Gratuities On DDP

Restaurant Server minimum wage in the US is $2.13 an hour. Tips make up the rest of their income. You are not "subsidizing" Disney, that is the norm nation wide.

The normal restaurant gratuity in the US is 15%, 20% for outstanding service. In many restaurants, those tips are shared with the greeter/seater, bus persons and other staff. This is not a new practice.

I'm actualy surprised there isn't a mandatory 18% added to all DDP meals, regardless of the number of diners. Disney does this with the TiW card, even if only one person is dining.

It is also common practice throughout the US to add a mandatory tip to parties of 6 to 8 people of more.

I understand the national minimum wage for tipped employees is $2.13 but was reading this site that says Florida is $4.23, is Disney exempt from this or am I reading incorrectly? http://www.dol.gov/esa/whd/state/tipped.htm#Florida

US States can over-ride the US minmimum wage law, if it increases the minimum allowed wage. Apparently, Florida says that tipped employees must be paid a minimum of $4.23, with a $3.02 offset, vs the US law with a $2.13 minimum and $5.12 offset.

Basically, the US law says that the servers are paid $2.13, and the employer assumes that another $5.12 will be made in tips. The Florida law says the employer has to pay $4.23 and assumes another $3.02 will be made in tips.

$4.23 per hour still isn't enough to live on, for a full time server it is just under $8,800 per year in an area where renting or owning a home is expensive, and homeowners insurance is ridiculous.

$4.23 per hour still isn't enough to live on, for a full time server it is just under $8,800 per year in an area where renting or owning a home is expensive, and homeowners insurance is ridiculous.

I fully agree and don't mind tipping for good service. Sometimes I wish it was included in the menu price so us that do tip are not subsidizing others that don't, would they need to ask for 18-20% if everyone tipped a fair amount? but then quality of service would no doubt suffer if no tips. So complicated:rotfl:

We usually tip 15% on the total inc. tax (you can just tip on the pre tax amount) and round it up to the next dollar. If the suggested amount on DDP is 18% we'll just tip that. I suppose tipping does add up but we just factor it into the cost of the meal in the US.

I fully agree and don't mind tipping for good service. Sometimes I wish it was included in the menu price so us that do tip are not subsidizing others that don't, would they need to ask for 18-20% if everyone tipped a fair amount? but then quality of service would no doubt suffer if no tips. So complicated:rotfl:
i totally agree, however arent all wdw staff (shop, mousekeeping etc) paid the same amount? why then are some staff picking up tips and not others...
i tip what the service was worth and not what is on the sheet, yes sometimes its more, sometimes its less, but thats my choice. i shouldnt have to sub others...
i would also add that why i cant complain about my salary (hey of my local lea are reading this more would be nice:rotfl2:) i also know there are people on here who save for years to pay for a speacial holiday, and i totally agree that id rather spent my $2000 on something else.
could there not just be a "global" cover charge for service with the ddp?
we ll be 5 adults next year, and a grand on tips will not an option, as much as id like to help these people - i apologise in adavnce, next trip i wont be leaving more than $15 for excellent service whatever the meal costs- i just cant afford it.
Tracyxx

i totally agree, however arent all wdw staff (shop, mousekeeping etc) paid the same amount? why then are some staff picking up tips and not others...

Servers in restaurants are classes as tipped employees, and as previously said on the minimum wage Disney are allowed to pay. Other positions are not like mousekeeping and shop staff, they get a salary. Some people tip mousekeeping but its not strictly a tipped position.

Servers in restaurants are classes as tipped employees, and as previously said on the minimum wage Disney are allowed to pay. Other positions are not like mousekeeping and shop staff, they get a salary. Some people tip mousekeeping but its not strictly a tipped position.

so mousekeeping are better off than others?? that said i wouldnt want to do their job....:rolleyes1

so mousekeeping are better off than others?? that said i wouldnt want to do their job....:rolleyes1

The minimum wage for non-tipped positions, including housekeeping, shop personnel, etc., is $7.25 per hour. Some may make more than others if they are in supervisory positions or have a lot of years with the company.

Restaurant Server minimum wage in the US is $2.13 an hour. Tips make up the rest of their income. You are not "subsidizing" Disney, that is the norm nation wide.

The normal restaurant gratuity in the US is 15%, 20% for outstanding service. In many restaurants, those tips are shared with the greeter/seater, bus persons and other staff. This is not a new practice.

I'm actualy surprised there isn't a mandatory 18% added to all DDP meals, regardless of the number of diners. Disney does this with the TiW card, even if only one person is dining.

It is also common practice throughout the US to add a mandatory tip to parties of 6 to 8 people of more.

So sorry, I didn't mean to offend anyone, was meant to be tongue in cheek; but if the restuarant is only paying $2.13ph, then they are expecting diners to make up the salary; and as Disney actually specify an expected figure...... or am I reading this wrong? We did always pay 20%, and usually rounded it up, but I think it's wrong to be made to feel uncomfortable.....
Incidently, I was out with friends on Wed, one of whom works in a Harvester, and she was gobsmacked when I said how much we had been paying in tips!!

So sorry, I didn't mean to offend anyone, was meant to be tongue in cheek; but if the restuarant is only paying $2.13ph, then they are expecting diners to make up the salary; and as Disney actually specify an expected figure...... or am I reading this wrong? We did always pay 20%, and usually rounded it up, but I think it's wrong to be made to feel uncomfortable.....
Incidently, I was out with friends on Wed, one of whom works in a Harvester, and she was gobsmacked when I said how much we had been paying in tips!!
No offense taken.

Disney has always suggested tip amounts, they put them on the receipt now. Before they had cards, in several languages, stating it is customary to tip servers 15% to 20%.

Different cultures around the globe pay their servers differently, and do not rely on tips. Some may not know that tip make up the majority of the servers wage, and they pay taxes on those estimate tips, whether or not they actually receive the estimated amount on tips.

In Canada, for example, tipping is far less, as the servers are paid better.

And it really isn't uncommon to have 18% actually added to the bill for the gratuity in the US, Disney does it for almost all discounted meals, including employee discounts and Tables in Wonderland discounts. Most restaurants nation-wide add an 18% gratuity automatically if you have 6 to 8 persons in your party.

As far as the normal "paid" DDP, I think most International travelers are comparing it to an "all-inclusive" thing, while most Americans try to consider it a discount package. It really is neither. It is a convenience package, it may or may not save you $ based upon your normal dining habits.

As far as the Free DDP, you really kind of have to look at it as a room discount, not an all-inclusive.

As far as the Free DDP, you really kind of have to look at it as a room discount, not an all-inclusive.

I agree with this. For us it's pretty much how we would eat anyway (2 meals and 1 snack a day) so I can't imagine any of the public room discounts would work out cheaper, though for others this may well be the case. Even with the tip factored in we'd still pay more per night for accomodation, entertainment and food in many other destinations in Europe and even in the US.

When in Rome, do as the Romans do is very apt for this subject.

We are not in the UK when we eat at Disney World, so there is no use comparing how much a server may earn in in both countries, nor would I ever begrudge anyone earning a good wage and being successful. Why do we do that in the UK?

One of the things we always comment on our return to the UK is how good the service industry is in the U.S. and how we wish ours could be like that. Personally I wish the UK would adopt the US way of dining/serving/tipping.

As someone else mentioned, that $600 they may earn on a good night might be $100 on a slow night, then after sharing it with other co-workers you are looking at figures that are more like a regular wage.

Yes, we may be paying over the odds for tips at Disney, but guess what? The whole of Disney and the Orlando area is a tourist trap and a huge profit making machine. We know this before we go.

No offense taken.

Disney has always suggested tip amounts, they put them on the receipt now. Before they had cards, in several languages, stating it is customary to tip servers 15% to 20%.

Different cultures around the globe pay their servers differently, and do not rely on tips. Some may not know that tip make up the majority of the servers wage, and they pay taxes on those estimate tips, whether or not they actually receive the estimated amount on tips.

In Canada, for example, tipping is far less, as the servers are paid better.

And it really isn't uncommon to have 18% actually added to the bill for the gratuity in the US, Disney does it for almost all discounted meals, including employee discounts and Tables in Wonderland discounts. Most restaurants nation-wide add an 18% gratuity automatically if you have 6 to 8 persons in your party.

As far as the normal "paid" DDP, I think most International travelers are comparing it to an "all-inclusive" thing, while most Americans try to consider it a discount package. It really is neither. It is a convenience package, it may or may not save you $ based upon your normal dining habits.

Hi,
That's very interesting to know. We actually found the DDP worked well for us, and we didn't spend as much as we usually do! We have now worked out that our tips were high because we used the DDP to try the more expensive dishes that we probably wouldn't have gone for had we been paying for them! We now have a better idea of what to expect, and have already decided to play it differently (some of the time!) on our next visit. We've never been on an all inclusive hol before, so can't make the comparison.
I really don't object to paying a tip, I expect to pay the 'norm', but it's the fact that Disney actually quote 2 'suggested' amounts and then I feel really uncomfortable, and compelled to pay the higher amount! I know it's only a couple of dollars, but it's the principle! There is the argument that then you don't have to get your calculator out at the table,:) but why don't they just quote 18%, or just add 18% (as you said) and then it's sorted! Most people would just make it up to the highest dollar anyway!
Jules x

Originally we were going to stay in a villa, but then the free dining came up.

We thought great, stay on site and have free dining (even though in effect it came out around the same what we budgeted for eating if staying in a villa).

As Iluvtot says though, we were looking forward to having a few "nice" meals as they were included, but not sure now if will be able to do so, because the cost of meals will be much dearer, therefore making the tip more expensive.

I am beginning to wonder whether I should have stuck to the villa :sad2:

Can I ask then.

Spirit of Aloha Dinner

""Adult Dinner Show Menu - Family Style Feast: Tropical mixed greens with mango poppyseed dressing, pineapple coconut bread, sweet golden pineapple, Islando BBQ pork ribs, Lanoi roasted chicken, Polynesian rice, fresh seasonal veggies and Kilauea Volcano Delight Dessert. Presented in an open air theater, and; therefore may cancel due to inclement weather. - $59.99""

Will that mean we pay 18% tip of the £59.99???

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter