Goodbye RCI

Why DVC went to RCi is II was VERY limited selection, VERY limited availability . Hard to get the resort you were looking for.
Great example was Atlantis . You easily had to wait more than 5years for a match.
II does have great resorts, just have to be very flexible.

I wonder if any of this is from people buying super cheap RCI resales just to get DVC reservations to rent on redweek?

Why DVC went to RCi is II was VERY limited selection, VERY limited availability . Hard to get the resort you were looking for.
Great example was Atlantis . You easily had to wait more than 5years for a match.
II does have great resorts, just have to be very flexible.
I own resorts that trade in both II and RCI.

RCI needed DVC A LOT more than II needs DVC.

What will be interesting to see is what kind of concessions II made to get DVC back into the fold. I suspect it's not a huge priority for DVC to provide external exchanges to it's members, because most DVC members bought DVC to stay at DVC. However, they probably needed to provide an option for their members whose points were about to expire.

DVC will trade very well within II. However, MVC / Vistana (Starwood, Westin) both have preference periods for their members to trade into other members that are part of that group.

This makes peak season availability tricky to get unless you own a resort within that system.

I have only exchanged once - 10 years ago with Interval - The Royal Sands, Cancun (before they switched to AI). Owner for 20/21 years.

Curious what the point chart will look like too.

I wish there was a thread for anyone who has traded - but probably not many to have much activity.

Are we automatically enrolled with Interval as DVC members? Or do we have to still pay the fee to join Interval directly through their website?

So no more exchanging into SSR using RCI point’s?

Very disappointed as we love the seven day stays at the 1 bedrooms at SSR for our family. We found exchanging our RCI points into Disney for those SSR rooms to be less costly than using our DVC points.

Very disappointed as we love the seven day stays at the 1 bedrooms at SSR for our family. We found exchanging our RCI points into Disney for those SSR rooms to be less costly than using our DVC points.
There were a handful of savvy DVC owners that had this figured out. I'm sure it wasn't a big reason for the move, but it could have played a factor.

I've traded into DVC with RCI Points, and RCI never seemed like a good fit. You will like Interval much, much better.

I still think that exchanging should be a last resort since you are almost always better off renting your points. The lone exception would have been during COVID.
We are Canadian and have a cruise planned in May so will have 176 points we will need to exchange by the end of June or lose them.

There were a handful of savvy DVC owners that had this figured out. I'm sure it wasn't a big reason for the move, but it could have played a factor.
Ya. We often just used our DVC points to extend our stays and rented out the rest. Might have to add on to our SSR contract now 😀

There are a lot of DVC points deposited into RCI in the last year by owners trying to salvage points that would have otherwise been lost due to COVID-19. DVC has to deposit villas into RCI in exchange. Put in an ongoing search or stalk your RCI member portal - there have been recent weeks at OKW and SSR available January into April at least.

There are a lot of DVC points deposited into RCI in the last year by owners trying to salvage points that would have otherwise been lost due to COVID-19. DVC has to deposit villas into RCI in exchange. Put in an ongoing search or stalk your RCI member portal - there have been recent weeks at OKW and SSR available January into April at least.
Ive got a room for next March, was hoping to get one for May too.

It will be interesting to see what rooms DVC makes available in II? Still just SSR 1 bedroom weekly stays ?

Any thoughts on the cash options? I never used the RCI last minute getaways but they sometimes looked like good opportunities.

But as of Jan 1 2022 its a mute point….correct ?
I doubt that by January 1, 2022 DVC will have deposited everything it “owes” RCI for the points deposited to RCI by DVC owners. How long it will take them to offset those DVC points deposits with weeks available to RCI members I don’t know, but since DVC members with points in RCI have until the end of 2023 to use them, DVC may be depositing weeks into RCI through that time as well.

I doubt that by January 1, 2022 DVC will have deposited everything it “owes” RCI for the points deposited to RCI by DVC owners. How long it will take them to offset those DVC points deposits with weeks available to RCI members I don’t know, but since DVC members with points in RCI have until the end of 2023 to use them, DVC may be depositing weeks into RCI through that time as well.

I like the sounds of that. Once theres no more DVC rooms available to RCI , I will think about selling my RCI timeshare (give it away 😀).

facebook twitter