Handicapped?

QuidditchChick07

Earning My Ears
How wide are the halls? One of our party is now insistent that she bring a collapsible wheelchair because she doesn't feel she can walk the ship with her walker and we leave in a month. I'm a bit concerned it will be difficult to get her down the hall. I've been on cruises. I know how narrow those halls are and how crowded they are with people in them. Are the DCL halls any wider than, say, Carnival or RCL?

Last edited:
The halls are wide enough for a wheel chair. Sometimes the stateroom hosts' carts get in the way and you might need to ask them to move one for you, but since the wheel chair is collapsible it might be simpler to have your "rider" stand up, fold up the wheel chair and move on.

My DMIL used a wheel chair on cruises and the halls seemed to be about the same width from one cruise line to another. One night she decided to walk to the dining room because she didn't want to be a burden and have someone push her wheel chair. She had a very bad fall right in the atrium, hit her head on the marble floor with very loud thud, and had a bad headache from it for the rest of the cruise.

Also, you might assign someone to count baggage -- DMIL left her walker behind on a cruise once (because she was using the wheel chair to disembark) and we had to have DCL ship the walker home.

Ok. I was just concerned that she would get frustrated trying to get around. She can get out on her own, she just has to have the chair.

Elevators will be the frustrating part. They only hold so many people and there are people that will rush in front of the wheelchair. We experienced that on several cruises.

Hallways are wide enough as long as people don't leave items outside their rooms -- ECVs, strollers, food trays -- housekeeping carts are big but the stateroom hosts are nearby and will gladly move the cart if necessary. Since it sounds like she does walk, as PP suggests maybe she would be comfortable standing up and walking past with the chair folded. She may or may not need to fold the chair to get into the stateroom as the doors are narrow unless you have booked an HA stateroom. I'm assuming she doesn't not need the chair to get around the room; it can be folded and tucked out of the way somewhere.

Some doorways have a rather large lip, mainly doorways to the outside decks. If someone else is pushing this shouldn't be a problem but if she is trying to self-propel it might be harder. Also some of the doors are heavy and that's one of the complaints from people using mobility devices.

Try using the forward or aft elevators instead of midship. They tend to be slightly less crowded. And be willing to get on in the opposite direction if necessary -- for example, to go from the atrium to the pool deck get on an elevator going down and then ride back up.

Will she bring the walker as well? How does she plan to get around in the ports? Many are not as accessible as the US, and some excursions may or may not allow wheelchairs. You'll want to keep that in mind when planning your days.

Enjoy your cruise!

Elevators will be the frustrating part. They only hold so many people and there are people that will rush in front of the wheelchair. We experienced that on several cruises.

We've traveled with parents who are mobile but needed wheelchairs on the ship to go the long distances from place to place. The elevators were the most frustrating. (But they were also where we got a display of some great human kindness - so not always a negative experience.) The hallways were not an issue and for the most part we were able to navigate quickly (and as a pp said, a couple of times we had my parents get out of the chairs, quickly folded the chairs at least a little bit to get past an obstacle and then got my parents seated again). When passing people, they were typically very courteous in the hallways and there are some spots in front of doors where the hallway is a little wider and we would pull over to let people pass us or people would step in there so we could get by. I wouldn't stress about her having the chair. The only inconvenient part may be where to store it when in the cabin if you don't have an accessible room.

The stateroom hallways are narrower (although in ADA compliance) than the public area hallways. I'd suggest taking the nearest elevator up to whatever deck you want to go to, and go from there

Also think about if she needs help with steps up. All the bathrooms are a step up into them and the tubs feel higher then standard tubs. I twisted my ankle on my first Disney cruise slipping in the shower so I always caution those with limited mobility to consider that when they aren't booked in a accessible room.

Also think about if she needs help with steps up. All the bathrooms are a step up into them and the tubs feel higher then standard tubs. I twisted my ankle on my first Disney cruise slipping in the shower so I always caution those with limited mobility to consider that when they aren't booked in a accessible room.

Woah, that's good to know. I mean, I doubt she'll have issues with the one step up to the bathroom, but the tub potentially being taller than usual is good to know. Did you slip because the bottom was slick or because you weren't used to the height?

Woah, that's good to know. I mean, I doubt she'll have issues with the one step up to the bathroom, but the tub potentially being taller than usual is good to know. Did you slip because the bottom was slick or because you weren't used to the height?

Not really sure which one it was. I had just come back from running the 5K. It may be the combination to be honest. My tub at home is similar height and I slip on it all the time to the point I told my fiance the last time we have to do something about it.

My son is in a wheelchair. We have found it to be extremely helpful to try to book a room by the forward or aft elevators. This way we don't have to navigate the hallways very much with the wheelchair and the forward and aft elevators seem to be a little less crowded.

I agree! The forward and aft elevators are significantly less crowded. I would walk all the way aft or forward just to avoid the midship elevators!What type of walker does the person in your party have? If they could rent one of the rollator walkers that has the little seat, it may help on any excursions you have booked as a lot of countries are not very ADA-friendly. That way they could sit when needed (if a wheelchair is unable to be brought along). It also helps hold things a lot better than a standard front-wheeled walker (think of trying to carry beverages/trays in Cabanas).

Perhaps she can push her wheelchair (partially collapsed, so it's narrower) from her room to the elevator lobby. Then ride the rest of the way....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter