Graduation Trip/6 Days Deluxe Dining w/ Pics & a few Videos too!*UPDATE:Sci-Fi*

DSCN1153.jpg

I was pretty excited about this ADR. I actually moved this night's dinner from Tony's to the Wave because of some bad reviews of Tony's I'd seen. Also, being one of the newest Disney restaurants and offering a healthy and sustainable menu, I thought DBF and I would love it. It looked/sounded pretty cool from what I'd read.

We arrived a little early for our reservation. We walked up to the check-in and before I could say "hello, we're here for our reservation at so and so time" one of the CM's said very curtly, "NAME?" I was sort of taken aback. We'd run into maybe one or two CM's on our trip who seemed like they might have been having a rough day but they were still very polite and helpful. He asked each of the other standard questions that I normally say myself to move things along for them, but I was in shock. DBF might have taken over at this point. "RESERVATION TIME?" "DINING PLAN?" He wasn't even using complete sentences. "WAIT OVER THERE."

For the rest of the night, one thing ran through my head...what did I do? Was it because I looked kind of disheveled from a day at the MK? Because we were wearing shorts (they didn't have a dress code, right)? It is because we look like we should be accompanied by adults (I worried about this before the trip since people think DBF and I look younger than we are)? I watched him check in other guests after us, and his demeanor was friendly. This sort of set the tone for me for the whole meal. DBF didn't seem terribly fazed by it, but he did notice. No, I didn't complain. Maybe I should have, maybe I shouldn't have. I was just in shock.

Our waitress was nice. She seemed pretty busy and overworked though. The restaurant itself had a cool, neon entryway, lobby, and lounge area, but the seating area was kind of dark and blah. And there were no windows! I'm sure putting holes in the walls would have compromised the structural integrity of the place...but windows are a nice touch to any restaurant. Just sayin'.

So, on to the meal.
DSCN1154.jpg

The bread...but more importantly, sea salted butter! DBF thinks it was wine flavored. I do remember we had wine sea salt at one or two meals, so he might be right.

DSCN1155.jpg

DBF and I both had the soup of the day, which was tomato basil. DBF really liked it; he thought it had a very unique and smokey taste to it. I was not impressed. It tasted about as good as a generic brand can of tomato soup from the grocery store. I am picky about soups though. The little cheese sandwiches the soup came with on the other hand...YUM! I ate my two and DBF's because of his cheese aversion :goodvibes

DSCN1156.jpg

For the entree, I had the Braised Chicken Pot Pie. Sorry for the blurry picture. I thought the presentation of the dish was interesting. It sort of resembled a chicken pot pie, just pre-assembled. Actually, I wasn't sure if they had gotten my order right when it was brought to the table. As interesting as it looked, it was actually very bland. The sauce was thin and runny, and the pastry top tasted like a flakey saltine cracker (minus the salt). It wasn't the most filling dish either.

DSCN1158.jpg

DBF had the Chili-rubbed Flat Iron Steak. I really should have ordered this. DBF enjoyed it and managed to finish it all. He liked the avocado mousse, said it wasn't overpowering, but still added to the dish, and that the meat was tasty as well.

DSCN1160.jpg

For dessert, I ordered the Decadent Flavors: Blueberry Compote with Yogurt Gelato, Lemon Cornbread with Vanilla Panna Cotta, Chocolate Mousse with Salted Caramel. The blueberry was very tasty, but the cornbread was sort of strange. I let DBF have it because it didn't seem much like a dessert to me. The Chocolate Mousse was disappointing; it wasn't very sweet or mousse-y. I also gave this one to DBF after one taste.

DSCN1159.jpg

DBF got Creamy Indulgence: Cheesecake with Raspberry Coulis, Coconut Panna Cotta with Passion Fruit Drizzle, Chocolate-Passion Fruit Mousse with Pecan-Olive Brittle. He gave me the cheesecake and a little of his mousse. The cheesecake was decent, but I felt the same was about his mousse as I had about mine. The pecan-olive brittle was good though. So, out of six tasting desserts, I liked one :headache: DBF liked his mousse and the cornbread, and the rest were "okay".

Overall: I'm not sure I'll be going back to the Wave. DBF thought it was okay. I may have just ordered the wrong things, or maybe their type of food just wasn't my thing. And I know the incident at check-in was bothering me for the majority of the meal. The restaurant was also very loud, chaotic, and windowless. We probably came at a bad time.

So we were pretty hungry by the time we got back from MK that night and decided to stop by the Contempo Cafe for some midnight snacks!
DSCN1189.jpg

We got the Black Forrest Cupcake and the Dirt and Worms Cake. The cupcake was delicious, but the cake tasted a bit odd. The toppings were fine but the chocolate had a strange taste to it. I couldn't eat it but DBF did. He thought it was a little "funny" but not bad. :confused3

Thanks for reading! Up next: Sci-Fi Dine-In

thats too bad about the wave its not high on my list but that just knocks it a little lower !

Sorry to hear about the CM experience at the Wave
There is simply no excuse for that kind of treatment and I totally understand what you mean by it setting a tone for the evening
Really enjoyed your LTT review, I'd like to try it some day and you Toffee Cake looks yummy :worship:

I had the Worms in Dirt Cupcake/Cake back in October. I wasn't crazy about it either. Mine was really dry and you're right, the taste was just off... I wound up just picking out all the worms :)

DSCN1195.jpg

So we were a little late for this ADR...the line for the Great Movie Ride was actually quite a bit longer than advertised :guilty: The good news is, Sci-Fi wasn't crowded at all and they were able to seat us right away! I absolutely love this restaurant. Not so much for the food, but the nighttime atmosphere, the car tables, and the cheesy old Sci-Fi trailers they loop on the big screen. The restaurant is just plain fun! Now, I'd already been two times but DBF had never been. I knew he'd love the restaurant for their burgers and shakes, but also the bad Sci-Fi trailers. As a past physics major and now nuclear engineering, he's very interested in space and gets a kick out of 50's and 60's portrayals of the future. And I was right. He loved it. We kept referencing the "Cat Women from the Moon" the rest of the day :happytv:

I was also very happy with this ADR because I finally got a table in a car. On past trips we always got the little tables at the back. DBF thought it was a bit different...not the fact that we were eating in little car tables :rotfl: but that we were sharing cars with other parties. It really wasn't a problem at all though, since everyone in the restaurant was very quiet because we were all watching the big screen. Now onto the food!

DSCN1196.jpg

I had the spinach and artichoke dip for my appetizer. Honestly, it was kind of soupy. Edible, but soupy. I'm a big fan of spinach and artichoke dip, so this was kind of a let down because it was probably the worst I've had. The chips were also a bit...different. I think I would have preferred them all to be normal, colored tortilla chips and not purple and orange. Just a personal preference!

DSCN1198.jpg

DBF had the Beef Chili. He thought it was really good, but didn't care for the pico de gallo. He thought it was a little too strong and took away from the chili.

DSCN1200.jpg

DBF also ordered a chocolate shake and he liked it! I think I had read that people had to choose between this as a drink or a dessert, but they couldn't have both (or I could be making this up...not sure :rotfl:), but he was able to get a shake and dessert.

DSCN1201.jpg

For the entree, I had the smoked turkey sandwhich. It was good, but pretty big so I wasn't able to finish it. I was a little disappointed with the avocado mayo because I couldn't really taste the avocado. But otherwise, it was a tasty sandwich!

DSCN1202.jpg

DBF had the burger of course! He said there was nothing that really stood out, other than that it was really good :rotfl:

DSCN1203.jpg

For dessert, I had the peanut butter chocolate cake. It sounds a lot better than it was unfortunately. The cake was really dry and overall it was just pretty blah :sad2:

DSCN1206.jpg

DBF had the Apple Crumble and liked it. Do you see all the crumbs that coat it? They were delicious and I ate that part of the dessert for him! It was like a crispy, sugary dessert of it's own. Yum!

Overall: This was a very fun meal! I knew from other reviews that the food isn't so great, but it wasn't bad either. And the atmosphere completely makes up for any shortfalls. When we go back, I'll probably get the apple crumble and maybe try the burger. If you don't mind a burger and fry meal at Disney but want to try a really unique atmosphere, this is the restaurant for you!

Thanks for reading y'all! Up next: the Hollywood Brown Derby!

thats too bad about the wave its not high on my list but that just knocks it a little lower !

Yeah, I was really looking forward to it too. Glad to hear I'm not alone in my opinion.

Sorry to hear about the CM experience at the Wave
There is simply no excuse for that kind of treatment and I totally understand what you mean by it setting a tone for the evening
Really enjoyed your LTT review, I'd like to try it some day and you Toffee Cake looks yummy :worship:

Thanks, LTT was wonderful and a great choice for lunch or dinner in my opinion! The Toffee Cake is literally the best!

I had the Worms in Dirt Cupcake/Cake back in October. I wasn't crazy about it either. Mine was really dry and you're right, the taste was just off... I wound up just picking out all the worms :)

Hmmm, interesting to hear that we didn't just get a bad cupcake. Must just be a different kind of chocolate. I picked the worms out too :rotfl:

Great reviews. Your Coral Reef meal is my favorite meal in WDW. ALL OF IT!!! Makes me want the next 5 months to fly by so I can be there and have it. My DH and I LOVE the Jack Daniels dessert. I am NOT a drinker so I feel the alcohol in it!

So sorry to hear The Wave wasn't that great for you. I have always liked it but I haven't had their Chicken Pot Pie yet. I'll just stay away from that on our next trip :thumbsup2

Looking forward to more of your reviews!

I love your reviews and pictures.

LTT looks great. Any dessert that starts with ooey gooey has to be good.

Really enjoying so far. Our ADR window is very soon to open for our Post-Christmas trip, and a number of your restaurants are on my list to try for, so your reviews are very helpful and informative, not to mention entertaining! Can't wait for more.

I'm so glad I saw your review of The Wave! We were supposed to go there for dinner one night in order to stay local for Spectromagic, and already have ADRs for CG and Narcoossee's on other nights. Still, I was never too thrilled with the menu for The Wave, and finally last night we switched it to Kona Cafe since we know we love it there. I figure, if I'm not really over the moon about the menu, why waste the meal?

First of al, congrats on the graduation.

I'm delighted with your reviews, as we have ADRs at most of the places you've reviewed. However, I just found your TR and I cannot see the pics! Bummer, 'cause it looks you are trigger-happy (which is absolutely great by me). I hope the Photobucket issue gets resolved.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter