and formations etc are really entertaining.

All I know is if they take away Spaceship Earth's lights, people are gonna riot.

The WDW Web site is now saying the Beacons of Magic are going away with a picture of all of them including EPCOT.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/50th-anniversary/
This ^^^ a thousand times this. The Spaceship Earth lights were the only thing I really liked about the 50th "celebration". (OK - Kite Tails was a hoot, but for all the wrong reasons 😂) Enchantment is fine, but it's soulless and don't get me started on Bargemonious. But I tear up each and every time I see Spaceship Earth light up. Even if it's sitting my couch watching a Youtube video or on the bus back from Disney Springs. It just gets me, every time!!

This needs to continue. Disney, are you listening??? Zach????

But I tear up each and every time I see Spaceship Earth light up. Even if it's sitting my couch watching a Youtube video or on the bus back from Disney Springs. It just gets me, every time!!

This needs to continue. Disney, are you listening??? Zach????

Same. The EPCOT 40 show with "We Go On." 😭 I'm not sure who picked "Someday" to end Harmonious, but what an odd and depressing replacement for "We Go On."

All I know is if they take away Spaceship Earth's lights, people are gonna riot.

The WDW Web site is now saying the Beacons of Magic are going away with a picture of all of them including EPCOT.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/50th-anniversary/

Agree that is the best thing to come from the 50th celebration. I really hope it stays. It can't cost much other than replacing lights that go out. I really hope it stays. It adds a ton to the atmosphere

I liked Harmonious! I got to see it from near the gift shop at the beginning of the World Showcase so it didn't occur to me that from the back it would possibly be vastly different. But then so would the MK fireworks show I guess.

It was announced they were going to change Harmonius, not that they were scrapping the barges. Most of what I read on it, the consensus was they were updating the arrangement/songs.
I was there, he said new night time show. No mention of updating the existing. I think it’s done.

A lot of their rumours haven't come true I would take anything they post as click bait and with a grain of salt until there is an actual anointment from Disney.
They have inside information, it just doesn’t always come true. Even when Disney makes announcements they always don’t come true a lot of times. Things happen and decisions change. They are not the only one saying they are going.

I totally agree, it's the like the lights were always supposed to be there! IMO it not only enhances Spaceship Earth but the whole park and even adds to the overall of WDW as you can see them far off.

I totally agree! How long did they leave that huge wand arm thing up on SE? A few years IIRC. The Sorcerer’s Hat in DHS lasted even longer than that. Hopefully they can keep the lights up for a bit longer at least.

But then so would the MK fireworks show I guess.

Big difference.

You can see Enchantment from the side, down Main Street, the hub (which is huge), Casey's, etc. and be fine. To see the full show of Harmonious you have to be at World Showcase Plaza or the American Adventure only. If you can't see the middle of the stargate, you miss most of the visual portion of the show.

The dining packages were at Morocco and the UK. They just don't cut it for this show.

Attachments

• IMG_2381.jpeg
    IMG_2381.jpeg
    93.5 KB · Views: 18
I saw a post today from a WDW news site that said they're going to destroy the barges and replace Harmonius with the drone show that we were promised. I would love to see the barges out of there during the day, but I'm a little skeptical that they would destroy the investment this quickly?

Has anyone seen this coming from any other outlet? This site hasn't been batting 1000 with previous announcements.
First, that website has no credibility per Disney themselves. There has only been rumbling that it would make more sense if the barges are the issue, so good guess, but no one is leaking to that site anymore.

Disney announced at D23 that Harmonious was leaving and ... "A brand-new nighttime spectacular will come to the World Showcase Lagoon at EPCOT in late 2023 as part of the Disney100 Celebration."

https://d23.com/disney-parks-experi...eviews-its-boundless-future-at-d23-expo-2022/

There has been no announcement that the barges are leaving or staying BUT if we want to conjecture ... why do they need to replace a brand new show. I went in prepared to hate it just like the last one but I liked it. I took a HARDCORE Illuminations purist and they loved it. It did what it should do, incorporate the countries and a connection while doing what Disney is doing now, injecting IPs. It worked. SO why? Our GUESS is the barges are not just an awful eyesore that ruins the daytime (the point of the lagoon is to make us feel the world is smaller but the barges break the site line) but that perhaps they are expensive to maintain, fix (many many complaints about it not working right, arms broken etc) and they see no long term solution. I mean what more can they do that would change the show if they kept them? It seems rather pointless to just spend money to change the show unless the barges and their placement are the actual problem. I will say that I haven't seen the crowds staying like we used to for other shows. Disney has nighttime shows so you stay all day, spending money, eating dinner.

Drones. Wouldn't we all love it. Problem is the lagoon is part of the no fly zone. Disney would have to get the FAA to give them a waiver. Since many in FL government have engaged in conversation to strip Disney of their no fly zone, this is a fine line for Disney to walk. I believe I remember they tried for a waiver years before that didn't work out. I would love a drones show, I don't know at this point if that is a battle Disney wants to engage in.

I can't find anything from Disney but there were rumblings that Epcot Forever would return between Harmonious closing and the new show. I mean now that Kite Tails has closed-closed the wave runners are ready to do their thing. I'd have to think those barges would be in the way of that show.

It is going to be interesting for sure to see how this plays out but all we know is Harmonious is leaving.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter