Grand Cayman Trashed?

treesinger said:
Ok, we're on the same page I think. We just use the term "trashed" differently. We probably use the term "flesh wound" a little differently too. :)

Hehe I didn't even read the second page. Sorry!

But to let you know we love you guys over on that side of the big pond all the same..

SpanishInquisition.gif

And let me say we just love coming to your country and meeting with you.
Two countries sometimes separated by the same language I think. Just thought that Trash was something you put out once a week for collection by the Dustman as we call them over here.

Anyway we are looking forward to our cruise in october if we ever get over the contact problems between us and Disney Cruise Line. No toll free here and they just never reply to either our travel agent or ourselves. Want to do a tour of the Island but understand they take our passports away at the onset and wonder how we get into Grand Cayman without them. Perhaps they will keep me there for the winter - really feel I would not mind that and not have to come back to drab winter in England.

Is it worth hiring a car and doing things yourself?

Has anyone been to Rum Point Beach since the storms?
I thought that there was a thread about this but, I can't seem to find it.
We are going in May and would like to do the stingray city and rum point beach excursion but, I don't want to go if the beach is shall we say "trashed"

Disney Inn May 1987 Honeymoon
offsite May 1992
Port Orleans 2000
Disney Wonder 2001
Wilderness Lodge 2002
Disney Magic 2003 Western
Beach Club Villas May 2004
Disney Magic Western May 7 2005

Hi My name is Lisa and I am a obsessive compulsive over planner :banana: :banana:

Skallywag said:
And let me say we just love coming to your country and meeting with you.
Two countries sometimes separated by the same language I think. Just thought that Trash was something you put out once a week for collection by the Dustman as we call them over here.

It's ok, I know a lot about England, I am also into auto racing, and words like boot and bonnet and tyres make me used to the small differences in our two ways of speaking. :)

Anyway we are looking forward to our cruise in october if we ever get over the contact problems between us and Disney Cruise Line. No toll free here and they just never reply to either our travel agent or ourselves. Want to do a tour of the Island but understand they take our passports away at the onset and wonder how we get into Grand Cayman without them. Perhaps they will keep me there for the winter - really feel I would not mind that and not have to come back to drab winter in England.

Is it worth hiring a car and doing things yourself?

I can't help you with getting in contact with DCL better, but I can answer the passport thing. You don't need them to leave and board the ship at the ports, only a photo ID for the adults and the Key to the World card which is your room key/onboard charge card. They use it to check you off and on the ship.

Considering the shape the island's in, I'd more suggest using whatever taxi service they have as they'll know the island better than you will.

goofytoo said:
Has anyone been to Rum Point Beach since the storms?
I thought that there was a thread about this but, I can't seem to find it.
We are going in May and would like to do the stingray city and rum point beach excursion but, I don't want to go if the beach is shall we say "trashed"

Disney Inn May 1987 Honeymoon
offsite May 1992
Port Orleans 2000
Disney Wonder 2001
Wilderness Lodge 2002
Disney Magic 2003 Western
Beach Club Villas May 2004
Disney Magic Western May 7 2005

Hi My name is Lisa and I am a obsessive compulsive over planner :banana: :banana:
Last I heard, Rum Point was going to be closed until at least March, but with things working on island time, it could end up being later. I'd take a wait and see approach.

Skallywag said:
I am sorry if I upset anyone but feel that trashed was such an unpleasant word to use in this instance. According to my dictionary it means waste or worthless and felt this perhaps was the wrong termanology in this instance.

I hate to toss an additional insight on this discussion, but being from Pensacola Florida—who was hit a few days after GC by the same Ivan—while you may find the term unpleasant, “trashed” is a sad, but very appropriate, term.
Unpleasant it is—and the recovery is very, very slow. Right this minute there are hundreds of thousands of pounds of debris still waiting to be collected and removed right down the street from our home and all over the Florida Panhandle as well. Considering we have FEMA to help, we can only hope for the most speedy recovery for every small island that was devastated by Ivan and the other horrific storms of 2004.
-----------------
Just an FYI from December 5, 2004 for one county:
Debris pickup is covered 90 percent by FEMA, 5 percent by the state and 5 percent by local government.
Escambia County, Florida
• Projected debris/Pensacola Beach cleanup cost: $300 million
• Projected local cost: $15 million
• An additional $75 million in costs is expected for hauling debris off private property.
• Estimated number of workers being used by the county at peak: 1,900
Debris collected so far:
• Vegetative waste: 4,011,318 cubic yards
• Construction and demolition waste: 527,287 cubic yards
• Sand: 788,758 cubic yards
• Total: 5,327,363 cubic yards
Source: Department of Solid Waste Management (as of Nov. 29)
City of Pensacola
• Estimated total cost: $25,033,583
• Local cost: $1,251,679
• Vegetative waste: 1,014,775 cubic yards
• Construction and demolition waste: 132,140 cubic yards
• Total: 1,146,915 cubic yards
• Number of truck loads: 32,192

I just got back from the Magic Western cruise. Grand Cayman was not as nice as I expected and yes, there is still major hurricane damage. The people seemed friendly and the cab rides to the beach are inexpensive ($3-4). We went to 7 Mile Beach ("Holiday Inn") for a few hours and were not impressed. There was garbage all over the beach (not hurricane damage but beer, soda bottles, etc that looked like it had been there for weeks). I realize some tourists are slobs but some effort should be made to keep the beaches cleaner. Maybe it was just this particular beach.

-Clovis
pirate:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter