Going through a travel agent (or AAA) worth it?

PeanutButterMom

Mouseketeer
Is it better to do it all yourself? I have a couple reservations "saved" on Disney's main page, and I just got a couple quotes from "Disney travel agents"... and they all gave me the exact same price. What do you "get" by going through a travel agent? I thought it was a discount of some sort?

I also got an offer in the mail from AAA ($44 for 2 household members, etc). But then I was reading around here and thought maybe that AAA wasn't such of a discount, especially since we aren't renting a car or anything.

I guess this part kind of confuses me. It's a LOT of money, and I kind of have to feel like I'm getting a good "deal".

Supposedly you get someone who will do things like make you dining reservations etc...

I won't use most of the Disney "TAs" because it's more like a "hobby" then a business. My rules for TAs are they MUST have a 24/7 service because screw ups NEVER occur between 9 and 5 Eastern Time. Most of the Disney TAs don't meet that standard.

Basically a TA is someone you hire to do the work for you. It doesn't necessarily give you discounts. We have always booked through AAA and get discounts because we are AAA members. The other advantage for us is having someone knowledgeable that can take care of the changes. Though now that we have gone as a family about 10 times I feel we can handle on our own.

I think if you're traveling to a place where you may not be able to get a lot of info on places to stay, things to do etc than using a ta specializing in that area would be a good idea.

I think wdw is a simple DIY vacation.

I would not bother with a TA for a WDW vacation unless they are offering you something to book. I just switched my DCL reservation to a Disney TA and she does give Disney gift cards and some other things for booking a DCL or WDW vacation. AAA may have a small ticket discount but you cant use it if booking a package.

I'm beginning to ask myself the same question. We took a WDW trip in February and I booked everything on my own through WDW over the phone. Had no problems at all. Made all of my payments online, booked my own dinner reservations and, in the end, it was a fantastic trip.

So now, we just booked another trip but decided to use a friend who has recently become a Disney travel agent. I was glad to help out a friend who is just getting started but so far, it's been a royal pain in the tush. I have to call her every time I want to make a payment, (can't just log in online and do it myself). I wanted to change our room reservation and because I have a 'middle-man' we've now missed out on the room availability and will not be able to upgrade. (it was available at the time I checked online but by the time I was able to get a hold of her, that room category is booked up.) And yes, their prices are the same as Disney's. Even AAA didn't have a discount - they only offered a parking pass and a special viewing area for fireworks. (Maybe a few other perks with AAA but none that really interested us - saving money would have been better.)

So, anyway, my recommendation is that if you need a helping hand and don't enjoy doing all of your own planning, use an agent. Just prepare yourself that you may not get things done immediately and you may have to wait for an email response or phone call from your agent before you can do anything. However, if you enjoy the planning and know how to research on your own...book it yourself and safe the aggravation! If I had it to do over again, I would book straight through Disney myself.

oh and PS - just noticed you're 2013 includes a hoping for "POFQ". Stayed there this year and LOVED it. It's beautiful!

In the past I have used travel agents and it has worked fine until I needed to make some changes with Disney. Only the travel agent can make changes as they own the reservation. Now even if travel agents offer incentives, I still book directly. Therefore when I arrive and there is a problem I can handle it directly.

It depends on the incentive or discount for me. I am capable of and prefer to control my own reservation. I change my mind a lot during planning and I hate to bother the TA every time I want to change a reservation or resort.
However, if they are offering a substantial discount or bonus that I can't get on my own then I will.

For a wdw vacation I will not book thru AAA as I save no money being a AP holder. If you want full pkg ( tixs, Room with/without dining) there is a discount on room part of pkg.
For my Dl stay I may use AAA as it saves me 200.00 over booking myself.

A AAA package at WDW gives you some sort of parking pass, but when I booked through them I found out that they give you the EXACT same price as Disney and charged a $10 fee. So if you want a $10 parking pass, go for it...

If an agent has your reservation only they can make changes. So if you switch resorts, you can't do it.

A AAA package at WDW gives you some sort of parking pass, but when I booked through them I found out that they give you the EXACT same price as Disney and charged a $10 fee. So if you want a $10 parking pass, go for it...

If an agent has your reservation only they can make changes. So if you switch resorts, you can't do it.
I wasn't charged anything extra for booking thru AAA I got same amount when I priced it thru WDW site and when AAA TA did it for me.

It's worth checking AAA (the membership has other perks as well, hotel discounts, other amusement parks, my local Dunkin Donuts, Dairy Queen, Pretzel Factory, and other restaurants give discounts for the card as well and I have had to use the towing and other items associated with the card). We were able to save over $1000 on our trip coming up in November. We are staying in a villa with 7 people (we are not DVC). We repriced it out when free dining came up, and the AAA discount still beat the Disney price by $400. You never know what deals they may have access too. We are going on a holiday so even the AAA agent was surprised at the discount but $1000 is a nice savings! A typical peak season is 10% but our's is much greater than that. At least worth looking into! I did all of my own ADRs and such but my agent was willing to help if necessary.

I booked a free dining trip to WDW last December, no more of a discount since free dining was the discount, however there are several extra perks for booking via AAA that in or opinion made it worth booking with them:

2013 Preferred Fireworks Viewing Location - When your Clients purchase select AAA Vacations packages that include a Disney Dining Plan, they may enjoy a special viewing location for Wishes Nighttime Spectacular, the biggest brightest fireworks extravaganza in Magic Kingdom Theme Park history.
Advance reservations, reservation voucher and valid Theme Park admission required; one viewing per person; space is limited and subject to availability; fireworks schedules vary by season and certain block-out dates apply for this benefit during holiday periods. Inclement weather may affect outdoor entertainment. 2013 block-out dates include and are not limited to: 1/1/2013-1/2/2013, 3/24/2013-4/6/2013, 7/1/2013-7/7/2013, 11/24/2013-11/30/2013, 12/22/2013-1/2/2014.

Exclusive! Disney's Story Time Experience - When you purchase select AAA Vacations packages that include a Disney Dining Plan, you may enjoy a special storytelling experience which features a character from a classic Disney animated feature film that takes place at Epcot®. Experience is available on Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays at 10:00am, 10:45am, 11:30am and 12:15pm.

Advance reservations required at least 24 hours in advance. Available one time for the entire party booked on the package. Voucher and Resort ID required at time of redemption. Must be redeemed during the Package Validity Dates. Reservations are subject to availability. There is limited seating. Not valid for admission to any park. Voucher is non-transferable. Lost or stolen vouchers will not be replaced. Voucher may not be redeemed for cash in whole or in part. Offer and entertainment subject to change without notice. Performance days and times subject to change without notice; block-out dates apply.

Exclusive! AAA Vacations Diamond Savings Card - A special card offering savings and values of 10%, 15% or 20% off at many participating dining, recreation, merchandise, tour, and spa locations throughout the Walt Disney World Resort (one card per package; nontransferable and void if sold).

Exclusive! AAA Diamond Parking - Convenient Preferred Parking spaces at all four Walt Disney World Theme Parks (subject to availability, voucher required, block-out dates apply; nontransferable and void if sold).

AAA Vacations keepsake luggage tag (one per person).

Hertz Complimentary Child Seat - Add a Hertz car rental to your AAA Vacations package and request one child seat at no additional charge (restrictions apply).

I use Dreams Unlimited Travel (owners of this site) and love them. My agent stayed on top of any deals that came out and let me know right away if I should change anything to save money. She would have made my reservations for dining but I wanted to do that myself. Making payments was easy - online! Agent was available to answer any questions I had!

We've always used AAA because of the insurance they offer with the package deals. This past year we again got the insurance and had to cancel our trip due to DS's medical issues and got most all of our money back (minus the agent fee), so to me AAA is worth going through and we always feel like we get a good deal through them.

I always use the same travel agent from Our Laughing Place. Her name is Donna and she is so great! Of course I know how to book a trip and I have been enough to know what I want to do and where I want to eat. However, it's great to have someone to bounce ideas off and ask their opinion of different attractions, restaurants etc. She lives near Disney and has been hundreds of times. She always keeps me updated on discounts and better deals. She sends me literally a notebook full of tips and information on Disney that I have never read in any book or website. She gets to know my family's likes and dislikes and makes suggestions based on that. I love knowing that I am not missing out on any info or deal!

I haven't used AAA since 2007 (I am now a DVC member) but I do remember at the time if there was no discount available (ie 40% off room or free dining) then AAA was the only way to get 10-15% off a room AND add the DDP (full price of course :lmao:)

Of course Disney might have closed that loophole (at the time you could only book room only using AAA discount directly through Disney)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter