Hallmark Movies ❤️ comfort & joy

I just finished watching Love's Portrait. Normally, I cringe at the idea of seeing a Hallmark movie with two unknown stars, as I often think it means low budget equating to bad acting, bad directing and bad script to turn off after 10 minutes. :crazy2: :headache:

With this movie, I thought it interesting that it was a location movie, set & filmed in Ireland. That is usually not a low budget film for Hallmark.

And I was intrigued by the mystery in the movie, so I thought I'd give it a shot right away.

I'm glad I did. Hallmark hit this one out of the ballpark. :cheer2: The male lead, Irish actor Richard McWilliams, is good looking, romantic, sexy and and can really act. He brought the looks and romantic sizzle that is often missing in so many Hallmark movies.

I get that years ago, acting in a Hallmark TV movie, (not the Hall of Fame movies,) was actually considered bad for actors. And Hallmark basically had to cast who they could get. Some of them, (in my opinion,) need to be retired as they are getting on in years, or have been phoning in their last several performances. Hallmark needs to take those salaries, and woo Richard McWilliams to film more Hallmark movies in Canada, or film more movies with him in Ireland. :teleport:

Aubrey Reynolds, the female lead, was good too. I felt they had chemistry together. She played, strong, intelligent, capable, and has a real genuine quality.

The script is good. The idea was only loosely lifted from a novel, so the book won't be anything like the movie. Hallmark put a bit of mysticism or magic in it, they way they usually do for their Christmas movies on HMM. I was reminded of how much it's taken for granted that a HMM Christmas movie would have some magic & miracles in it, yet the non-Christmas HMM movies, often don't have that element, or to this degree. So it was nice seeing it in this movie.

If you liked seeing Timeless Love from a few years ago with Rachel Skarsten & Brant Daugherty, where Rachel plays a woman who wakes up from a coma and thinking she was married, you will like this movie. The story is not the same, but that mystical element is there.

Love's Portrait re-airs on Hallmark Movies & Mysteries:
Tue 9/6 at 7pm ET
and Thurs 9/8 at 9pm ET
and Sun 9/11 at 3pm ET
That settles it, it's in my DVR and I'm watching it as the next thing I get to! Love your review, thanks so much for sharing!! :thanks:

TWO movies each weekend in September, plus Chesapeake Shores.

Saturday:

Marry Go Round is on at 8pm ET on the Hallmark Channel.
Re-airs: Sun 9/11 at 6pm ET
and Thus 9/15 at 8pm ET
and Sun 9/18 at 12pm ET

Starring: Amanda Schull & Brennan Elliott.

Description: Abby and Luke were high school sweethearts and had a short-lived marriage after high school.”

Many years later, Abby is a successful executive who is planning to move to Paris with her fiancé Edward. Everything in her life seems to be perfect. That is until she gets a letter explaining her divorce to Luke is not exactly official.

When Abby arrives back in hometown for a court hearing she runs into Luke and quickly learns he has no intention on finalizing this divorce anytime soon. Emily, (Manning) Abby’s mother finally reveals a secret she has been keeping from her daughter that explains what really happened so many years ago.

Abby now has a choice to make. Does she face the truth about what she has always felt for Luke or stick to the plan when she thought her life was so perfect?

Sunday:

Chesapeake Shores, Episode 5 premieres at 8pm ET on the Hallmark Channel.

To Her, With Love is on at 9pm ET on Hallmark Movies & Mysteries.
Re-airs: Thurs 9/15 at 9pm ET
and Sun 9/18 at 5pm ET

Starring: Skye P. Marshall & Tobias Truvillion.

Description: Hallmark Mahogany is premiering its second movie, an homage to the classic Sydney Poitier film, To Sir, With Love. This movie is called To Her, With Love.

Kayla (Marshall) has lost her substitute job at an elite, private high school, earlier than she expected. She heads back to her hometown of Stoneville, North Carolina.

On her first day back, her mother sets up a job interview at her high school alma mater where she is instantly offered a job. At first, Kayla struggles to connect with her students. Thankfully, Jordan, a jack-of-all-trades teacher devoted to supporting underserved students, steps in to help.

Kayla learns the school may be cutting the art department budgets. Now, she and Jordan work together to set up a fundraising showcase. Working closely together, Kayla and Jordan discover they share a passion for teaching, service, and Sidney Poitier movies.

When Kayla is offered an incredible teaching position elsewhere, she has to determine what she needs in her life to be truly happy.

Well I just watched Marry Go Round and did not like that at all. I am sure it was well intentioned and it ended how I expected but oh it was disappointing.
It's in my DVR, I may wait awhile to check it out. I am not in the mood to be disappointed today ;)

I'm sorry to hear Merry Go Round was a bust. I didn't record it because it seemed iffy. Sounds like I made a good choice. I do have Marry Me in Yosemite set to record next week. How was it for those of you who have now seen it? :)

Well I just watched Marry Go Round and did not like that at all. I am sure it was well intentioned and it ended how I expected but oh it was disappointing.

I agree. This movie's story was a direct rip off of an earlier Hallmark movie that I really like, called Autumn Dreams, with Jill Wagner & Colin Egglesfield (who I wish Hallmark would get to make more movies.) In that movie, same as this, the leads were young, got married, and the female's father made them get annulled - or so they thought.

Autumn Dreams worked because in that movie, both characters moved on, were ready to get married to other people and it was the judge who forced them to wait for several days to finalize the divorce. That key difference made the judge the "villain."

In Marry Go Round, Brennan Elliott's character was the one who wouldn't sign the divorce papers. That was the first mistake of this movie.

The second was in casting him in this. Brennan Elliott has a tough edge about him. When he wouldn't sign the papers, he came across, not as hurt or confused, (although he did play that,) he came across as pushy and controlling. He came across kind of manipulative. I HATE pushy and manipulative men. That kind of overrode most of the movie. I GET that it was supposed to be that he's hurt, and he never wanted to get divorced in the first place and there was an under-story to that, and that's why he didn't sign the papers.

In my opinion, it didn't work with him. I think if Andrew Walker had been cast instead, who is softer, shows vulnerability better, and shows the internal struggle to fight for girl he loves against all odds, or the stuggle to give her up if that would make her happier, the movie may have had a chance to work. Although, I don't really think so. The movie also made me feel like the two leads were simply nostalgic about their past and dredging up old feelings & memories. I didn't see that nostolgia pushing them toward growing anything new and stronger and how they could fit in a future together, (the way Autumn Dreams did.)

Also, Brennan Elliott is pushing 50 and looks it. He was great in an old movie with Lacey Chabert, where they both inherited a house together. Lacey is a strong, strong actress and can hold her own. She makes you root for the couple and overlook when the guy isn't giving out much. Elliott is also good in her mystery series, where he can lean into playing strong, tough and intelligent. It also works when he's a widower with a couple kids, who's lived a bit and is ready for love again, even though he doesn't realize it until he meets the female lead.

It this movie, pushing 50, holding onto a love wound for 30 years, being a victim, yech! :scared: Then him playing tough, "I'm giving you what you want. GO! Go to Paris!" just didn't work. The female lead was left struggling with all the emotions for the both of them.

Last edited:
I agree. This movie's story was a direct rip off of an earlier Hallmark movie that I really like, called Autumn Dreams, with Jill Wagner & Colin Egglesfield (who I wish Hallmark would get to make more movies.) In that movie, same as this, the leads were young, got married, and the female's father made them get annulled - or so they thought.

Autumn Dreams worked because in that movie, both characters moved on, were ready to get married to other people and it was the judge who forced them to wait for several days to finalize the divorce. That key difference made the judge the "villain."

In Marry Go Round, Brennan Elliott's character was the one who wouldn't sign the divorce papers. That was the first mistake of this movie.

The second was in casting him in this. Brennan Elliott has a tough edge about him. When he wouldn't sign the papers, he came across, not as hurt or confused, (although he did play that,) he came across as pushy and controlling. He came across kind of manipulative. I HATE pushy and manipulative men. That kind of overrode most of the movie. I GET that it was supposed to be that he's hurt, and he never wanted to get divorced in the first place and there was an under-story to that, and that's why he didn't sign the papers.

In my opinion, it didn't work with him. I think if Andrew Walker had been cast instead, who is softer, shows vulnerability better, and shows the internal struggle to fight for girl he loves against all odds, or the stuggle to give her up if that would make her happier, the movie may have had a chance to work. Although, I don't really think so. The movie also made me feel like the two leads were simply nostalgic about their past and dredging up old feelings & memories. I didn't see that nostolgia pushing them toward growing anything new and stronger and how they could fit in a future together, (the way Autumn Dreams did.)

Also, Brennan Elliott is pushing 50 and looks it. He was great in an old movie with Lacey Chabert, where they both inherited a house together. Lacey is a strong, strong actress and can hold her own. She makes you root for the couple and overlook when the guy isn't giving out much. Elliott is also good in her mystery series, where he can lean into playing strong, tough and intelligent. It also works when he's a widower with a couple kids, who's lived a bit and is ready for love again, even though he doesn't realize it until he meets the female lead.

It this movie, pushing 50, holding onto a love wound for 30 years, being a victim, yech! :scared: Then him playing tough, "I'm giving you what you want. GO! Go to Paris!" just didn't work. The female lead was left struggling with all the emotions for the both of them.
Yes, all of this. And I genuinely liked the fiance and they seemed to be happy together. I just didn't buy it. I wouldn't leave someone I was planning to marry and who was so nice and sweet for some high school Beau. But perhaps I am jaded lol.

Speaking of Lacey Chabert, I watched her latest movie, Groundswell. I liked it. It was standard Lacey fare. She plays yet another chef, breaks up with her nasty boyfriend and goes off in search of herself.

The shots of Hawaii are great. It was fun seeing one of the contestants from Top Chef, Lee Anne Wong, on as a judge.

The male lead was good.

The one peeve I have is that for their "misunderstanding" he leaves her high and dry in her moment of need. :badpc: Sure, I get that it's about her being able to face her challenge & fear on her own. And in Hallmark fantasy land, they will live happily ever after, after that ONE bump. But, in real life, a guy who runs off, nursing his own wound, instead of sticking by his woman when she needs him, is a character flaw. He's the same type of man, that when she is lying in the hospital, she has to face the doctor alone, telling her that she has cancer, while the guy has run off, licking his own hurt over the situation. :sad2: We don't need to see Hallmark affirm guys like this and that things will work out in the end.

Lacey's executive producer, I thought, to be able to ask for re-writes such as these moments. They could have easily had them have the misunderstanding after he was there supporting her through her tough moment.

But, overall, I liked the movie.

I just saw a promo on Hallmark of an upcoming Hallmark movie where Jonathan Bennett and Brooke D'Orsay's characters have been engaged for 10 years and finally separate, only their families have entered them into some wedding contest.

If ever there was a time for the male lead to admit they've been engaged for 10 years, but never made it to the altar, because all that time, he's been unknowingly gay, THIS would be the premise for it. :rolleyes1 :rotfl:

I don't think Hallmark goes there. That's more of a Netflix movie. And there's no secondary male lead that I see listed, like Sam Page, who would be great for the female lead to end up with as he consoles her, and they end up falling in love, so all ends well.

Good Morning, everyone. Hope all of you enjoyed a good night rest and have a good Monday as well. Last week, I came across the beginning of a movie that I think was set in Alaska. The only scene I saw featured a rescue dog finding a man in the snow. The man was perfectly fine. He was helping the female trainer to practice her dog's search and rescue skills. After the dog immediately found him, he invited the lady to have coffee with him. LOL. I know from that description this doesn't sound too promising. I agree. I think I was interested in seeing more of the movie because of the rescue dog premise. Does this ring a bell with any of you? I honestly am not sure what channel it was on, possibly GAC. I had only recently realized we have GAC. Thanks, everyone and enjoy some good movies this week. I'm still waiting for Sharing Christmas to re-air. Of course, looking so forward in general to Christmas movies starting.

Good Morning, everyone. Hope all of you enjoyed a good night rest and have a good Monday as well. Last week, I came across the beginning of a movie that I think was set in Alaska. The only scene I saw featured a rescue dog finding a man in the snow. The man was perfectly fine. He was helping the female trainer to practice her dog's search and rescue skills. After the dog immediately found him, he invited the lady to have coffee with him. LOL. I know from that description this doesn't sound too promising. I agree. I think I was interested in seeing more of the movie because of the rescue dog premise. Does this ring a bell with any of you? I honestly am not sure what channel it was on, possibly GAC. I had only recently realized we have GAC. Thanks, everyone and enjoy some good movies this week. I'm still waiting for Sharing Christmas to re-air. Of course, looking so forward in general to Christmas movies starting.

I think that may be an upcoming movie. :scratchin You may have seen the preview for it. Hallmark is now sneaking in previews for upcoming movies, during the commercial segments in the middle of movies.

Deleting that from the DVR...Thanks Everyone for the reviews!

I just saw a promo on Hallmark of an upcoming Hallmark movie where Jonathan Bennett and Brooke D'Orsay's characters have been engaged for 10 years and finally separate, only their families have entered them into some wedding contest.

If ever there was a time for the male lead to admit they've been engaged for 10 years, but never made it to the altar, because all that time, he's been unknowingly gay, THIS would be the premise for it. :rolleyes1 :rotfl:

I don't think Hallmark goes there. That's more of a Netflix movie. And there's no secondary male lead that I see listed, like Sam Page, who would be great for the female lead to end up with as he consoles her, and they end up falling in love, so all ends well.
Umm, just no. Engaged for 10 years just bends reality a bit much for me. I like both leads, but think this one could be hard to watch. And yes, you have written a better movie than what we will be shown! :cutie:

Sheryl Lee Ralph, who sang at the end of Christmas at Holly Lodge, won an Emmy tonight for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series for Abbott Elementary.

This is the 74th year of Primetime Emmy Awards. Essence.com posted this amazing fact, as there have been so many great black actresses.

"This monumental achievement marks the second time a Black woman has won the Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series."​

Jackée Harry won the first one 35 years ago for her performance in the series 227.

So, when Sheryl had said in an interview recently that she would really be surprised if she won, she really meant it, considering the odds.

Before she won, all the Emmy nominees has to submit ahead of time a list of the various people they'd like to thank or a quote, and it was posted at the bottom of the screen during their acceptance speeches. That shortened up all the speeches and made sure that no one was forgotten while they were so nervous.

Well, that also freed up Sheryl to do this during her acceptance speech:

I am incredibly happy for Sheryl :woohoo: However, I'm also a little sad for us, as she probably will be too busy doing other projects to do Hallmark movies anymore.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter