Grand Californian Super Thread

Following this forum for my nov. stay. Do you suggest other facebook pages unofficial that offer more info. on the hotel? I haven't been in about a decade to gch. looking to get as much info. as possible.
-Google “Grand Californian reviews”
-Search GCH or Grand Californian reviews here on the DIS
-Make sure it’s Dec 2017 or later. That’s when the refurb completed & that turned the rooms into like a different hotel.

Following this forum for my nov. stay. Do you suggest other facebook pages unofficial that offer more info. on the hotel? I haven't been in about a decade to gch. looking to get as much info. as possible.
I closely follow GCH, and this thread contains more information that any other single source :thumbsup2
You could just skim through this entire thread, and you will be well informed :idea:

Anyone have an update on the pool bar construction? Really hoping it will be done by our May trip.

On 2/19, there was not much progress from Nonsuch's last photo (on 2/06). Mostly just the steel frames visible and a couple people working off an on each day. We didn't notice any heavy noise.

Maybe waiting for a bunch of material to be fabricated/delivered. I would bet one day it will start to move very quickly and be done in no time.

Thanks SeaDis! I'm hoping you're right! We'll be there with 5 year old twin grandkids and plan on taking swim / nap breaks daily. Their parents would LOVE that new pool bar:)

Looking forward to pics!...
The original porte cochere only had a roof in the center, aligned with the front door of the hotel.
Much of the porte cochere was decorative.
A few years ago:
gch_pc_old.jpg

The lattice work has has been replaced by a flat roof.
December 2018:
gch_pc1.jpg
gch_pc2.jpg
Added, view from above.
Typical Sunday checkin rush (March 3, 10AM)
gch_pc_sun.jpg

Last edited:
The original porte cochere only had a roof in the center, aligned with the front door of the hotel.
Much of the porte cochere was decorative.
A few years ago:
View attachment 385752

The lattice work has has been replaced by a flat roof.
December 2018:
View attachment 385753
View attachment 385755

Are you staying CL? If so, would you please take a few pics of the offerings? Since Storytellers changed to buffet only, I am curious if the offerings in CL has changed.
Thanks.

Any updates on the pool bar construction? Also - while they're working on it do they still have the servers walking around for drink orders or is that not happening now? Thanks!

Any updates on the pool bar construction? Also - while they're working on it do they still have the servers walking around for drink orders or is that not happening now? Thanks!
Very little progress on the Pool Bar.
The job site has been cleaned up and some tarps cover the dirt, but no additional steel.

Photo from March 3:
gch_pool_mar.jpg

I did not use the pool, but would expect there is still service.

Thanks Nonsuch! Looks like not much progress at all over the past month:(. I'm sure the rain isn't helping.

Are you staying CL? If so, would you please take a few pics of the offerings? Since Storytellers changed to buffet only, I am curious if the offerings in CL has changed.
Thanks.
I am next week! I’m awful at remembering to take photos of the offerings but I’ll give it a shot.

Hi all, I read a few of the more recent pages but can someone tell me what room requests I should put in if I want 3 separate beds (my 2 kids don't share a bed very well)? I assumed 1 King Bed and 1 Day Bed and 1 Twin-Size Sleeper Chair (per the DLR hotel website), but is it better to ask for 2 Queen Beds and 1 Twin-Size Sleeper Chair?

I read that folks seem to like rooms by the Napa Rose elevator, but I also wanted to ask if the rooms by the Napa Rose elevator are quiet. DH is a light sleeper, but I also don't want to walk really long hallways at the end of a very long day. We have just a standard view room as I didn't want to pay extra for the view but I'm willing to pay more if it gets me a better location and quieter room. Thank you!

PS We don't check in until after 10 pm due to a late night flight so I am willing to pay more to upgrade to a better "view" if it means we'll get the room we want instead of leftover standard rooms!

Very little progress on the Pool Bar.
The job site has been cleaned up and some tarps cover the dirt, but no additional steel.

Photo from March 3:
View attachment 387452

I did not use the pool, but would expect there is still service.

I didn’t even realize that Whitewater Snacks and the pool bar were being refurbished. Another website mentioned that the project will be completed in late spring. I’m really looking forward to the new pool bar, concept art looks great and we have a stay coming up in July!

I didn’t even realize that Whitewater Snacks and the pool bar were being refurbished. Another website mentioned that the project will be completed in late spring. I’m really looking forward to the new pool bar, concept art looks great and we have a stay coming up in July!
Whitewater Snacks refurbishment is done and has reopened with a new menu. The new pool bar construction is proceeding slowly, but i expect it to be done “In Summer” — as Olaf would say :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter