Good Bye to Onsite at Universal

I don't think a budget hotel should get FOTL. If express passes are being sold for $25+/person, then charging $59/night for a budget hotel would basically be giving away two express passes and getting the hotel for free. I don't like that idea at all. FOTL is worth more than that.
I would prefer to see the RPR quit being a convention hotel and cater only to park guests.

damo said:
I don't think a budget hotel should get FOTL. If express passes are being sold for $25+/person, then charging $59/night for a budget hotel would basically be giving away two express passes and getting the hotel for free. I don't like that idea at all. FOTL is worth more than that.
I would prefer to see the RPR quit being a convention hotel and cater only to park guests.
Ok, so $59/night would be too cheap. As it stands, RPR is your best shot, as far as lowest price... but at over $200/night, it is still pretty steep in my book. (I am there 2/21-2/26, rate of 198.90...stay 4 or more nights discount).

Instead of budget, how about moderate? Going for something like $99-150/night and no more??? Would that seem better?? Cause as of now, I don't feel that the rate is great, even with the perk of FOTL.

ASM is about $109 a night, and that's the rate people used to get a few years ago with the entertainment book. I think anything from $109-$129 is what people are looking for. But I agree, over $200 is making people go back to the All Star resorts where they can save a couple hundred and use it for souvineers and food.

The other thing is the thrill of getting a great rate is gone now that the entertainment rate has vanished. People seemed to get all excited when they booked a room with that rate, like they had won something. Now the only rate that does anything is AAA, and that's only a slight discount.

We had also hoped to stay at one of the Universal resorts for our Honeymoon in May. When it became pretty evident that the AAA price was the best we could do, we ended up booking a moderate at Disney instead. (Much more affordable for us).

We just stayed at Pop Century at WDW in early December for $49 a night. Sure it's no Universal Hotel, have stayed at all three, but with our AP we got free parking at Universal and with the park crowds you did not need FOTL. Only had a 15 minute wait at the Mummy which was the longest. Now we are going again in August and I really hope we can get a good rate because we really want to stay at Universal, but they have to realize there are cheaper places and the people will find ways to work around the high prices.

I wonder how long it will be before Loews feels the backlash of their higher prices?

We are staying one night at RPR after our Eastern Cruise. We let DS16 choose an extra day at Cocoa or Universal. He opted for Universal. The AAA rate I've paid for that night is the most I've ever spent on a hotel room ($210 before taxes). We're there at the end of NE Feb vacation, so there just aren't any more discounts available. I have to say I like my AP discounts on food and souvenirs at Universal, and I know we'll have fun on the coasters. This could be our last on-site stay, or we'll just be doing it for one night to get two days of FOTL.

dgaston said:
The AAA rate I've paid for that night is the most I've ever spent on a hotel room ($210 before taxes). We're there at the end of NE Feb vacation, so there just aren't any more discounts available.
I am pretty sure it's not that there "aren't any more discounts available. I don't think the discounts for this time were ever any better. I was quoted 210.60 for APH for 2/22-2/26, the same rate as AAA. This was going back to when AP rates were first available for that time. (RPR)

damo said:
I wonder how long it will be before Loews feels the backlash of their higher prices?

As I posted elsewhere - what makes you think they will feel any backlash?
They must be selling out at the higher rates (people have been reporting they're filling up), therefore they're still filling rooms and those who stay will spend at Universal.
If they stop filling rooms I'm sure you'll see good AP rates again.

d4est said:
I am pretty sure it's not that there "aren't any more discounts available. I don't think the discounts for this time were ever any better. I was quoted 210.60 for APH for 2/22-2/26, the same rate as AAA. This was going back to when AP rates were first available for that time. (RPR)

I don't know about AP rates, but our dates the first week of March 2004 for HRH the rate was $160 via Hotel Kingdom (with Expedia offering a similar rate). This year the rate for those dates in 2005 has been $264 and has not budged. Personally, I cannot bring myself to pay $200 more per night (we need two rooms) to stay in the exact same hotel the exact same week we stayed last year.

We love HRH, we even were able to upgrade to concierge last trip for extra $50/night. We will really miss it if we can't get a good rate. But we will certainly take advantage of the Disney discounts!!!

robvia said:
The other thing is the thrill of getting a great rate is gone now that the entertainment rate has vanished.

I've been away from the Universal boards for a while, focusing on Disney, and so am confused about the Ent rate! There's no more Ent rate?? I saved a ton of money a couple of years ago with that rate! I'm planning my 2006 UO trip and I NEED the Ent rate! Someone, please fill me in. When did they stop giving out rate?
Thanks!

Well, I would say that if you are looking for the Ent. rate, you will be SOL just like me. I am trying to book Jul 11-14 and so far there are absolutely no rates except for AAA or RAck rate. WIthout the Entertainment rate, I find it quite hard to pay $300 for a room I am in for 8 hours MAX! Supposedly Universal Orlando is still negotiating with Entertainment Inc., but I really think that Loews and Universal are just flat out screwing their prospective customers. They have got to be making about a 75% profit off each night we stay there. I think it is absolutely riduclous. Anyway, hope this helps.....Tyler

Aisling said:
I've been away from the Universal boards for a while, focusing on Disney, and so am confused about the Ent rate! There's no more Ent rate?? I saved a ton of money a couple of years ago with that rate! I'm planning my 2006 UO trip and I NEED the Ent rate! Someone, please fill me in. When did they stop giving out rate?
Thanks!

I just put in my date for June and it would seem that there are some annual pass rates now, but it's less than $30 off so $237 instead of $264. I'm not familiar enough with the other room rates to know if the other rates for HRH are any good. It's not worth it to buy an annual pass for this rate.

we thought about a couple of rooms when friends come down late march. the florida resident rate is $274.00. I laughed. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter