Going nuts with all this planning!

babsnabbs

Earning My Ears
I never thought I had the obsessive compulsive planning disorder like Faireygod mother or pfishgirl, but JEEZ! This cruise planning is killing me. I can't think of anything else. I think I'm going crazy. I dream about "ressies" and "TTAPs" and "Golden Mickeys".

I haven't booked our return flight yet. Should we spend an extra day in Florida or come straight home? If we stay, where? DVC points or cash? If we come straight home should we book the earlier flight with a plane change in RDU or take the later, nonstop flight? DCL transfers or Happy Limo?

How are we going to get DS potty trained in time? Threats, bribes and beatings haven't worked! Is DD responsible enough for sign in / out privileges? Should we get her hair braided? How many braids???

All the wonderful tips on DIS are running together. What if I forget to pack duct tape, clothes pins, tin foil, gummy worms, kaleidoscope, etc, etc, etc???

Dramamine or Bonine?

Massage? Cabana or spa?

Excursions or free-wheelin'?

Banana boat or Parasailing?

Straw market or........no, never mind. I've READ about the straw market.

Can the Pinocchio's pizza be as good as Brothers in Cinnaminson?? Nah, not possible. Not even Disney could pull that off. But is it at least edible for a pizza snob like me?

What if some ******* on the upwind adjoining verandah smokes? That'd REALLY bother me.

When, oh WHEN will the tag fairy visit me???

Should I buy pirate costumes for the kids? Semi-formal wear for the adults?

Do I dare miss a meal in the dining room in favor of room service?

Am I going to have any money at all remaining at the end of this trip?

All rhetorical questions, to be sure. But I never had this much trouble planning the annual ski trip. I had considered rebooking while on board but now I realize it's too stressful!

By the way, a great big thank you to Corryn and Hygiene99. Thank you all for the pointers and thanks for letting me vent. I can see that I'm in need of some serious psychiatric help, but I'll wait until after April 7 to get it.

Wow. Way too much planning for me. The only planning I've done was to book my Captain Marvins excursion. Oh wait, I did plan to have the Mickey bar my first opportunity. Does that count? Life is too short. I have too many responsibilities here in my day-to-day. I'm just going to enjoy myself.

Enjoy your planning. Sounds like you've got it all together :crazy: . HAVE FUN!!!!

Kim

First off..sounds like you are going on the 3 or 4 day cruise.

I take dramaine the morning we are heading to the port..never need it again the whole trip.

Massage, doesn't matter. either way it will fill wonderful, so pick a date, time and be ready when you enter the massage line so you don't hold anyone else up.

In Nassau, we did the 2 hour historical city tour..it was excellent. Then we spent the rest of the day on our own..which was also excellent. We did the tour right after the ship docked, then got a lunch recommendation from the tour guide (Conch Fritters Restaurant). It is pretty much right across the street (kitty corner) from the straw market and it is wonderful. Great food, very laid back and relaxing. We hit the straw market, senor frogs, hard rock, the pharmacy for post cards and stamps and mailed them at the mailbox on the street not far from there. We of course hit a couple of liquor stores, back to the straw market (lots of fun..lol). We had snack at the filipino restaurant right beside the straw market before heading back on the ship. It was a great day and we wished we could have stayed longer.

Pizza is edible. No pizza in any town is ever as good as the your favorite pizza from whatever town. You take it for what it is and enjoy it.

Semi-Formal wear..definately not needed. The only dress-up clothing you would need, jacket for hubby and dress or nice pant suit for you would be if you are eating at Palo. Other than that...you are good to go with nice pants/skirt and tops or casual dress for dinner.

On our 3 day..we only ate one meal in the dining room..loved the room service.

Any money left..lol...well, probably not..lol.

I understand COMPLETELY what you're talking about :rotfl:

My husband thinks I'm anut when I start elaborating on all of the possibilities....He thinks i need serious THERAPY :teeth:

But then again thanks to all this planning and thinking, we had a wonderful cruise last december.

I say when you invest in a vacation, everything's goota be perfect. I wish I could just plan on the weather and calm seas :umbrella: That is not an option and the only thing out of my control beleive me. I say better well prepared than not at all....It is fun to do all this research and preparation and it kind of creates a little magic just knowing the day will come soon...

Now if only I could find a cure for the Disney blues that I get for the weeks that follow the cruise/trip.....aside from planning another trip any tips??????? :wave2:

I don't know how old your son is and when you go on your cruise, but I wouldn't worry too much about the potty training - those little guys have a mind of their own and if he doesn't want to, he won't! But don't worry, he will still have so, so much fun! My son is barely 2 years old and we just got back from the 1/30-2-3 Wonder and he had a blast running around and getting into stuff. There was never a time when he was looking for something to do.

We went home the same day the cruise came back. With our 2 young kids, we were ready to get back home.

As for the tin foil (what the heck is that for?!?), duct tape and clothes pins - we only found a use for the clothes pins to keep the curtains closed, but we honestly would have been fine without it.

Have you been on a cruise before? Do you know for sure you will need Dramamine or Bonine? My kids had never been on a cruise, but did fine with the motion of the sea.

We did not do any excursions and still had a great time, but I can see where having a structured activity would be nice.

I say go to the dining rooms for dinner AND order room service later at night, that's what I did most of the time, it was GREAT!!

Have a wonderful trip, you will never forget it - BUT don't worry yourself about it!

Julie

p.s. No, you will not have any money left after the trip is over, especially if you visit Shutters...

Hmmm, I don't know you, you don't know me but figured this would be "fun". Since it is stressing you out to make all these decisions (information overload) I will make them ALL for you. That's right, me . . . . a fellow DISer you've never met. That way if anything works out not the way you wanted, I am completely 100% totally to blame (not financially responsible of course, but gives you somewhere to vent your anger)

1) Spend an extra day in Florida.
2) Stay on property. Using DVC points. Stay somewhere you haven't tried before. How about the Yacht or Beach Club?
3) Flight time not needed right away, but get as much enjoyment out of the Disney World stay as you can (even if you don't even go to the parks)
4) Use Happy Limo --- leave the driving to them, then it's THEIR fault

5) Potty Training. Up the amount of threats, bribes, and beatings. Explain how lonely he will be when the whole family goes on a cruise but leaves him behind because he isn't potty trained.

Worst case? Not eligible to stay in kids' clubs by himself. You can go with him or arrange for babysitting. He will figure it out eventually.

6) Yes, your daughter is responsible enough to have sign in/out priviledges until she proves otherwise.

7) Yes, get her hair braided. 20 braids would look perfect. Besides, since you are already beating your son for not potty training quick enough, you might as well torture your daughter with people yanking on her hair really tight and making her cry -- makes for a great photo opportunity.

8) If you forget to pack any of your mentioned items you will either have to spend double or triple the amount to buy them on deck or in port. Or you will have to know the room numbers of fellow DISers more responsible than you who would be willing to lend/give you such items, perhaps for a small fee, perhaps they'll just give you the chiding "you should have known better look"

9) Both dramamine and bonine. Since dramamine makes you drowsy, it's nice to take just before bed or when you want to nap. Bonine works all day and for many people doesn't have drowsy side effects. Dramamine can force a nap for your children -- especially that darn son who won't be potty-trained. You'll show him, you'll just knock him out.

10) Massage. Why choose? Take both and evaluate for yourself which is better. Makes the decision easier next time. It's "field anaysis" I'm sure your husband will understand.

11) Go free wheelin this time. You've got enough fun planned with just torturing your kids!

12) So you've never done banana boats or parasails? If it's just you and hubby go for the parasail. If you think your daughter might be willing to try banana boating, go that route.

13) Pinocchio's pizza won't be as good as you are expecting but after you've gorged on breakfast, ice cream, assorted drinks etc, you may not even care. Try it, if you don't like it, make your kids eat it . . . torture, remember that's the theme of this cruise.

14) If there is a ******* smoking near YOUR verandah (and after all this is YOUR vacation) simply tell him he needs to stop. If this doesn't work, explain that your son isn't potty trained and that if said ******* doesn't stop, he'll be in charge of watching your son so that you and your hubby can go have some fun. If this theat still doesn't stop said *******, simply throw him overboard, you're entitled after all.

15) The tag fairy has "visited" you many times, just hasn't deemed you worthy yet of a remembrance of the visit. I'm thinking the week after you return from your cruise is looking good for you though.

16) Buy pirate costumes for the adults, after all, the kids are just your prisoners. Makes it more authentic when you make them walk the plank. Buy semi-formal wear for the kids. They probably won't like it, especially if you make sure it's too small, itchy, or the shoes don't fit right. If your husband dislikes dressing up, make sure to have him wear it too. It's all about you being the Queen of the house and demanding whatever you like of your subjects.

17) Dare to miss a meal, live dangerously. Or better yet, go and enjoy a meal in the dining room early in the evening and then later order room service (or vice versa). It's your cruise, why settle for one?

18) No, no money left for you. As an incentive, know that if you have any money left over you are required to give it to me, for all this wonderful decision making I'm doing for you.

Well, there you have it! Don't you feel BETTER, knowing everything is all taken care of? If you need anything else, I'm here all day :dancer:

Thanks you guys! I am still laughing! :rotfl:
I needed the pick-me-up after watching the "Perfect Proposal" on TLC which was suppose to be about a couple going on the Magic and he proposes...well, after a half hour of their incesent giggling and nonsensical chatter (during the secret planning and traveling to the port), he proposes before the ship even leaves! I wanted to see more of the ship!!!! Disappointed!

oh, she said yes and they lived happily ever after...

So, thanks again for the laughter!

LOL :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
that was toooo funny!!!....i needed that laugh today

babsnabbs you are welcome to join our club, haha. All the obsessive planning only ended with an awesome experience for my family, no regrets here and nothing an extra ulcer pill won't help :rotfl:

I do think you should book another cruie while on board. You can always change the date, but at least get the $200.00 onboard credit.

OK...can someone please tell me what I need to start obsessively planning for our trip in early November? It would seriously ease my stress to have a list! I'm not so fun to be around when I'm list-less!

Enna

JC Butterfly-
You brought tears to my eyes, I was laughing so hard. :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

But I think you missed one very important part, which you might not be in a position to make a decison on anyway. The tag fairy, when is she going to tag the OP (or me for that matter)? Do bribes work, is there a favorite charity, or slush fund?

babsnabbs said:
I never thought I had the obsessive compulsive planning disorder like Faireygod mother or pfishgirl, but JEEZ! This cruise planning is killing me. I can't think of anything else. I think I'm going crazy. I dream about "ressies" and "TTAPs" and "Golden Mickeys".

I haven't booked our return flight yet. Should we spend an extra day in Florida or come straight home? If we stay, where? DVC points or cash? If we come straight home should we book the earlier flight with a plane change in RDU or take the later, nonstop flight? DCL transfers or Happy Limo?

How are we going to get DS potty trained in time? Threats, bribes and beatings haven't worked! Is DD responsible enough for sign in / out privileges? Should we get her hair braided? How many braids???

All the wonderful tips on DIS are running together. What if I forget to pack duct tape, clothes pins, tin foil, gummy worms, kaleidoscope, etc, etc, etc???

Dramamine or Bonine?

Massage? Cabana or spa?

Excursions or free-wheelin'?

Banana boat or Parasailing?

Straw market or........no, never mind. I've READ about the straw market.

Can the Pinocchio's pizza be as good as Brothers in Cinnaminson?? Nah, not possible. Not even Disney could pull that off. But is it at least edible for a pizza snob like me?

What if some ******* on the upwind adjoining verandah smokes? That'd REALLY bother me.

When, oh WHEN will the tag fairy visit me???

Should I buy pirate costumes for the kids? Semi-formal wear for the adults?

Do I dare miss a meal in the dining room in favor of room service?

Am I going to have any money at all remaining at the end of this trip?

All rhetorical questions, to be sure. But I never had this much trouble planning the annual ski trip. I had considered rebooking while on board but now I realize it's too stressful!

By the way, a great big thank you to Corryn and Hygiene99. Thank you all for the pointers and thanks for letting me vent. I can see that I'm in need of some serious psychiatric help, but I'll wait until after April 7 to get it.

I have been a planning fool for the last 6 months. I got every website memorized, every book read, copies of every map I could get my hands on yada yada yada.

Finally, I am only waiting on Uncle Sam so I can pay for our (me and DS 12) very first REAL vacation (and WDW experience). We are going to spend 3 days at WDW, 3 days on the Wonder and 3 days at Universal. The whole vacation is going to cost me a little less than $3000.

I am so excited!! Unfortunately, Uncle Sam says I have to wait until a week from today to pay for it all! lol

JC Butterfly...OMG...what a hoot!! I love it!! I'll be sure to send you my list of ??'s a few weeks before I cruise!! I am NOT a decision maker at all....I need direction! You are just the person for me...so decisive and you have such wonderful answers!!! :rotfl: :rotfl2: ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter