Guardians to replace UoE and Ratatouille coming to Epcot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a note about coasters in general and the need for a tall structure.

Coasters in general need a tall structure (the initial lift hill) because once over the top the momentum needs to carry the vehicle through the whole ride. Some coasters have more than one lift hills to extend the length of the ride.

However, with "launch" technology the need to tall "lift hills" is greatly reduced. In fact, with launch technology you wouldn't actually need a lift hill at all other than to gain enough elevation to allow the drops and loops. There could be launch systems at the start and also along the route.

They are by the UoE building. You could see the entrance to them where they used to run the Express Bus Service. A Disney CM even pointed it out to me.
I only knew about the epcot utilidors because of Wikipedia. I was skeptical that they were real but went to google to verify and then I was surprised to find out that I never knew about them. Granted it’s not a major utilidor, but for how much the magic kingdom one is “exploited” in fascination and attention I was surprised to see it existed! When I typed that last night I had to google it again afterwards since it had been a while and I wanted to be clear of the tunnels location

Just a note about coasters in general and the need for a tall structure.

Coasters in general need a tall structure (the initial lift hill) because once over the top the momentum needs to carry the vehicle through the whole ride. Some coasters have more than one lift hills to extend the length of the ride.

However, with "launch" technology the need to tall "lift hills" is greatly reduced. In fact, with launch technology you wouldn't actually need a lift hill at all other than to gain enough elevation to allow the drops and loops. There could be launch systems at the start and also along the route.

definitely - you can do coasters that never get really that high.

The Big Grizzly Mountain Runaway Mine Cars attraction at Hong Kong Disneyland, for example, never gets that high - the actual mountain is only 88 feet tall. But it has 2 lift hills (after one of which you go backwards down it so you don't even have that "crest point") and then a launch, so it is still 3,600 ft long and has a duration over 3 minutes

Just to add to what Phil said above, one only need to look at DCA and the California Screamin' attraction for a horizontal launch system.

One of my favorite coasters ever is Maverick at Cedar Point and it is far from the tallest one at that park at about 105' feet.

I'll be honest I'm getting worried this is going to be just another Rockin Rollercoaster...

Just to add to what Phil said above, one only need to look at DCA and the California Screamin' attraction for a horizontal launch system.

Which is actually one of my favorite coasters!

also, the Slink Dog coaster will feature 2 launches

I'll be honest I'm getting worried this is going to be just another Rockin Rollercoaster...

That wouldn't exactly qualify as an "all-new ride system" would it? I don't think you have to worry about it being identical. I do think you are looking at something more along the thrills of RnRC and an indoor coaster. So I suspect some things will be similar.

One of my favorite coasters ever is Maverick at Cedar Point and it is far from the tallest one at that park at about 105' feet.

I am hoping after the let down people have felt with the over-promising of Rivers of Light they have learned their lesson and when they put out there that it will be a brand new type of ride system, etc. that they will deliver on that and this won't feel like "just another coaster"

I don't mind the principle of it being a launch is the same but I want more to see and interactive stuff as I'm going round.

I still dont think RnR is going to stay in the long run anyway

Let me be clear, RnR is not a bad ride, it's great and I enjoy it. But the story there is very music focused which allows for a rollercoaster in the dark to be a fitting choice. Guardians has a music element but with the story and characters a RnR type ride just wouldn't cut it; they need something more.

Let me be clear, RnR is not a bad ride, it's great and I enjoy it. But the story there is very music focused which allows for a rollercoaster in the dark to be a fitting choice. Guardians has a music element but with the story and characters a RnR type ride just wouldn't cut it; they need something more.
I think that's a good analysis. RnRC is sparse on the visuals and does focus on the audio, though I do like the visuals they did incorporate. On the other hand, do we consider SM (at WDW) highly themed? There are some lights throughout and the start and end tube have a theme, but most of it is just a ride in the dark. Rollercoasters tend to move fast, so you don't get to see much detail on anything. That's even more true of an indoor coaster. Slinky Dog looks to have a decent amount of detailed visual theming, but that's because it is visible throughout the land. The parts of EE that are open to AK have a lot of theming, but the inside section isn't substantially different than what you see on Matterhorn with maybe less detail. The exception being "No-longer Disco" Yeti of course.

I think there will be theming in this ride. But I wouldn't expect dark ride levels of it. Kind of a waste if you shoot past at 35+ mph. But maybe there will be slower sections with good theming that sets the story in motion of why you are shooting through the sparser sections. And of course I expect a well themed and, in spots, interactive queue.

I would think, the queue will be a highly themed attraction in of itself. The ride just becomes the final scene. It covers a lot of space. Given the weather limitations, being inside is another design criteria that is important for Disney. Seeing test track closed in the rain is a bit of a bummer, so I think the goal is to have something that can gobble up people, in air conditioned/dry comfort.
What I wonder is if they signifies where Epcot is trending towards. You'd have this coaster, mission space, test track, soarin'.
I've always thought that future world could be a great place for tweens as Mom and Dad stroll through the world showcase, enjoying the sites, food and beverages. As a parent you'd have a solid 3+ hours of knowing your child is occupied, between the lines and the attractions.

I only knew about the epcot utilidors because of Wikipedia. I was skeptical that they were real but went to google to verify and then I was surprised to find out that I never knew about them. Granted it’s not a major utilidor, but for how much the magic kingdom one is “exploited” in fascination and attention I was surprised to see it existed! When I typed that last night I had to google it again afterwards since it had been a while and I wanted to be clear of the tunnels location
image.jpg

If you listen to the interview with the VP of Epcot she states it will be a roller coaster using new technology. This brings us back to the patent Disney published over a year ago for a new and improved flying coaster. I wonder if the Vekoma Ride Manufacturers new technology would be used here

I heard this rumor. The new ride system Vekoma is developing looks like it will allow for a dark ride portion.

I think that's a good analysis. RnRC is sparse on the visuals and does focus on the audio, though I do like the visuals they did incorporate. On the other hand, do we consider SM (at WDW) highly themed? There are some lights throughout and the start and end tube have a theme, but most of it is just a ride in the dark. Rollercoasters tend to move fast, so you don't get to see much detail on anything. That's even more true of an indoor coaster. Slinky Dog looks to have a decent amount of detailed visual theming, but that's because it is visible throughout the land. The parts of EE that are open to AK have a lot of theming, but the inside section isn't substantially different than what you see on Matterhorn with maybe less detail. The exception being "No-longer Disco" Yeti of course.

I think there will be theming in this ride. But I wouldn't expect dark ride levels of it. Kind of a waste if you shoot past at 35+ mph. But maybe there will be slower sections with good theming that sets the story in motion of why you are shooting through the sparser sections. And of course I expect a well themed and, in spots, interactive queue.

I do wonder if there will be something in the middle of the ride two where you go slow (e.g., 7DMT) or even stop before another launch (e.g., EE or Grizzly Mountain Runaway Mine Cars) where there are show scenes as well

I do wonder if there will be something in the middle of the ride two where you go slow (e.g., 7DMT) or even stop before another launch (e.g., EE or Grizzly Mountain Runaway Mine Cars) where there are show scenes as well

I'll be interested to see what they do with it. I'm still not thrilled that GotG is the theme for this ride, but what is done is done and I hope what is done is done well!

Wasn’t a fan of guardians in Epcot but my displeasure will be silenced if it’s a solid coaster/innovative ride as it sounds it will

I'll be interested to see what they do with it. I'm still not thrilled that GotG is the theme for this ride, but what is done is done and I hope what is done is done well!

I think we just have to accept that the focus of EPCOT is moving on and it is what it is - and it can still be an amazing park and something "different" - just that the "different" will be different than it was

I hope it doesn't totally lose the edutainment/discovery nature though - you can have that and a GotG coaster at the same time

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!