Good Bye to Onsite at Universal

mainelyj

Mouseketeer
As annual passholders to USF/IOA, we were hoping to get a good room rate for our August trip. I booked at the Royal Pacific for 3 nights, got a rate of $210 (standard) per night. This is the AAA rate. NO AP, Ent or other specials available. However yesterday I booked us for 3 nights at Disney's All Star Sports, for the cost of 1 night at the Royal Pacific. I got a AAA rate.

Plus, they are throwing free pick up and drop off at the airport. I figured we save an additional 4 days of car rental expense. We are having Disney pick us up on our arrival, they will then bring one of us back to MCO to pick up our car (no charge).

We will visit Universal and will miss the front of the line access. But we are good at using FAst Passes and Express Passes and this will be enough for us. :charac2:

If Universal monitors this board, I would like to say boo hoo to them. They should treat their AP holders better than they do now. They are too greedy, when it comes to their hotels. Also, I have noticed on the Loews site recently, that the Orlando hotels are exempt from many special promotions.

That is all I have to say. :earboy2: Donna from Maine

That free shuttle from MCO to Disney seems to be a hit with getting people away from USF.

I found the same $210 AAA rate for my dates of July 6-8. APH and FLO codes don't do anything. And if I enter my Loews member number it brings up regular rates.

Well, I just called 1-800-BE A STAR and booked a room. The girl on the phone was able to give me the AAA rate of $210 for 2 nights, and enter my Loews number into the computer.

I asked about the entertainment rate, but she said they don't know anything about it.

I'll pay the extra money because we're bringing our Lab with us.

I wonder how much of the quation is loews and how much is UO. either way, now that tourism is picking back up, they're in a position and sit back try to make up the 50 some million they lost last year. UO has a finite amount of rooms on property, it's about squeezing every dime you can out of them. abundant AP and FLO codes may be the thing of the past.

I don't really think it's fair to compare a rate at the All Star Resort with the rate at the RPR. RPR is more equivalent to a WDW deluxe hotel. The new service WDW in offering with the airport pick up is GREAT. The fact that they handle all the luggage is wonderful. I wonder how long it will remain free.

mainelyj said:
We are having Disney pick us up on our arrival, they will then bring one of us back to MCO to pick up our car (no charge).

Great idea- I didnt think of doing that!

I am waiting for HRH but if discounts dont happen we will stay at disney instead of our usual Dis/US split vacation. I wont even mind staying at All Stars- Im glad I didnt buy a Universal AP.

There will probably be discounts. Just this week we received information on discounts for January and February for AP holders in our newsletter.

RP for $119
HR for $139
PBH for $149

Just because there are no discounts offered right now for August doesn't mean there won't be any. Even WDW doesn't have their AP codes for August yet.

phamton said:
There will probably be discounts. Just this week we received information on discounts for January and February for AP holders in our newsletter.

RP for $119
HR for $139
PBH for $149

Just because there are no discounts offered right now for August doesn't mean there won't be any. Even WDW doesn't have their AP codes for August yet.
Did that newsletter give you dates for Feb? Cause we are going week of 2/19 and I can't get AP rates to show up. Only seasonal rate of 234 for RPR. If I put in 2/23-2/28, I get an AP rate of 210.60. Not even close to what I was hoping.

Right now I am paying rack for 2/21 and paying 198.90 (stay four or more days, save up to 25%) for 2/22-2/26. This is the "best" they have to offer! I want to see something closer to what you posted (119).

We are having Disney pick us up on our arrival, they will then bring one of us back to MCO to pick up our car (no charge).

How does this benefit you if you have a hire car to collect at MCO...Why not just collect it at the airport when you arrive ?

Dont get me wrong I dont want to sound like I am flaming you, I just think that this service was set up mainly for people who dont venture offsite during their stay at WDW so dont book hire cars. :confused:

Universal is not going to compete with the budget priced hotels at Disney and it isn't fair to expect them to do so. If the deluxe disney hotels were offering rooms for cheaper than Universal with the same perks then there is reason for comparison. Add onto that the price of the Disney AP compared to the Universal AP.

d4est said:
Did that newsletter give you dates for Feb? Cause we are going week of 2/19 and I can't get AP rates to show up. Only seasonal rate of 234 for RPR. If I put in 2/23-2/28, I get an AP rate of 210.60. Not even close to what I was hoping.

Right now I am paying rack for 2/21 and paying 198.90 (stay four or more days, save up to 25%) for 2/22-2/26. This is the "best" they have to offer! I want to see something closer to what you posted (119).

The dates are Jan. 9-Feb.17 and include a complimentary room upgrade.

I agree with everyone who is staying you can't compare the two. I have stayed at All-stars before and to be honest, I wouldn't stay there again, but that is my opinion. I would rather pay a little more money and stay at Portofino Bay or Royal Pacific, but we are all Universal Nuts now, so Disney is 2nd to anything else! LOL

We are in florida for 12 days. Hence we need to rent a car for 12 days. By staying at Disney for the first 4 days of our trip, we save on car rental while we are there.

Of note, I like National and this board has literally saved us hundreds of dollars on our vacations. National is onsite at Disney and disney would bring us there for free too. But it costs almost $50 more to pick up there and return at MCO. VS picking up at MCO and dropping off at MCO.

Yes, the All Star Sports does not compare at all the Univeral hotels. However, don't we all just sleep, shower and nap in our rooms? Luxury is nice, but you usually have to pay for it. I have enjoyed or stays at the RPR and HRH - usually we stay club level too. I am just asking for the AP benefit. They should not wait until last minute to release these rates in hopes of filling up empty rooms.

I will be watch prices between now and August, and yes they may go down, or they may not.

It used to be that the early bird gets the worm, or something like that. But not any more. I like to preplan as much as ahead of time.

I guess I will take my $500 in savings to spend elsewhere. I am sorry I am not willing to give it too Loews, at this point in time.

Donna in Maine

I agree the Disney hotels of Mod or value don't compare to the Universal ( at least hard rock where I stayed). That is why we are going 7 night to Disney at the Dolphin or Caribbean Beach Resort and then switching to HRH for 3 nights. I have little kids so it is great not to wait in line, but they get more out of Disney at there age, Universal for us big kids. The transportatin is great at Disney to airport but you do have to cover the cost to Universal.

We figured it is good since we don't get a car, take free transp. from Disney then a cab to HRH and back to the airport.

MAry

mainelyj makes a very good point. I can understand having an AP and having to sweat out rates. what's the point of planning and budgeting for a trip?

I'm also foregoing our usual 2 night minimum stay at RPR this March and extending our stay at POR at Disney. We will go to Universal for the day. Like many other people, I can't justify the cost!

We have stayed at all of US/IOA resorts and although the RPR is nice and on both trips we stayed club level- I would compare the room size to a moderate or WL. The HRH and the PBR are very much comparable to the Disney deluxes. With that being said we own at DVC and stay in one and two bedrooms and personally I would not pay rack rate for any of Loews choices. And with the possibililty of FOTL access being suspended or limited during your stay with no notification.....Sorry, nope!

We purchased AP's last year with the hope of returning this summer. But with the rates looking like they are its unlikely we will return- we got 6 days off the AP's last year so no money lost. My kids could go and go and go to IOA and ride coasters the whole time but my DH and I have no ago tired of the 2 park offerings. That being said Disney is starting to get dull also. You can only go so much! :guilty: And when perks go or get scaled back due to what ever reason then my $$ will go somewhere else.

mainelyj said:
Plus, they are throwing free pick up and drop off at the airport. I figured we save an additional 4 days of car rental expense. We are having Disney pick us up on our arrival, they will then bring one of us back to MCO to pick up our car (no charge).

Donna you don't have to go back to the airport to get a rental car. You can pick one up at a couple of onsite hotels at Disney. I believe the Alamo location is either the Swan or Dolphin and you can get a car from Dollar at one of the Downtown Disney area hotels (the Courtyard I think). And if you rent from those locations you can return it at the airport for no additional charge.

Hope this helps some,
Lori

P.S. I too am upset about the Universal hotels rates and what seems to be an extreme lack of discounts. I was considering getting AP's but no way if they aren't going to give AP holders better rates than other guests. Combine that with the fact that they started limiting FOL during peak periods and there is no way I'm willing to pay those rates. Who knows if they are going to decide the first part of June is busy enough to limit it.

I have to say, I've been looking at this thread for a couple of days and am really starting to agree with the consensus. Right now we have ressies at our beloved HRH for two nights in August, then on to BCV for five days as we are DVC members. But I think I will be canceling and rebooking at an All Stars for three nights and just traveling over to UO/IOA and getting some express passes. We are APHs at UO but so far there are no discounts like last year when we bought them. The costs over at Universal for room rates as well as dining just doesn't compare to the money I would save by staying over at Disney and buying some express passes and eating at the food court.

Sorry UO and Loews- you just lost over $500 of my money!

We are going in June and had planned to split our visit between WDW and UO (like the past 2 trips) but there is 6 of us and we would need 2 rooms at UO. We are staying in a 2 bdrm villa at OKW for 4 nights. I refuse to pay more for 2 rooms at RPH for 3 nights than the villa for 4 nights, so no UO this trip if there are no deals by March or April. We will add the last 3 nights at WDW.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter