Hand sanitizer stations?

Even soap and water can't kill the norovirus. It's the process of scrubbing with soap creating lubrication then washing it away that get it off our hands.... And let me tell you not everyone manages properly. You have to make sure you scrub for at least a minute and make sure you get all areas (backs of hands, in between fingers etc).... And make sure you dry properly.

I'm not a germophobe, but I spent a full day learning this stuff as part of my nursing training!

When I was in nursing school (about 30 years ago), I had an older instructer my first semester that I still remember. We had to get checked off on handwashing technique and she made us sing either the ABCs twice through or two verses of Old McDonald, while we were washing our hands. I hated that check off, not because I didn't know the proper hand washing technique, but that I really can't sing and she made us sing loudly, as we were concentrating on our technique. I no longer sing out loud when I wash my hands, but do think two verses of Old McDonald when I'm washing them.:rotfl: It's funny the things that stick with you through the years. At my current job, we have to go through Refresher training every year on our hire date. One of the courses we have to take is on infection control and we have an answer section that includes the steps of handwashing and one of the questions is how long to rub your hands with soap.

I'm glad they don't have those stations because my kids think they need to stop at them every. single. time they see one. I'm not a germaphobe at all and don't use sanitizer often, but I do use it occasionally. My kids probably have excellent immune systems, even with all the sanitizer they use in school, but what I want to know is why, if hand sanitizer is so bad, does every medical facility have sanitizer every 5 feet?

That's funny. I'm at work right now and we have several bottles of hand sanitzer sitting next to every computer in the nurses station, plus a dispenser next to the soap dispenser at every sink, plus several bottles next to the sink in the med room. I'm looking at one not a foot from me right now.:rotfl: Our hospital keeps them sitting around everywhere, where staff always has access, but one of the test questions we have to answer for our refresher training each year has to do with how hand washing is so much better than using hand sanitizer and how hand sanitizer is only to be used when hand washing is not available (yet they keep hand sanitizer in dispensers right next to the soap dispenser at each sink).:rotfl:

The reason we have so many knocking about the wards over here is for convenience. We are taught in infection control that you must wash your hands in between every single patient task. So when your doing the med rounds you dispense to patient 1, wash hands, dispense to patient 2, wash hands and so on. Imagine having to do this for 30 patients on a ward. You'd be at it for hours therefore the powers that be see it as better to wash at the start of the med round, sanitize in between each patient then wash at the end (or when you leave a bay if your ward is set up like that).

Little side note the worst offenders in hospitals for not washing hands or sanitising are doctors.... Their infection control practices are shocking sometimes!

When did we get so neurotic about germs and bugs? We now have viruses becoming immune to antibiotics because of the over use of them people are worried about touching a menu!!!! I have seen people on this board talking about using sanitising bombs to clean their hotel rooms before sleeping in them. We didn't become the dominant species on the planet by being neurotic lets not risk losing that for a little neurosis.

Viruses are not typically treated with antibiotics. Bacterial Infections are. That's why most doctors won't give you antibiotics if you come in with a virus.

I carry the Wet Ones wipes and we use those a lot in the parks. Washing hands is most ideal, but the wipes are convenient and are certainly better than doing nothing before you eat.

When washing hands, I do make sure to use hot water (though sometimes it came out just warm) and wash thoroughly. I like those rapid automatic hand dryers and wish all places would have those.

Viruses are not typically treated with antibiotics. Bacterial Infections are. That's why most doctors won't give you antibiotics if you come in with a virus.

I think the poster you quoted just used the wrong words, bacteria is becoming resistant and overuse of ABX is considered one of the reasons.

For a while, docs would write an ABX Rx to appease the patient or parents of the patient, even if a virus was the cause of the illness, like a cold. I saw this first-hand AND heard the docs talk about it.
I think this practice has been largely discontinued because of the fear of super-bugs, but it did happen.

I have a product called Nixall that is supposed to kill a long list, including noroviruses because it's hypochlorous acid, without creating resistance. I don't use it for sanitation, but for healing. We are a soap and water family for general cleanliness.

When did we get so neurotic about germs and bugs? We now have viruses becoming immune to antibiotics because of the over use of them people are worried about touching a menu!!!! I have seen people on this board talking about using sanitising bombs to clean their hotel rooms before sleeping in them. We didn't become the dominant species on the planet by being neurotic lets not risk losing that for a little neurosis.

Hard not to agree with you, and you reminded me of the last time I went to the doctor. I had a viral problem (don't remember specifics, it's been too long). The doctor offered me an antibiotic, which I said no to and asked why he offered. He said that many people ask for it because it makes them feel like they got something to help. He said he never takes them. I assume he doesn't say no to the people because he could lose a patient and because they could go to another doctor to get the antibiotics anyway. It is just strange to me that someone would ask for an antibiotic for something viral, and that the doctor would say yes.

I honestly don't know what is in those towelettes, but the CDC website states that the norovirus can only be killed by a certain concentration of bleach (I don't remember the concentration level required).

Your best hope with the norovirus is that you are one of the approx 30% of people who are asymptomatic once being infected. :thumbsup2

The ingredient is Benzethonium Chloride.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter