Guardians - Cosmic Rewind

Oh, my goodness. I am so sorry! I heard conflicting reports, too, and I think this explains it: there are really two kinds of motion sickness, i.e. (1) people who feel sick from dropping (like at Tower of Terror), and (2) people who feel sick from spinning (like the Teacups). Guardians is definitely the latter. It's like if the Teacups and Space Mountain had a baby. It must be that the folks who keep writing that they aren't having any motion sickness trouble are from category #1. I hope you feel better soon!
Thanks for the analogy, but that makes me scared to try it. Teacups and the ride at Universal (that is next to Hulk and is basically the same thing as Teacups) are the only rides in Orlando that I won't risk these days.

Thanks for the warning!
I also can't do spinning rides, and the worst are the spinning rides that incorporate screens (I'm looking at you harry potter).
I take a loading dose of meclizine (bonine) the day prior to trip, then daily dose (in AM) when traveling. That helps when cruising too!
I wasn’t sure I was going to make it off that Harry Potter ride!

I was at the exit for a while, with some mobility issues unrelated to GOTG. I didn't see anyone at all who looked the least bit distressed leaving that ride.

I can see how it isn't for everyone, but no one can guess how you in particular will react, including you I guess. Sorry it didn't work out for you.

I was at the exit for a while, with some mobility issues unrelated to GOTG. I didn't see anyone at all who looked the least bit distressed leaving that ride.

I can see how it isn't for everyone, but no one can guess how you in particular will react, including you I guess. Sorry it didn't work out for you.
Some people got sick on it when it opened. So of course Twitter and YouTube jumped all over it and exaggerated it, making it seem like 90% of the riders were barfing and it was a huge disaster.

No doubt a small percentage of people get sick on it every day. But you’re right there’s no predicting for an individual

I am pretty prone to motion so I made sure I had Bonine prior. I had been taking Bonine in the few days leading up to it anyway because I was coming off a cruise ship. I rode it twice. The first time I rode it, I looked in the direction of the track - the direction that we were traveling, instead of at the action around me. I loved it, it was great and I had no problems. I loved the ride and thought it was great. I couldn't wait to do it again.

The second time I rode it I decided to look in the direction the car was facing, at all the other stuff going on and story and whatnot. HUGE MISTAKE. I was so sick and disoriented. I couldn't wait to get off. It was awful. Like, a completely different experience. Both times I was in the same section of the train (about in the middle).

I think this one little tip makes all the difference. I look forward to riding it again, but I absolutely will not look at what they want me to look at. I will look where we are traveling.

Wow, I hope I can handle it next month! For reference, I hate ToT (but was okay on GOTG Mission Breakout on California Adventure back in June). I can do Everest once without issue, but am very wobbly when I get off. I can do Space, BTMR, IncrediCoaster, and RNRC. Not a fan of the big drop on Splash, but tolerate it if with friends who really want to ride it. Love FOP at AK. Teacups and Mission: Space Orange are no problem. And I rode Crush's Coaster in DL Paris with no problems. So, I'm going to give it a try in September and see.

What gives nation sickness is so subjective.
I can do Harry Potter's forbidden journey twice, but the third time in a Roma I start to feel bad. I have no problem doing ToT multiple times in a row, but Primeval whirl is a no go.
Crush and Coaster at DLP is a lot of fun, but rode that only twice in my life because it's terrible.
So probably GotG will be one and done for me.

I am one who has to try everything at least once. Mission space orange,,,had the bag out 30secs into ride,,never used it,,but the dry heaves were there. FOP tried it loved it,,wont do again,,sweats right after,,wobbling,,loved it though. Space Mountain Cali have the pick that looks like im going to puke on my daughter who is having a great time. SM WDW,,no issue. Our bodies are crazy,,,,know your limits.

I have motion sickness and find that closing my eyes during certain parts helps me get through some rides I want to ride.

I hope everyone believes the rumor and reduces the ride times.....ummmm I heard from my best friend's cousin's sister's uncle's aunt's ex-husband that Tron will cause spontaneous combustion of your entire family....DO NOT RIDE TRON...I mean keep the lines short on Tron

I rode guardians twice about 8 hours apart and had two very different experiences. Both times I sat in the front, which, as I understand it, is supposed to help alleviate some of the motion sickness.

The biggest differentiator for me came from a friend who has ridden the ride countless times, and he gave this piece of advice to my 10-year-old son on our second ride: “ignore the story and just enjoy the ride”; my son had complained that the story was weak sauce, and didn’t tie in very well with the pre-show (which was so great).

On its surface, it’s a “just go with it” recommendation, but while I did feel a little motion effect the first time through while trying to follow the story and dialogue, on the second ride, I ignored most of the “story” on the ride screens and just really enjoyed the ride track movements. Whatever way the car rotated, I tried to turn my head in the direction the vehicle was moving so as to anticipate the next place my body was going.

Except for screen-heavy rides, I personally avoid closing my eyes at all cost on any ride. If my body experiences motion my mind is not prepared for, that’s when all hell breaks loose. Screen rides can be tough because my eyes expect one thing and my body experiences another.

Anyway, thems my tips. My second ride was sooo much more enjoyable… then again, we did get “September” as our soundtrack the second time which may or may not be the best song ever for the ride (it is).

Except for screen-heavy rides, I personally avoid closing my eyes at all cost on any ride. If my body experiences motion my mind is not prepared for, that’s when all hell breaks loose. Screen rides can be tough because my eyes expect one thing and my body experiences another.
I agree with this. That's why rides in the dark, like Space mountains, are generally worst for me that something like BTMRR or Slinky.

I get motion sick on certain rides for sure but cosmic rewind didn't bother me one bit. everyone's physiology is different. it's an excellent ride so I do encourage everyone to try it once just to see. Hydration is key, too. it's hot out in the summer, for sure, so don't ride dehydrated. if you feel dizzy at the end, just take your time and use the elevators to exit.

I've been on 5x so far (rows 1, 2, 3, 5, and 10) and honestly didn't notice much of any difference wherever I sat.

Sorry to hear about your experience. We all seem to experience the ride differently..

I love spinning and have looped the Teacups a few times. 🤣 Guardians leaves me dizzy and disoriented for a few minutes. I have to rest a bit before making my way out. I will ride it again (I love the music and motion!), but continue taking my time at the end before walking out too far!

I appreciate your post! I am in your boat and have had horrible reactions to most of the thrill rides at WDW, but, I often fall for the “it’s not so bad” and try new ones.. I won’t fall for it this time. I will go for the preshow and then go out the chicken exit.

I appreciate your post! I am in your boat and have had horrible reactions to most of the thrill rides at WDW, but, I often fall for the “it’s not so bad” and try new ones.. I won’t fall for it this time. I will go for the preshow and then go out the chicken exit.
Same! After I exit, I just wait at the top of the stairs and enjoy the 80's music I grew up on!

I get motion sickness, so I took meclizine for Guardians. I was really dizzy when I got off but not nauseous. Not sure I will ever go on it again. The pre-show is the best part of the ride - if I am with people who are riding I might bail after that!
For comparisons sake - I can handle most coasters without issue, but spinning is a no go.
I did close my eyes several times during the ride to try and stop the dizziness, and just felt relieved when it was over.

I get motion sickness pretty easily. I took Dramamine the night before going on Guardians and I felt fine. I was quite surprised since I read Guardians isn't the ride for individuals who are prone to motion sickness. I kept my eyes open throughout the entire ride since I know I don't do well on dark rides.

Everest and Space Mountain are no-gos. I felt very sick after SM earlier this year, and I remember riding it without issues when I was in my 20's! I will never do Mission Space Orange or the tea cups. Even MS green makes me a bit queasy.

Taking meclizine the night before the event really works for me. I actually learned this from scuba diving. That makes me nauseous, too!

I get motion sick on certain rides for sure but cosmic rewind didn't bother me one bit. everyone's physiology is different. it's an excellent ride so I do encourage everyone to try it once just to see. Hydration is key, too. it's hot out in the summer, for sure, so don't ride dehydrated. if you feel dizzy at the end, just take your time and use the elevators to exit.

I've been on 5x so far (rows 1, 2, 3, 5, and 10) and honestly didn't notice much of any difference wherever I sat.
Same with me. We rode 5 times during our trip and I didn't have a single issue. I tried to focus on the track not the scenes. It's an amazing ride and by far the best at disney.

I think people just need to try it once and see how you react. If you have motion sickness, take a pill before (my preference is Bonine). I also went on about an 90 mins after having lunch.

The only ride that has ever been a one and done for me is Mission Space Orange. Everest, I can go 2-3 times in a row - but then I'm pushing it, there is one part that always like clockwork I feel in my stomach. Teacups ... I just don't do it. Last time I did - I tried to make it not spin 🤣

GOTG I was fine - we were in Row 9 - which becomes Row 1. I was only able to go on once due to AP Preview. Going again in September, so I'll know for sure if I'm really OK after going on it more.
We have similar experiences! I took a Dramamine a few hours before and also was in Row 9/Row 1. It was fine for me. The air blowing on me throughout the ride made a huge difference, as well, I think.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter