gratuities

WINTER

DIS Veteran
for alcoholic drinks, since they add 18%, do you normally leave it as is or give more? just curious

for alcoholic drinks, since they add 18%, do you normally leave it as is or give more?

I usually added another dollar (if it alerted me in time) - and a touch more if it was someone who had served me multiple times (like the server on Castaway).

We add, so it ends up at 25%. As Calantha said the app doesn't always alert you so you need to watch it closely. I found that some of the bartenders, still use paper if you walk up to the bar yourself.

With a reduced attendance, you could also consider how much less the server is making compared to the income they were previously sending home to their families. I’m sure the “Every little bit helps” applies here.

for alcoholic drinks, since they add 18%, do you normally leave it as is or give more? just curious
About 50/50 we just leave it as is, or give a couple of dollars to the server.

One note - the added gratuity goes into a shared pool to be shared by all bartenders/servers on your cruise (as well as any additional gratuity you add via the app to your onboard account). Any additional cash tip goes only to whoever you give it to.

About 50/50 we just leave it as is, or give a couple of dollars to the server.

One note - the added gratuity goes into a shared pool to be shared by all bartenders/servers on your cruise (as well as any additional gratuity you add via the app to your onboard account). Any additional cash tip goes only to whoever you give it to.

I was just about to ask about this. I have read that the crew members don't like cash tips because they don't have anywhere to deposit them right away, but if this is the case I would think they would all want cash!

I was just about to ask about this. I have read that the crew members don't like cash tips because they don't have anywhere to deposit them right away, but if this is the case I would think they would all want cash!
I'm not absolutely sure on this, but I believe there is a crew "bank" of sorts onboard the ship for depositing/withdrawing funds.

If they don't like cash tips, what do they prefer?

I always do more… the drink of the day gives the server less then a dollar… but I always have prepaid grats and always tip more including room service.. they love when I call 🤣

Personally, if there is a set gratuity added to any bill, that is all they get. I do this everywhere, not just on the ships. I figure since they are setting the gratuity, that is all they want.

Personally, if there is a set gratuity added to any bill, that is all they get. I do this everywhere, not just on the ships. I figure since they are setting the gratuity, that is all they want.
At a restaurant where the server has to ask a manager to apply the auto gratuity, sure. But on DCL there is no way for a server to take it off. Im don’t think anyone should feel like they HAVE to give extra, but I don’t think the land based analogy holds up well in this particular case.

At a restaurant where the server has to ask a manager to apply the auto gratuity, sure. But on DCL there is no way for a server to take it off. Im don’t think anyone should feel like they HAVE to give extra, but I don’t think the land based analogy holds up well in this particular case.
Especially since the servers don’t set the auto-gratuity amounts so saying that it means that it is “all they want” is weird. As you say, no one should feel that they have to tip extra, but this reasoning seems flawed.

We always add a bit more. But for the bar server that made his way across the hot sand at Castaway to bring my husband the right glass of scotch- he really got extra. Made all of us smile!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter