Hallmark Movies ❤️ comfort & joy

Reminder:
It's a twofer weekend for Hallmark's back to summertime movies. :beach:

Saturday:
Love in the Limelight is on at 8pm ET on the Hallmark Channel.
Re-airs: Sun 8/7 at 6pm ET
and Thur 8/11 at 8pm ET
and Sun 8/7 at 12pm ET

Starring: Alexa PenaVega & her hubby Carlos PenaVega.

Description: Ever since she was a teenager, Summer (Alexa PenaVega) was obsessed with the boy band the Mendez Boyz. She was especially devoted to Nick (Carlos PenaVega). Summer sends him a letter.

Touched by the sweet letter, Nick decides this response should be more than a letter. He decides to call Summer. This starts a long-time friendship between the two.

Fast forward some years: Nick is headed to her hometown of Salt Lake City because his manager booked a gig there.

Now, this friendship has the ability to become a romance. But, Summer breaks things off. However, Summer’s Abuelita (Coll) – a hip grandma with a TikTok following – encourages her to follow her heart.

What will Summer do?

:teacher: Fun facts: The movie includes six original Spanglish songs written by Carlos PenaVega. Carlos PenaVega is a member of the band Big Time Rush which are currently on a national tour. :rockband:

Sunday:
Big Sky River is on at 9pm ET on Hallmark Movies & Mysteries.
Re-airs: Tue 8/9 at 7pm ET
and Thur 8/11 at 9pm ET
and Sun 8/14 at 5pm ET

Starring Emmanuelle Vaugier and Kavan Smith.

Description: Recently divorced New Yorker Tara Kendall (Vaugier,) takes a break from the city by taking a summer rental in Parable, Montana. It's a place she fell in love with as a young girl and it always provided her with a feeling of sanctuary. Upon arrival, Tara meets town sheriff Boone Taylor (Smith), who is also her neighbor, and before long the two find themselves relying on each other for small favors. But when Tara's stepdaughter Erin reaches out asking to stay with her, the realities of co-parenting a child after a divorce start emerging, and possibly complicate any thought of a budding romance Tara might be (reluctantly) entertaining.

Emmanuelle_Kavan_2.jpg.550x380_q85_box-0%2C18%2C640%2C462_crop.jpg

It was those real-life themes that hooked Vaugier from the get-go. "The big draw for me was how much it was grounded in things that people can relate to," she said of the script. "As much as Hallmark is very much an escape for people, I think we can also talk about things that are a little messier, and how people manage and deal with them. Like healing from those [hard] things. It was nice to see Hallmark go down that road and tackle some of those relatable real-life issues like relationships not working out, and not wanting to enter something new and repeat things. Then when kids are involved you have to consider how [it] affects them and set a good example.

"The last few years have made us reflect on our lives and really face some things we've sort of brushed over and not dealt with," she continued. "[Life] has sort of forced us into a situation of ripping off the band-aid to a lot of things. I think that this movie helps send a message of hope to people that you can heal and move on. Life can be good, and even with struggle, it can still be beautiful and something good can come out of these things."

As an accomplished equestrian, Vaugier effortlessly dealt with the horse riding required for the role. But getting comfortable opposite a brood of chickens for some of the film's lighter moments was another matter. "Well, after this movie, I feel like I've found a whole respect and bond with chickens," she laughed. "They're actually quite affectionate, and very sweet. We had a chicken wrangler who would hand me the chicken we named Henrietta, who was the star chicken for the close-ups. 🐔 She'd end up falling asleep in my arms, just dozing off. I love all animals, but I'd never experienced that with a chicken, so it was pretty cool."

Reminder:

It's a three-fer weekend
for Hallmark and Hallmark Movies & Mysteries :beach:

Saturday:
Romance in Style is on at 8pm ET on the Hallmark Channel.
Re-airs: Sun 8/14 at 6pm ET
and Thur 8/18 at 8pm ET
and Sun 8/21 at 12pm ET

Starring: Jaicy Elliot and Benjamin Hollingsworth.

Description: This is a historical first for Hallmark as this is a movie promoting self-love and body-positivity. They have a leading actress who is plus-sized and the story revolves around designing fashions for how some women really look, instead of only for stick thin women.

Jaicy Elliot will portray Ella, a confident and passionate aspiring plus-size fashion designer whose dream is to make clothing for women like herself.

While working as a freelance seamstress at a high-profile fashion magazine, she meets the "Prince of Publishing" Derek (Benjamin Hollingsworth), who is working on taking over the magazine business from his father and is desperate to learn the ins and outs of the industry as quickly as possible.

Along the way, the two end up falling for each other — but they must find a way to navigate their differences and society's expectations of what makes the perfect couple.

Sunday:

The final season (6) of Chesapeake Shores premieres at 8pm ET on the Hallmark Channel.

No repeats scheduled.

The Journey Ahead premieres at 9pm ET on Hallmark Movies & Mysteries.
Re-airs: Tues 8/16 at 7pm ET
and Thur 8/18 at 9pm ET
and Sun 8/21 at 5pm ET

Starring: Holly Robinson Peete, Kaylee Bryant and Mark Humphrey.

Description: Madeline (Peete), an aging Hollywood actress with little to no meaningful personal relationships and is dealing with some seriously bad luck. After receiving word she must travel from LA to NYC for an urgent medical appointment, she hires Sarah (Bryant) to drive her across the country. What unfolds is a story of unconditional friendship as the two women learn about each other, grow closer and lean on each other in their times of need.

Looking forward to a couple of the new movies described! I have one already in my DVR and just set another.

I have a different outlook on the blocks of old shows, though. I think they're getting viewers because people find it comforting to watch familiar TV from a time that feels simpler and less stressful to them.

My thanks always to each of you for keeping this thread going! I will check out the Journey Ahead, that sounds interesting.

Hug, PollyannaMom. I love how you put that. I admit to not understanding why Hallmark needs to endlessly cycle through the Golden Girls and Reba. If they bring even one viewer comfort and peace, which they must, I am grateful. Thank you for that reminder.

I do wish Hallmark and HM&M would also air some older movies or even TV shows if they truly must show TV shows. Still think there ought to be a Hallmark TV Channel. It could air more inspirational and also some old familiar shows such as Northern Exposure, Strong Medicine, Dr. Quinn, It's a Miracle, I'd love to see some old family Ties episodes. They could, of course still also have Reba and the Golden Girls just with some variety. Maybe even throw in a mix of older Game Shows like Price is Right with Bob Barker or I was emailing a friend yesterday remembering some older Chuck Woolery game Shows like Scrabble, Lingo, and even Love Connection. I don't think (is there)? currently a channel that airs both classic shows and older game shows? Might be new venture for Hallmark to check out. Just some early Saturday morning thoughts.

Have a blessed day🌼 everyone.

Last edited:
Reminder:

It's a three-fer weekend
for Hallmark and Hallmark Movies & Mysteries :beach:

Saturday:
Romance in Style is on at 8pm ET on the Hallmark Channel.
Re-airs: Sun 8/14 at 6pm ET
and Thur 8/18 at 8pm ET
and Sun 8/21 at 12pm ET

Starring: Jaicy Elliot and Benjamin Hollingsworth.

Description: This is a historical first for Hallmark as this is a movie promoting self-love and body-positivity. They have a leading actress who is plus-sized and the story revolves around designing fashions for how some women really look, instead of only for stick thin women.

Jaicy Elliot will portray Ella, a confident and passionate aspiring plus-size fashion designer whose dream is to make clothing for women like herself.

While working as a freelance seamstress at a high-profile fashion magazine, she meets the "Prince of Publishing" Derek (Benjamin Hollingsworth), who is working on taking over the magazine business from his father and is desperate to learn the ins and outs of the industry as quickly as possible.

Along the way, the two end up falling for each other — but they must find a way to navigate their differences and society's expectations of what makes the perfect couple.

I love the idea of this. But I think it would be nice, if they just made a movie with a couple that looks like this, without pointing out her size and just have it like any other Hallmark movie.

I love the idea of this. But I think it would be nice, if they just made a movie with a couple that looks like this, without pointing out her size and just have it like any other Hallmark movie.

I totally agree with you. Unfortunately from the articles I've been reading, the new Hallmark Chief Operating Officer (COO,) has made inclusion & diversity the #1 platform of this new Hallmark AND to cross-promote with the various Hallmark cards and other merchandise lines whenever possible. It's to draw those demographics over to watch the new Hallmark movies. So, she wants to make it known and obvious when this is included, rather than just quietly slipping it in as part or real life.

For instance, for the new Mahogany line of movies coming up in two weeks, she says, “I feel like I can create a great bridge to some of our other brands and really think about how can we open the storytelling, like we’re doing right now with Mahogany. Are there other opportunities with our other brands, like DaySpring and Crayola?”

The Mahogany line, started 34 years ago as a Hallmark greeting card line inspired by Black culture, has become successful, and has continued branching out into other areas such as plus gifts, home decor, ornaments and gift wrap. Now, Hallmark's first movie under the Mahogany brand, “Unthinkably Good Things,” will debut on the Hallmark Movies & Mysteries channel on Aug 28, hoping to nab the BET Channel and Oprah's OWN TV watchers.

https://www.bizjournals.com/bizwome...-crown-media-sabrina-wiewel-coo.html?page=all

I can't find the article, but one said Hallmark has several different card lines and they intend to cross-promote them in more Hallmark movies. If Hallmark has a plus size/body-positivity card line, we will be seeing more movies like Romance in Style, waving an obvious banner 🚩 that the female lead is plus-sized. If they don't have a line yet, I'm sure they will start one soon.

I hope this doesn't kill the quality of Hallmark movies. When George Lucas, creator of Star Wars, went to the Dark Side of over-merchandising and created characters & stories geared more toward selling merchandise, the quality of the movies really suffered in my opinion. :headache:

Last edited:

Thanks, Imzadi as always for keeping us updated. I so do not want dark Hallmark movies! No way! I also am someone who would prefer Disney parks stuck to Disney rides! Let's hope the new COO also does a better job of programming! :)

I just saw Romance in Style the other day and I enjoyed it...I felt like it was a breath of fresh air and refreshing to see especially as someone plus size and someone who also works in higher quality retail because it's often brushed under the rug even when change is trying to be pushed

Just watched Romance in Style. It was great to see a plus size female lead. I loved so many of her outfits too!

Oh good. I haven't had a chance to see it yet. Sounds like the quality was kept high instead of making it gimmicky. :thumbsup2

More changes for Hallmark:

The TV movies & entertainment side of Hallmark used to be known as Crown Media. In an effort to align with the brand of parent company Hallmark Cards and do all that cross-promotion I mentioned above, they will now be known as Hallmark Media.

Two possible bits of good news:

At a recent presentation, the Head of Programming of the new Hallmark, Lisa Hamilton Daly said, “As far as Good Witch, which I think we’re always interested in thinking about what we can do with our most popular IP. I can’t announce anything specific about that,” Daly shared. “That also holds for Signed, Sealed and Delivered. don’t think we’re finished with that.”

CEO Wonya Lucas added that Signed, Sealed and Delivered fans are consistently sending letters that everyone at the network reads. “The fandom and the passion for that franchise is unusual,” she stated. “And so we listen. We hear. I’d say, Stand by!”

However, before everyone starts celebrating, The Good Witch might only come back as a single movie every now and then - or never. Same for Signed, Sealed and Delivered.

That's because, a while back when Good Witch fans were campaigning for GAC Family to take over Good Witch after it's cancellation at Hallmark, GAC Family CEO, Bill Abbott was asked in an interview on whether GAC could acquire Good Witch. Abbott said: “It was certainly a great series and James Denton and Catherine Bell were great in it. We’d certainly like to consider that, but we’re not there yet." Abbott noted that he’s also not sure who currently owns the rights to Good Witch.

It now appears that Hallmark still owns the rights to the Good Witch IP and for Signed, Sealed and Delivered.

I think it's very possible that the new Hallmark CEO doesn't really want to produce anymore Good Witch movies. She just doesn't want to let go of the rights to either project as GAC would snap them up in a heartbeat if it could. So, we may only get a new movie once every blue moon, if at all. :(

In fact, the new CEO's got two new series with strong female leads in the works. (More on that later.) So, Season 10 of When Calls the Heart, instead of premiering in the spring as usual, is being pushed off to mid-2023, with no definite airdate set yet.

Lori Loughlin’s Garage Sale Mysteries series has been quietly added to Hallmark’s paid streaming service. :ssst: The first three Garage Sale Mysteries are now available on Hallmark Movies Now.

GAC Media is expanding and making some change too.

They are lopping off the "C" in GAC for two channels and bringing back "Great American" which was part of the original title of the channels GAC Media took over. :teleport: So now GAC Family will be known as Great American Family or simply GAF.

(I hope GAF is supposed to be spelled out. Because pronounced as a word, it sounds like "gaffe" which means "an unintentional act or remark causing embarrassment to its originator; a blunder." And I hope that doesn't bite Bill Abbott in the butt if the channel fails. :headache: )

The second channel for unscripted content will now be known as Great American Living.

GAC Media is also launching a third network: A free streaming TV channel supported by ads, NextTV reported. The channel, called Great American Adventures, will be hosted on Comcast’s Xumo streaming service.

The channel will have 500 hours of scripted and unscripted TV, including “Southern Fried Skinnyfied with Paige Duke” and “Patti LaBelle’s Place,” NextTV reported.

GAC Media will also be launching a social media app in September. It will be in all mobile app stores, and it’s called Great American Community.

It will feature “short-form lifestyle, seasonal and holiday content.” So far, more than 200 hours of original content have been commissioned for the app.

Abbott said in a press statement about the app: “Since launching GAC Family original programming last October, fans have been asking us for more opportunities to engage with our roster of talent, which we believe is the best in the business. Great American Community will serve as a stand-alone app delivering a completely new experience for consumers hungry for trusted, family-friendly content that is relevant to their lives.

It seems like there are a lot of things going on! I would frankly be happy to just get an annual Good Witch movie for Halloween.
It did seem like they had run out of ideas and were just throwing whatever up on the screen at the end.
I know that was Covid-related (no guests at the Inn), but it really felt like time to end.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered as a movie or two a year would also be nice.
I think there are always more stories to tell there, but not in a weekly series.

It seems to me like they are solidifying their talent at both Hallmark and GAC.
I expect to see less crossover going forward.

I haven't seen any of the summer movies yet, they are patiently waiting in my que.
If I had to rank, Autumn has tended to be the weakest offerings, so I tend to save some others for when I inevitably get fed up and stop watching.
Although there have been a few good ones, generally it seems like Autumn is filler until they get to Christmas.

It seems like there are a lot of things going on! I would frankly be happy to just get an annual Good Witch movie for Halloween.
It did seem like they had run out of ideas and were just throwing whatever up on the screen at the end.
I know that was Covid-related (no guests at the Inn), but it really felt like time to end.

I totally forgot that Halloween is the perfect holiday to have another Good Witch movie. So, it's likely Hallmark will save Good Witch for next year's Halloween. As you said, Autumn movies are weaker, so this gives them one weekend filled then.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered as a movie or two a year would also be nice.

Yes! ❤️

Reminder:
It's a twofer weekend again. (Not counting Chesapeake Shores as it's an ongoing series.)

Saturday:
Dating the Delaneys is on at 8pm ET on the Hallmark Channel.
Re-airs: Sun 8/21 at 6pm ET
and Sat 8/27 at 4pm ET
and Tues 8/30 at 8pm ET

Starring: Rachel Boston and Paul Campbell.

Description: Dating is bad enough when you've been at it for years, but what happens when you jump back into the dating pool after a decade or more off? You have to contend with online dating. Should I swipe left or right? Should I like their post? In Dating the Delaneys, two single parents wade into the dating pool.
Maggie Delaney (Rachel Boston) is a divorced mother who, after learning her ex-husband is getting remarried, ventures into the dating world with the encouragement of her mother and teen daughter. Helping her along the way is Michael (Paul Campbell) who offers to help by going on a “practice date.” Maggie’s dating adventures bring mixed results, and as she and Michael spend more time together, it’s clear their friendship could turn into something more.

Meanwhile, Maggie's mother and teen daughter begin romances of their own. As these three generations of women explore the highs and lows of modern dating, they learn that love and romance can be found at any age and sometimes where you least expect it.

Sunday:

Groundswell premieres at 9pm ET on Hallmark Movies & Mysteries.
Re-airs: Tues 8/23 at 7pm ET
and Thur 8/25 at 9pm ET
and Sun 8/28 at 5pm ET

Starring: Lacey Chabert and Ektor Rivera.

Description: Based on a novel by celebrity chef Katie Lee Biegel, the movie follows Emma, an Atlanta-based chef who suffers a setback at work and decides to take some time off with a vacation in Hawaii. 🌴 She meets a handsome surf instructor who helps her regain her confidence.

Also: Episode 2 of Chesapeake Shores as it's in it's final season 6. It premieres at 8pm ET on the Hallmark Channel.

No repeats scheduled.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!