Gym to workout?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mfortis

Earned My Ears
I am visiting WDW in a few weeks and wanted to keep in shape. Well, actually I am following a training plan and wanted to keep to the plan.
We are staying at one of the Pop resorts and noticed it does not have a gym. I looked around and saw that only deluxe resorts have gyms. Can disney hotel guest 'gym hop'? Or is it limited to people staying at the hotel?

I am visiting WDW in a few weeks and wanted to keep in shape. Well, actually I am following a training plan and wanted to keep to the plan.
We are staying at one of the Pop resorts and noticed it does not have a gym. I looked around and saw that only deluxe resorts have gyms. Can disney hotel guest 'gym hop'? Or is it limited to people staying at the hotel?

You won't be able to use any of the gyms at the other resorts.

I was afraid of that. I did some more searching on the boards and that seems to be the consensus.
I was hoping being a DVC member would help, but no luck.
I need to find a gym locally.

Are you running or doing something else? Lot of the resorts have trails is why I’m asking.

Coronado Springs also has a fitness center. That would be the cheapest resort on property that has one.

Honestly, you walk so much in the parks every day, you may find it to not be an issue, it seems that on average people walk 3-5 miles a day in the parks.

Your best option would be to run and then maybe do non-weight activities using just your body weight such as pushups or pull ups on the playgrounds. Stuff like that.
I agree. Also, maybe try to incorporate resistance bands? They are reasonably priced and tiny in your luggage. You can find some workouts on Youtube that incorporate resistance bands.

I agree. Also, maybe try to incorporate resistance bands? They are reasonably priced and tiny in your luggage. You can find some workouts on Youtube that incorporate resistance bands.

Running is the last resort (no pun intended). I follow a program from https://athleanx.com and the week I am at Disney is the last week of one of the 12 week programs. The program does have a few workouts (black widow) that use bands, as well as, a few body-weight work outs and I may have to do those just to stay in shape. I did buy the Disney meal plan and I plan on getting all that I can out of it. lol
I found a Anytime fitness nearby, I need to call and see if they have a weekly pass.

I actually think you can still buy day passes or length-of-stay passes for other hotel's gyms if you're staying in one without a gym.

I'd give these resorts a call (I'm sure the first one you call can let you know for the remaining options). Good luck!

• Boardwalk – Muscles & Bustles Health Club
  • Animal Kingdom Lodge – Zahanati Fitness Center
  • Coronado Springs Resort – La Vida Fitness Center
  • Contemporary Resort – Olympiad Fitness Center
  • Grand Floridian – Grand Floridian Spa & Health Club
  • Old Key West – R.E.S.T. Exercise Room
  • Saratoga Springs – Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa Fitness Center
  • Wilderness Lodge – Sturdy Branches Health Club
  • Yacht and Beach Club – Ship Shape Health Club

Calling any of those resorts will connect you to a single call center. Better to find phone numbers for a couple of the actual fitness centers might work better.

Honestly, you walk so much in the parks every day, you may find it to not be an issue, it seems that on average people walk 3-5 miles a day in the parks.

I usually do 13-15 miles per day in the parks and still isn't close to being enough exercise. I try to carve out 60 minutes each morning for the Elliptical and Weights in WDW. I feel OP's pain trying to find somewhere to stick with their program.

OP - What about finding a local planet fitness. Buy a 25$ visa gift card and use that to sign up... You wouldn't need to worry about re-occurring payments or cancelling it.

My son had the same problem when we stayed at Pop. He had to go to an off site gym. I think an anytime fitness.

What type of equipment do you need for your program? That is the first question to address. If it is dumbbells, pull up bar, kettlebell I would look towards Anytime fitness. I toyed with getting some dumbbells that you can fill with water and packing a doorway pull up bar and thought better of it. If you just need a cardio machine and isolation machines Planet Fitness would probably work.

While I don't like missing a workout my coach made it clear that I should be able to take a week away and not go crazy because I am not training. I went on my trip, ate reasonably clean, and got back after without losing much ground.

We were at pop in December. My son plays basketball and wanted to practice. I called Old Key West and they had no problem with us using the court. It was empty both times we used it. Can't hurt to call and ask.

The gym(s) at the deluxe are not really designed for weight training. The GF, the Poly, The Cont. all have "gyms" but they are designed for more cardio/executive health type work outs. You will find nothing there to work with if you are on a lifting program.

And, while the Cont. seems to have a better gym than the GF, and while GF arranged for DS to use the Cont. gym, it was such a P in the A to do so, with securing a manager to make the call, to another manager, who would then have to meet him there, etc., he never went over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter