Grrr @ DCL breaking news

What part of "kids clubs" did you not understand ?
Kids spend 4-10 hours a day in these clubs. I'm just saying kids would be safer around female-only CMs.
no need be hysterical about all the other scenarios you created in your. mind.

Oh, I understand "kids club" very well, thabk you, probably more than you as I worked there for almost 5 years!

I'm not hysterical and haven't created any scenarios in my mind, I'm just drawing on yours. I mean, a female only team?! Really? Have you never come across stories where females have abused kids too?
Some of the best youth staff I've worked with are Male. They guys get more positive named comments than the girls and there's often only 4 or 5 out of a team of 30+.
But seriously, you don't want background checked, experienced and trained males in there, but you dont mind half the unchecked males guests having access when they go in to pick up or check on the kids. This incident happened in a matter of seconds, theres nothing to say that couldn't be a guests in there doing it too, standing next to your kid while they wait for theirs to finished their colouring or game on the iPad...

In reality, with what you're saying, kids arent safe anywhere. But at the end of the day, if people are really worked up over it they dont have to leave leave the kids in the club, it's not a rule, open houses are available everyday.

They stated that there have only been 2 incidents where I pointed out there have been more.

It doesn't specify that those are assaults on children, just on passengers. The only other assault against a child I can find was the well publicized 2012 elevator incident. My intuition says that given the high profile nature of Disney and it's connection with kids, if the other five were against children, we'd have been more likely to have heard about it than if it's a staff member assaulting an adult. It's just too lurid for the news not to report.

Six incidents split among 3.6 million passenger trips is what chance of it happening to an individual passenger on an individual cruise. If we assume the average cruise is 4 days, we end up with this being about the same chance you'll die in a car crash if you don't go on the cruise. So yeah, this is not a good thing, but the idea that we should be panicking and freaking out that the kids clubs are a particularly dangerous place is just not warranted.

As to banning guys, isn't it important to have some kind of male role model of someone male who's a nurturing presence to kids? And where does it end? Minnie can go in the club, but not Mickey? No more Thor, he's worthy, but not worthy enough to go in the club? Do we empty out the clubs if someone needs to do maintenance and it's a guy?

And put kids on public video? Think about every time your kid has done something completely innocent but mortifyingly inappropriate. No, we don't need to broadcast video of that thanks.

Last edited:
It doesn't specify that those are assaults on children, just on passengers. The only other assault against a child I can find was the well publicized 2012 elevator incident. My intuition says that given the high profile nature of Disney and it's connection with kids, if the other five were against children, we'd have been more likely to have heard about it than if it's a staff member assaulting an adult. It's just too lurid for the news not to report.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/disney-cruise-line-worker-accused-of-molesting-teen-passenger/
Anyways, I'm out. I am not trying to shame anyone or tell people how to raise their children. I certainly hope that's not how I came across. How people parent has nothing to do with me. I just was trying to make the point that we all need to be on our toes and aware of what is going on around us. Just because we don't necessarily hear about these things does not mean they don't go on, they do.
Yes my children walked to school alone but we are a community. Somebody knows somebody. Things could happen but we can't protect from everything. On a ship I know no one, it's 6000 strangers. Of course most are good people but they are still strangers so I don't want to give up as much control as I would at home. It's just different. Yes I would allow my children to go to the children's clubs if they wanted to. I would just make sure to discuss how their day went.
I'm going to unfollow this post, I've made my thoughts clear but they are just my thoughts and not everyone's. We can all agree to disagree and not have to beat it to death.
I hope this never happens again, but it will. I'll just continue to do the best I can for me. Others will have to do what's best for them.
Happy cruising all.

I completely agree and understand that this is horrifying and should never have happened. I do however really hope that people realise that the majority of us genuinely love our jobs and we want to spend time with your kids and make their vacation magical. It would be a terrible shame and a major blow for us to not be able to do that. It would also negatively affect the way we do our jobs if we were to be scrutinised by parents at every turn, or have to closely monitor each other.

I completely agree and understand that this is horrifying and should never have happened. I do however really hope that people realise that the majority of us genuinely love our jobs and we want to spend time with your kids and make their vacation magical. It would be a terrible shame and a major blow for us to not be able to do that. It would also negatively affect the way we do our jobs if we were to be scrutinised by parents at every turn, or have to closely monitor each other.

And know how much we appreciate the job you all do. If there were no club for my dd to go to, we wouldn't cruise. I love my dd to death, but sometimes I need some quiet time!:-)

Yes you can be viewed and recorded in public, but if its CCTV it's not going anywhere, if its someone physically doing it you have the opportunity to ask them stop or remove yourself from the situation.

My sister was adopted at 3. Her bio family were/are a threat to her so we were really aware of the situations you mentioned and would just have to remove ourselves from certain things (sucks but my sister's safety was more important) shes 19 now and doesn't have Facebook or anything like that because shes scared her bio family will track her down.

But if parents dropped their kids off at the same time as your kid, and you were watching, and maybe screen shot it and post it online, sure you dont mean anything by it, but it could damage other families. If this was available my parents just wouldn't have been able to let my sister go to the clubs.
And yes, your going to say you wouldn't do that, but could you say the same for the thousands of adults that would have access to it for the week?
My sister has great friends and has been a great school and they dont put anything of her online without asking her first, but they know her and her story.

Just like you dont know the background of every adult onboard, you dont know the background of every child onboard.

I’m very sorry that your sister has to live in fear. It must be terrible for her and your family. However, the issue of recording in a kids club and it being posted online are probably far less than the number of random photos people take with others in the background that they instagram or post on Facebook. If you’re in Disney or on a cruise, you’re probably in countless photos that others have taken and posted. There would be no getting away from that so the kids club is a drop in the bucket in comparison.

Reading this story makes me feel bad for the posters I was critical of when they said something happened to them or their family onboard and DCL found a way to keep it quiet. Whether it was an injury noro or maybe something worse. In my run of 12 cruises I thought DCL could do no wrong, especially hiding bad publicity.

This story though does maybe bring out that side of Disney. This happened in April and a story didn’t come out till October? You would think they would want families that had previously sailed with this crew member make sure nothing was done to their children and if there was the parents can do what they need to do to get help for there kids to work through the issues.

Goes to show that no matter hw hard companies try to find good people to work for them there is always a bad apple that slip through time to time.

How will it remedy cases like these?
Are you going to be watching your kid on your phone/nanny cam 8 hours a day, while sunbathing by the pool, while sipping a drink at a bar, etc?
This is an awful case and I think parents should pressure DCL for stricter background checks on their CM's
imo DCL should only have female CM's in the kids clubs. No men near kids at all. I'm a man and I'm 100% for banning male CM's around kids. 95% of paedos are male. it's sad but its the way this world is.

And....that would likely open them up to sexual discrimination lawsuits. So not the solution.

we were on the Magic in July with our toddler grandkids.
There were a LOT of CMs working the clubs during our cruise which was a little over 2 months after the incident.

In fact, i was very impressed by how many staff were in there at any given time, both during open house and during closed secure hours.
During the closed hours, my husband and i kept checking back to see if our grandkids were ok since they'd never been on their own on a ship before (they're 3 and 5 years old).
Every time i came up to the check in desk to see if they were ok or wanted to leave, i could see that there were a very large number of CMs in the club.
Even the two times i went inside to talk to the 3 year old to make sure she was ok with staying (and had made that all important visit to the little girls room, which was still an iffy thing for her), i noticed how many CMs were inside the club.
In fact, from what i observed, there was never one CM alone with any of the kids in any of the rooms during the time i was in there (and both times, i was there for a while conversing with the 3 year old (and taking her to the bathroom one of the times).

When i heard about this incident for the first time yesterday, i thought that maybe that's why there were so many CMs in the clubs during our cruise.
But never having had kids in the little kids clubs, i have no idea if this was the case before or not (my only experience with the disney clubs was the teen club - the father of those toddlers to be specific).

we were on the Magic in July with our toddler grandkids.
There were a LOT of CMs working the clubs during our cruise which was a little over 2 months after the incident.

In fact, i was very impressed by how many staff were in there at any given time, both during open house and during closed secure hours.
During the closed hours, my husband and i kept checking back to see if our grandkids were ok since they'd never been on their own on a ship before (they're 3 and 5 years old).
Every time i came up to the check in desk to see if they were ok or wanted to leave, i could see that there were a very large number of CMs in the club.
Even the two times i went inside to talk to the 3 year old to make sure she was ok with staying (and had made that all important visit to the little girls room, which was still an iffy thing for her), i noticed how many CMs were inside the club.
In fact, from what i observed, there was never one CM alone with any of the kids in any of the rooms during the time i was in there (and both times, i was there for a while conversing with the 3 year old (and taking her to the bathroom one of the times).

When i heard about this incident for the first time yesterday, i thought that maybe that's why there were so many CMs in the clubs during our cruise.
But never having had kids in the little kids clubs, i have no idea if this was the case before or not (my only experience with the disney clubs was the teen club - the father of those toddlers to be specific).
No that’s just normal day-to-day operating numbers :)

Well, the cameras caught both incidents, and he confessed, so...

I heard the family dropped the charges because they didnt want to cause even more distress travelling to miami and reliving it

That one article says he confessed, but others deny he ever made a confession. This one goes into some more details - it also says the camera caught the incident, but again it may not have been what the child said happened. Not saying the child was wrong, or the cast member was right. We won't know the full story ever.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/crime/article236982535.html

Well, the cameras caught both incidents, and he confessed, so...

I heard the family dropped the charges because they didnt want to cause even more distress travelling to miami and reliving it
I hope the child agrees with that decision years from now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter