Happily Ever After Begins Here -- An Oct. 2012 TR Updated! 11/17!

Excellent updates!

Those are the best fireworks pictures that I have ever seen. So amazing!

Before we continue I almost forgot that I took a video of Sugar Ray at the Eat to the Beat concert.
Enjoy “Fly” by Sugar Ray. [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7JIHL-8mKs”]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7JIHL-8mKs[/URL]

Our last chapter, we watched Illuminations from the preferred viewing spot from Snack Attack. Missy was pretty beat from the long day and especially from her medical treatment the day before. So she made her way back to Beach Club. What was I doing? Well, Epcot had EMH that night that would last until midnight. I thought this would be a great opportunity to shoot Epcot at night and with fewer people.

I didn’t have a set plan for this. So, I just started at the closest country and worked my way around the world showcase. I also wanted to experiment with a new lens Missy bought me a while back. It’s an ultra-wide angle lens. Actually, we bought it from someone most of you are familiar with, Tom Bricker (from the Disney Tourist Blog).

So with my tripod in hand, I headed off.
i-fKK4VdF-L.jpg

Onward we go to... Mexico!
DSC_0561-L.jpg

This series of photos my camera is on a tripod and the exposures are between 10 and 30 seconds long.

DSC_0562-L.jpg

Then over to Norway...
DSC_0565-L.jpg

A mosey over to China...
DSC_0566-L.jpg

And a stop in Germany.
DSC_0569-L.jpg

On some of the wider shots I tried to get up close to get a different perspective.

DSC_0572-L.jpg

I also had a 50mm f/1.4 lens for some blurry-background goodness.
DSC_0574-L.jpg

Onto Italy!
While I was taking shots at Spaceship Earth, I turned around and saw Italy nicely framed up for me with the gondola.
DSC_0592-L.jpg

Closer to home at the American Adventure Pavillion...
Yeah, I was pretty much in the fountain for this.
DSC_0594-L.jpg

Went further East to Japan...

DSC_0595-L.jpg

DSC_0596-L.jpg

Hey! It’s Moroco, you know, where I was supposed to meet Missy earlier in the night.

DSC_0599-L.jpg

DSC_0603-L.jpg

Next was a little jaunt to France.

This one took a while to get right. I wanted to retain detail in the bright fountain yet make sure the background wasn’t too dark.

DSC_0606-L.jpg

I guess I skipped the United Kingdom. Oops, sorry!

Oh, Canada, you’re up next.

If you look really hard, you can see stars in the sky. This was nearly a one-minute exposure.

DSC_0608-L.jpg

Missy wanted a photo of the lights in the sidewalk. I like this shot with people in it, so you don’t lose context.

DSC_0615-L.jpg

DSC_0626-L.jpg

And there’s always room for a few more photos of Spaceship Earth.
A gorgeous moon was rising over Epcot.

DSC_0627-L.jpg

Apparently, I had a thing for fountains that night.

DSC_0632-L.jpg

Food and Wine!
DSC_0637-L.jpg

It was a good thing Missy wasn’t with me this night. I was taking a long time choosing what to shoot then more time setting it up. She would have been bored out of her mind. But she does get an idea of it later in this trip when I shoot Magic Kingdom at night.

Midnight had finally come. Though I could have stayed a bit later until they kicked me out, I was too tired anyway. Back to Beach Club for me. I got back to the room and of course Missy was passed out.

Not just yet for me. I have a nightly routine on our trips. I make sure all the electronics are charging for the next day. I copy the all the day’s photos onto another device -- I always have 2 copies during the trip. And I reorganize the camera bag for the next day. I take a lot more camera gear than the average person, so the lenses and accessories get tossed around. It all has to stay organized so I can get to things quickly. Photo opportunites don’t usually wait for you, especially at Disney.

That’s it, my solo night in Epcot. What’s your favorite country in the World Showcase? Are there countries you like better at night than at the day?

Just beautiful!!! The World Showcase is really pretty-and your photos are amazing. Thank you for sharing.

Beautiful, Franklin.

(And, just want to say, I just finished my second night at Epcot - your Illuminations hints helped a lot :thumbsup2 )

Joining in late but enjoying your TR !!! Franklin's photos are "blow your mind" amazing !! Wow. I have so enjoyed looking at them.

Looking forward to reading more !!

Wow - words can't really describe how awesome your photos are! I especially love the one of Italy and Japan (w/SE in the background). I would have to say that it's a toss up of which country is my fav - both Germany and Japan are my favs. Can't wait to see the MK shots!

What a beautiful photo shoot of Epcot!

How fun that your tour started with a picture of you and your camera & tripod. :)

I love the perspective on the picture of Italy. The two pictures of the twinkling lights made me smile. Awesome!

And I haven't really noticed the designs in the sidewalk in front of Space Ship Earth before. Very cool!

I'm embarassed to admit that when we travel with the boys, we don't spend much time in the World Showcase. I think my favorite country is Mexico- the plaza is fun, the boat ride is ok (it was much better before the ducks invaded) and the pyramid is intriguing.

Japan has a lot too offer too, with the huge shop, beautiful and peaceful gardens and sushi!

Thank you, Franklin, for offering a pleasant distraction today.

Wonderful shots of Epcot. You did an amazing job of capturing its beauty at night!

I love Japan, and your photo really did it justice.

I'm also impressed at how you captured the sidewalk lights. Love how the people are silhouetted in the background.

One of the great advantages of staying at the BC - wander Epcot until your heart's content, and then it is only a few steps to home!

Can't wait to see more of your photos!

Wow, Franklin! Once again, your pictures are absolutely gorgeous. I'm pretty dense when it comes to photography talk, but it seems like whatever you did with those pictures was the right thing to do! :rotfl: Excellent job! I especially love the photo from China, and the 'pavement light' ones! Beautiful.

OH. EMMM. GEEEEEE. Holy awesome photos! :worship::worship::worship:

Wow. Simply gorgeous. I love all of the pavilions but especially love the shot you got of Italy with the gondola. :)

Your photos transport me right back to the happy place. :goodvibes

The Disney Food Blog snack event looks awesome. How cool to have all of the iconic snacks available in one place in mini form and be amongst other Disney lovers???

Stormalong Bay is definitely one of the great perks of staying at the Beach Club. It's one of my favorite resorts for sure.

Look at your toes in that picture! So so cool.

So Franklin sinks too huh? I have a friend that can't float either. I definitely don't know what that feels like. I'm extremely buoyant. :rotfl:

Man, that commute to Epcot from the Beach Club is a killer, isn't it? ;)

Haha, I totally remember getting your first booth visit wrong on Facebook. LOL.

I used to be so in love with Mark McGrath back in the day. Love love loved.

Yay on finding a dress! That's so awesome.

Hahaha, thank goodness you guys ended up finding each other in the end.

That party sounds amazing! I so want to go. So so want to go. I remember looking at this update on my iPhone and being like OMG!

The carrot cake cookie is freakin' amazing, isn't it? That and the red velvet cupcake are definitely my favorites.

Yay, Franklin fireworks pictures! They get me every time.

Franklin, your pictures are just absolutely breathtaking.

As for a camera suggestion, I would recommend the Canon S110. It's a very capable point-and-shoot that isn't too intimidating. It packs in more high-end features, like manual controls and RAW format, than bling features. It has a 5X zoom which is more than most people would need. My "everyday lens" on my big camera zooms the same distance and then I'll switch to lenses that don't zoom at all. Zoom with your feet! The main reason I like this camera is its amazing image quality. It "only" has 12 megapixels, which is an advantage in small cameras. High megapixel cameras, like 16 or 20MP, just shove more pixels in the same space which actually reduces image quality. It's that darn physics getting in the way. But people don't need more than 16MP anyways, unless they are printing 20x30 posters all the time.
Here's a review: http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/canon_powershot_s110_review/

There is also last years model, the S100. Same image quality but is about $70 less and the main difference is that it doesn't have a touchscreen and wifi.

So glad you posted this...:goodvibes... read review too... looks like a nice camera and at a reasonable price point...:thumbsup2

Thank you! I work for an architecture firm doing space planning for medical facilities. Not that creative, unfortunately. You could say Disney is my outlet.

you are very talented... just saw the most recent update and those photos are incredibly lovely...:goodvibes

And if you haven't found the BC thread yet: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3025785

Thanks for this... planning on checking it out ....

Hmmm... funny your WS question...:scratchin I'm always a huge fan of the whole France, Morocco, Japan stretch...

I'd have to say nightime adds a whole new depth of appreciation for Germany and Italy- there are some details there in those night photos you took that I don't notice as much in the day... as well as the outside of Mexico... those were pretty great too- some of that detail doesn't stand out for me as much in the day...

oh... honestly your photos are awesome... they make all the countries look great...:thumbsup2

Amazing pictures Franklin!!!!!!! Absolutely beautiful. Thank you for sharing those with us, I look forward to your Magic Kingdom night too!!!

Just beautiful!!! The World Showcase is really pretty-and your photos are amazing. Thank you for sharing.

Thank you and you're welcome!

Beautiful, Franklin.

(And, just want to say, I just finished my second night at Epcot - your Illuminations hints helped a lot :thumbsup2 )

I wasn't sure if you were going to be able to get back and read it in time before that night. I'm happy the tips worked for you!

Joining in late but enjoying your TR !!! Franklin's photos are "blow your mind" amazing !! Wow. I have so enjoyed looking at them.

:welcome: Thanks for the compliments!

Wow - words can't really describe how awesome your photos are! I especially love the one of Italy and Japan (w/SE in the background). I would have to say that it's a toss up of which country is my fav - both Germany and Japan are my favs. Can't wait to see the MK shots!

Thanks! The Italy shot is also one my of my favorites.

What a beautiful photo shoot of Epcot!

How fun that your tour started with a picture of you and your camera & tripod. :)

I love the perspective on the picture of Italy. The two pictures of the twinkling lights made me smile. Awesome!

And I haven't really noticed the designs in the sidewalk in front of Space Ship Earth before. Very cool!

I'm embarassed to admit that when we travel with the boys, we don't spend much time in the World Showcase. I think my favorite country is Mexico- the plaza is fun, the boat ride is ok (it was much better before the ducks invaded) and the pyramid is intriguing.

Japan has a lot too offer too, with the huge shop, beautiful and peaceful gardens and sushi!

Thank you, Franklin, for offering a pleasant distraction today.

Thanks, and you're welcome, for the distraction!

Wonderful shots of Epcot. You did an amazing job of capturing its beauty at night!

I love Japan, and your photo really did it justice.

I'm also impressed at how you captured the sidewalk lights. Love how the people are silhouetted in the background.

One of the great advantages of staying at the BC - wander Epcot until your heart's content, and then it is only a few steps to home!

Can't wait to see more of your photos!

Thanks! 9 Days left on this trip. Plenty more photos too!

AMAZING World Showcase photos!!!

Thank you, so much!

Wow, Franklin! Once again, your pictures are absolutely gorgeous. I'm pretty dense when it comes to photography talk, but it seems like whatever you did with those pictures was the right thing to do! :rotfl: Excellent job! I especially love the photo from China, and the 'pavement light' ones! Beautiful.

Thanks for the compliments! I tired to keep it simple for everyone to understand.

OH. EMMM. GEEEEEE. Holy awesome photos! :worship::worship::worship:

Wow. Simply gorgeous. I love all of the pavilions but especially love the shot you got of Italy with the gondola. :)

The Disney Food Blog snack event looks awesome. How cool to have all of the iconic snacks available in one place in mini form and be amongst other Disney lovers???

Thank you! They are fun to go back and look through.

Stormalong Bay is definitely one of the great perks of staying at the Beach Club. It's one of my favorite resorts for sure.

So Franklin sinks too huh? I have a friend that can't float either. I definitely don't know what that feels like. I'm extremely buoyant. :rotfl:

That party sounds amazing! I so want to go. So so want to go. I remember looking at this update on my iPhone and being like OMG!

The carrot cake cookie is freakin' amazing, isn't it? That and the red velvet cupcake are definitely my favorites.

Yay, Franklin fireworks pictures! They get me every time.

Franklin, your pictures are just absolutely breathtaking.

Thanks! I thought my arms where tired from the workout I had right before our trip. Nope, it was from treading water all afternoon. There are a lot more fireworks coming up too!

As for a camera suggestion, I would recommend the Canon S110. It's a very capable point-and-shoot that isn't too intimidating. It packs in more high-end features, like manual controls and RAW format, than bling features. It has a 5X zoom which is more than most people would need. My "everyday lens" on my big camera zooms the same distance and then I'll switch to lenses that don't zoom at all. Zoom with your feet! The main reason I like this camera is its amazing image quality. It "only" has 12 megapixels, which is an advantage in small cameras. High megapixel cameras, like 16 or 20MP, just shove more pixels in the same space which actually reduces image quality. It's that darn physics getting in the way. But people don't need more than 16MP anyways, unless they are printing 20x30 posters all the time.
Here's a review: http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/canon_powershot_s110_review/

There is also last years model, the S100. Same image quality but is about $70 less and the main difference is that it doesn't have a touchscreen and wifi.

So glad you posted this...:goodvibes... read review too... looks like a nice camera and at a reasonable price point...:thumbsup2

Thank you! I work for an architecture firm doing space planning for medical facilities. Not that creative, unfortunately. You could say Disney is my outlet.

you are very talented... just saw the most recent update and those photos are incredibly lovely...:goodvibes

And if you haven't found the BC thread yet: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3025785

Hmmm... funny your WS question...:scratchin I'm always a huge fan of the whole France, Morocco, Japan stretch...

I'd have to say nightime adds a whole new depth of appreciation for Germany and Italy- there are some details there in those night photos you took that I don't notice as much in the day... as well as the outside of Mexico... those were pretty great too- some of that detail doesn't stand out for me as much in the day...

oh... honestly your photos are awesome... they make all the countries look great...:thumbsup2

Thanks! I'm happy I was able to point you in the right direction, with the camera choice.

Amazing pictures Franklin!!!!!!! Absolutely beautiful. Thank you for sharing those with us, I look forward to your Magic Kingdom night too!!!

Thank you, so much! I can't wait to share them.

Greetings friends! I hope everyone is getting all their holiday shopping done and enjoying many, many delicious Christmas cookies!

I had a question for all of you... For those of you who have followed my TRs and PTRs in the past, you might remember that I typically do a countdown to my next Disney trip. Is everyone up for a countdown here for our January trip? We were thinking of counting down with our favorite Disney restaurants. Thoughts? :scratchin

The sidewalk lights are one of those perfect Disney details. It's not entirely important to your vacation, but it serves as a reminder that Disney goes that step further than anyone would expect. :goodvibes

:welcome: You're not late, you're right on time. We've only just begun!

There's nothing better than being able to get back to your resort by your own two feet. Disney transportation, shmansportation. :rotfl2:

My secret is that sometimes, when I'm having a bad day at work, I'll pull up Franklin's Disney pictures during my lunch and just soak in the magic. pixiedust:

Snack Attack was so much fun, we met some awesome people and got to try some really yummy treats!

I think I underestimated just how cool SAB really is. We'll definitely be back again.

You and me both, sister. I have nooooooo problems floating.

I don't know how people handle it day after day. ;) Honestly, I think the biggest problem staying at those Epcot resorts is forcing yourself to visit parks NOT named Epcot and DHS. :rotfl:

D'Oh! I meant to include the FB guesses in the post!

Me too! Funny story... Here in D.C. there used to be this HUGE rock festival every year called HFStival. I went to these concerts every year in high school. Sugar Ray played at the festival my sophomore year (it was just after "Fly" became huge). I remember them playing "Fly" to open their set, which was cool because it was the song we all knew. But at that time, Sugar Ray was really more of a hard-rock band and so their set got really loud after that and we all kind of looked at each other like, "why can't they play more songs like 'Fly'?"

Thanks! Since I can't post a picture of the dress on here, I figured I could give you guys a preview of the tiara I just ordered. I mean, how can a Disney princess get married without a proper tiara?!?!?!

yhst-42929299039964_2224_491214821_l.jpg

I was panicked about finding him, so I was so freaking relieved when we found each other. Phew! Luckily we had a really fun event to get to, which took some of the frustration out of the situation.

Mmmmm, that carrot cake cookie is the truth. Seriously, it popped up in a dream I had the other night. I cannot wait to have another one!

Isn't it incredible how detailed everything is in the World Showcase?!?! And you're right, it all looks so different at night. Sigh, I love Disney. :love:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter