Got Youth Activities Questions? Ask Me Anything :)

Hi Shay, how do you handle children with peanut allergies? My daughter has a peanut allergy. When checking us in for our first cruise coming in October, the check in process indicated there might be peanuts served in the kids areas.
Hi! No there are definitely no nuts served in any of the food! However the food we do serve may have potentially come into contact with nuts so cannot be classified as completely but free.

Hello Shay! We're heading on the Fantasy in November, and it's our daughter's first time in the clubs! She's excited about all of the activities that are offered. She'll be 3-almost 4 at the time of the cruise. If there's an activity starting in the club/lab, do you make an announcement so that the kids can join in/how do you round up the kids to help them get where they need to go if interested in an activity? Also, I think I read somewhere that there is a preschool time for 3-5 year olds...is this an option for an activity? Thank you and we can't wait to see you on board sometime!
Hi! Yes there is sometimes preschool time offered, usually on longer cruises but check the navigators for your particular cruise to be sure!
They do make an announcement and the CM in each area asks the kids around them if they want to go. We can’t force them to participate if they don’t want to. This can be tricky because often parents will drop kids off at the Club/Lab for them to do a program and find out later they didn’t want to do it, which has made parents angry. But we cannot force any child to participate in anything (including mealtimes).

My son can go to edge on our next cruise (he will be 11). What is different and the same from Oceaneers?

My son can go to edge on our next cruise (he will be 11). What is different and the same from Oceaneers?
Same
- Still Youth Activities staff
- Self-checouk out
- Age specific space
- No additional cost
- Crafts and video games always available
- Activities listed in navigator and app

Different
- Self-checkout is required (tweens come and go as they please)
- No Oceaneer band
- Some activities occur outside of the space (D-Lounge, Sports Court, scavenger hunts)
- Smaller space
- No meals served inside Edge
- Food from pool deck and Cabanas permitted inside
- Not an age specific space on Castaway
- Tweens have a meeting point, but unlike Oceaneers (and Vibe), there is no specific space

Hi Shay,
My grandson is really into the Avengers. I see that there is an Avengers area in the kids club on the Magic. Do any of the Avengers actually appear if it's not an Avengers Day at Sea cruise? He'll be really disappointed if he doesn't get to meet any of his favorite characters.

Hi, Shay,

We're on the Fantasy next March. My son loved the Edge the last two cruises, but now has aged into the Vibe (15 yrs old). He was drawn to the video games and some of the arranged activities. Will he enjoy the Vibe just as much? Do they have a video games area? I think some of the arranged activities may be similar to Edge, so I'm hoping he'll be okay.

Also, will my 17 year old son still want to go to the Vibe? I know he can, but are there 17 year olds there or are they all "too cool" to hang out with the 14+ year olds?

What sorts of activities are available for a teen (13) in Edge? The online info is pretty vague, and I'm concerned that my teenaged daughter is going to be bored with 'tween' activities.
check out the navigators on the disney cruise blog, you can see what sorts of activities are everywhere.

Hi! No there are definitely no nuts served in any of the food! However the food we do serve may have potentially come into contact with nuts so cannot be classified as completely but free.
Hi Shay, you can request that they aren't given any food or snacks while in the club correct? My DD has food allergies and I only want her to eat with us. Thanks for any info you can give me concerning this.

H
Hi, Shay,

We're on the Fantasy next March. My son loved the Edge the last two cruises, but now has aged into the Vibe (15 yrs old). He was drawn to the video games and some of the arranged activities. Will he enjoy the Vibe just as much? Do they have a video games area? I think some of the arranged activities may be similar to Edge, so I'm hoping he'll be okay.

Also, will my 17 year old son still want to go to the Vibe? I know he can, but are there 17 year olds there or are they all "too cool" to hang out with the 14+ year olds?
Hello! Yes they do have video games.
It really depends on the young person. Some 17 year olds still love it, while others don’t want to go anymore. Encourage him to go and see if he can make some friends :)

Hi Shay, you can request that they aren't given any food or snacks while in the club correct? My DD has food allergies and I only want her to eat with us. Thanks for any info you can give me concerning this.
Absolutely you can request that your child does not eat with us! Just let the counselors know when you check in and they will put a note in the system.

Hello Shay.

We are on The Dream in December, a 4 day/3 day B2B.
We have 4 kids, DD16, DD14, DS12 an DS9.
Wondering if these is any possibility of DS9 (almost 10) going to Edge with DS12 and DD14?
We understand if it is not possible, he is just very close with his brother and anxious about going to the younger areas by himself.

Hello Shay.

Wondering if these is any possibility of DS9 (almost 10) going to Edge with DS12 and DD14?
We understand if it is not possible, he is just very close with his brother and anxious about going to the younger areas by himself.

Not possible for the 9 year old to go to Edge, but possible for the 12 year old to go into oceaneers with the 9 year old.

My question: When my kid asks to be picked up, and an alert is issued, sometimes it would be nice to know the urgency of the alert. I understand that if your kid wants to leave they are going to ping the parents, this I get.

However, I wanted to know if there is another message in case there is an emergency, like your kid got hurt or is sick, or is it always the same alert?

Selfishly, if my kid just wants to be picked up because he is bored, I might make him wait an extra 10-15 mins, but I would want to come quickly if it was some sort of emergency or he was sick.

Hello Shay.

My youngest DD was at the crossover age for both our cruises--Oceaneers/Edge at age 12 and Edge/Vibe at age 14--she stayed in the older clubs both times, so I would guess that your DD's 16 and 14 will be at Vibe together vs. the 14 yr old going to Edge with your 12 yr old DS. I would suggest that your 12 yr old son go to oceaneers occasionally with your 9 yr old, at least long enough for the 9 yr old to get comfortable and maybe make some friends. I agree that they are not going to let a 9 yr old into Edge, the age range is supposed to be 11-14. They have let some 10 yr olds in with a waiver, but if you think about it, a 13 yr old in that club is not going to want 9 yr olds in it...or really 10 yr olds either. Looking at DCL's age levels for those clubs--Edge is middle school and Vibe is high school, would you even want your 9 yr old in the club with 8th graders?

Absolutely you can request that your child does not eat with us! Just let the counselors know when you check in and they will put a note in the system.

Hi Shay,
My DD13 is sad that Edge's quality has been going down in the past couple of cruises... I:e counselors chatting among themselves, not caring about the activities, not interacting with kids.. what is the proper way to complain about this? do it by email or talking to the counselors' superior(s)?

Hi Shay,
My grandson is really into the Avengers. I see that there is an Avengers area in the kids club on the Magic. Do any of the Avengers actually appear if it's not an Avengers Day at Sea cruise? He'll be really disappointed if he doesn't get to meet any of his favorite characters.
I'm not Shay but when we did the Wonder in May 2018 the Avengers Academy had several visits and our cruise didn't have any specified Avengers Days. I know Spider-Man for sure and I think Captain America. Black Widow may have also made an appearance but I don't remember. I saw Spidey myself one day when I was picking them up.

My question: When my kid asks to be picked up, and an alert is issued, sometimes it would be nice to know the urgency of the alert. I understand that if your kid wants to leave they are going to ping the parents, this I get.

However, I wanted to know if there is another message in case there is an emergency, like your kid got hurt or is sick, or is it always the same alert?

Selfishly, if my kid just wants to be picked up because he is bored, I might make him wait an extra 10-15 mins, but I would want to come quickly if it was some sort of emergency or he was sick.
Hi! If there is a serious emergency we will ring you! Can’t run the risk of grown ups not coming haha ;-)

Hi Shay,
My DD13 is sad that Edge's quality has been going down in the past couple of cruises... I:e counselors chatting among themselves, not caring about the activities, not interacting with kids.. what is the proper way to complain about this? do it by email or talking to the counselors' superior(s)?
Hello, I am terribly sorry your daughter feels this way! If you would like to issue a complaint you can certainly discuss the situation with our managers while onboard. It would be the quickest way to enact change. If you didn’t do this onboard, you can email. It might not have any effect on the counselors the complaint involved though.
I do hope you will cruise with us again! S x

Hello Shay.

Hi, unfortunately he won’t be able to go to Edge. Your 12 year old might like some of the activities in Oceaneers and want to come :) If you think he will be anxious, I suggest you coming along with him to Open House and show him the space. We will then make sure he’s engaging in some form of programming while he is here

Hi, unfortunately he won’t be able to go to Edge. Your 12 year old might like some of the activities in Oceaneers and want to come :) If you think he will be anxious, I suggest you coming along with him to Open House and show him the space. We will then make sure he’s engaging in some form of programming while he is here

Thank you. That is what I thought but it does not hurt to ask.
I know he will be fine, and anxious may not have been the best word to describe his feelings.....worried he isn't going to have fun by himself in the baby room while his bro is slaying it in Edge is more appropriate.
I do realize the 12 yo can still go to Oceaneers with his brother but he is less interested in going to the area with the 3 year olds in it than the 9 yo is.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter