Halloween Time Superthread 2019: "Oogie Boogie Bash" Party to Be Held in DCA ONLY! and Other Halloween Time Information

Status
Not open for further replies.
This was a most helpful and enjoyable planning thread. Thanks to everyone for their input. I'm going to miss it! I was pleasantly surprised by our OBB experience on Halloween. My db and I had more fun at the OBB than we did last year on Halloween at MHP. We found the interactive treat trails to be a blast. I went as an aging Queen Ravenna and he was the Huntman (I realized after I chose this as a good sibling theme that this is Universal not Disney but it was a fun one). And security didn't have a problem with his ax or the knives in his belt. And both Queens had great fun interacting with us and with him in particular--especially when he said to Malificent that he was going to slay her.

We also really enjoyed Villains Grove; we went during the beginning of the parade and pretty much had it to ourselves and we found it delightfully well done and magical. I see how crowds would have diminished this quite a bit. We caught the tail end of the parade from the Sonoma Terrace and found it lackluster because of the bright lights from Paradise Pier. Like The Lucky Rabbit I hope that next year includes additional mood setting lighting and sounds like Villains Grove around DCA.
So glad you enjoyed your party! Do you have any photos of your costumes? Agree with you that this year's superthread really was a fun one!

I really enjoyed living vicariously through everyone in this thread. We are 75% sure we will be there for a party next year. This was the first year in the last three we haven't went down and I regretted it all month. I loved it at Disneyland but wouldn't mind going to DCA for it. I just think I'd miss the Dapper Dan's so much, that is my daughter's and my favorite part. She was 4 the first time she saw them coming out of the fog singing one of her favorite songs (This is Halloween) and she still tells people about how cool it was.
This is me too! We have gone the past few years but did not make it this time (and I also regretted it all month long ;)). I think the party could be great at DCA and hope to catch it there next year, maybe by then they will have more feedback from guests about what worked and what they missed from the DL party.

Was I the only one who got a survey? I was approached basically every evening about one. It was very thorough and focussed a lot on characters and entertainment, including what worked better or worse than at the other park.

I really think they are trying to get this right. It was a great start, but there's certainly room for improvement.

This has been such a fun thread to read and I’m saving now for our party tickets next year. I’m really excited about all the villains present at DCA. The only party we’ve ever been to is Mickey’s Not So Scary at WDW in 2015, and they were cost cutting big time and Malificent was removed and several others amazing characters. It just wasn’t an amazing experience for the expense. Sounds like that’s not an issue at DLR.

I enjoyed the party we attended, but will not do it again unless it goes back to DL.

Was I the only one who got a survey? I was approached basically every evening about one. It was very thorough and focussed a lot on characters and entertainment, including what worked better or worse than at the other park.

I really think they are trying to get this right. It was a great start, but there's certainly room for improvement.
I got one after I got back from the Oct 17th party. I was very honest and thorough. I agree, it was a good start but they have a lot of room for improvement. I basically threw WOC under the bus though and tore it to shreds.

I got one after I got back from the Oct 17th party. I was very honest and thorough. I agree, it was a good start but they have a lot of room for improvement. I basically threw WOC under the bus though and tore it to shreds.

That's the trouble with being honest - I didn't bother with WoC after the bad reviews. So I had nothing to throw under the bus. lol

That's the trouble with being honest - I didn't bother with WoC after the bad reviews. So I had nothing to throw under the bus. lol
As sad as it made me that "WOC Villainous" wasn't as good as we had hoped it would be, I have to admit that it was a relief that there wasn't the huge pressure to find good viewing spots and to waste party time holding them like there would have been in DL for "Halloween Screams." It was such a load off our shoulders to not have to worry about that and to just enjoy the party.

As sad as it made me that "WOC Villainous" wasn't as good as we had hoped it would be...
You are too kind, I put it more bluntly: Villainous is by far the worst version of WOC :headache:

...I have to admit that it was a relief that there wasn't the huge pressure to find good viewing spots and to waste party time holding them like there would have been in DL for "Halloween Screams." It was such a load off our shoulders to not have to worry about that and to just enjoy the party.

I have a friend who visited Disney during the Halloween period and was curious (in a geeky sort of way!) how they manage the changeover between the normal experience and the Monsters After Dark variant.

Apparently, people who join the queue before the changeover get the normal experience, but considering that the whole experience changes - the ride programming, lighting and effects, including the pre-show rooms - there must be a cut-off point where the changeover happens. Do they have some sort of marker that indicates the end of the "normal experience" line (like at busy attractions to mark where the line starts) , a cast member joining the queue at that point maybe, or do they direct M.A.D. riders down another path (e.g. the FastPass line) which is held back until the normal queue is exhuasted. or is there some other method?

And is there a delay in the changeover to change the programming or is it basically instant?

So... time for a 2020 Super Thread?? At least for WDW anyway? lol (kinda joking, kinda not) I'm guessing their tickets will be on sale in a few more weeks for the 2020 MNSSHP.

So... time for a 2020 Super Thread?? At least for WDW anyway? lol (kinda joking, kinda not) I'm guessing their tickets will be on sale in a few more weeks for the 2020 MNSSHP.
I was wondering when our new superthread would be starting up. Already starting to miss the Halloween parties! We've run into various friends and acquaintances who went to their first parties this year and had so much fun! It's been really fun hearing their take on the OBB because they never attended MHP, so they have nothing to compare it to. And every single person has told us that they are ready to go back again next year -- no matter which park the party is in!

What our lovely mod says. *nod nod*

I convinced a friend she had to come with me for the first time. Cheshire Cat showing up for the first time and Tim Burton Hatter mentioned certainly gave my begging some weight. ;)

Then second party I ran into her fave, Loki. She didn't even believe me first when I hysterically texted her because that came so much out of nowhere. God knows I did sweat some blood if he'd be there "our" night too. Thankfully he was.

She could not have been any happier with her first party and has already said she's coming with me again next year.

If either of you wants to start the new superthread, go ahead as soon as you think the time right! :) (Just leave a few "blank" posts after your first one to fill in later with updates from the Parks Blog as they become available.)

I was wondering when our new superthread would be starting up. Already starting to miss the Halloween parties! We've run into various friends and acquaintances who went to their first parties this year and had so much fun! It's been really fun hearing their take on the OBB because they never attended MHP, so they have nothing to compare it to. And every single person has told us that they are ready to go back again next year -- no matter which park the party is in!
I miss them too! I am interested in the after dark events, but i would rather put the money towards a Halloween party since I know those are so well done and worth the money.

I miss them too! I am interested in the after dark events, but i would rather put the money towards a Halloween party since I know those are so well done and worth the money.
That was our thinking, too! We heard from friends who went to the After Dark events last year that the lines for photos were LONG and took up most of the event time. For that kind of money and no AP discount, we would rather do one or more Halloween Parties -- longer hours and shorter lines for M&Gs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter