"Going Columbine" - please stop using this phrase

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was not intending to make a comparison between "going Columbine" and the 4 examples of how words have consequences. I was attempting to dispel several previous posts that said words lack consequences or meaning.

You and anyone else are free to disagree with me on whether "going Columbine" is offensive. However, I will not back down from words do mean something and the words we say do impact others.

I have a few words and some phases for you:
Witch hunt: You decided to make a conscious choice to shame this girl publicly and make her out to be a careless, irresponsible and insensitive to people's feelings. She could lose her Job because you started stirring the political correctness pot and started now saying people get fired over this in the work place. You brought this up thousands of Dissers instead of addressing this in private with an e-mail to Pete, expressing your displeasure over the offensive statement. This was a mistake, not something that was attended to do you harm, a mistake.... I'm sure you or anybody else are not without mistakes, maybe even worse than which this young lady did. Aren't you glad no one went and used that to write what horrible thing you or anyone else has done and we could all read and comment on how horrible it may have been... No that would be hard on anyone and embarrassing.

Actions speak loader than words:
Do you know this young women personally, do you know the good she has done in her life, people she has helped? Pete obviously picked her because her character is good. So you know you really don't know anything about her but for one small unfortunate nervous statement. Very judgmental and careless, which I find much more offensive considering you really started up some people on their self righteous band wagons... The response some people have on here which are overboard for a bad play on words used for a cheap laugh. Guess what, you could of just not of laughed, there ya go. Could of raised an eyebrow like I did and said, poor girl, she is completely a bag of nerves. BTW, she said was very nervous in the beginning of the show...

One more thought: The Columbine shooting was a national tragedy. Hopefully the world learned something and we can make it better for our children....
Here's a start how to do that:
Perhaps show compassion instead of judgement: She was very nervous and it was her first day. Yes be compassionate towards her because that makes us human. Those boys that day lacked compassion...
Forgiveness: We can teach that if we give people a chance they usually can reflect and ask for forgiveness, perhaps could have handled this privately to Pete in an email or private messaged him on facebook or waited for a response from her on air today.

I'll leave you all with this word "Forgiveness", it's mentioned many times in our bible. Maybe some of you should pick it up again and see judgement of others isn't something none of us should partake in, to be able to judge another, your whole life must be spotless, and no on here life is spot less, mine included... It would have been so much nicer for you I think if you waited for Jenni lyn to personally apologize on her own without the mob mentality insisting she does. That is why I choose to forgive, life is full of beautiful surprises even waiting patiently on an apology from a young girl who had time to reflect on her own without being shamed into. I would rather have that apology than one you'll never know if it was forced due to losing her job or true reflection.My heart that day said forgive her and wait for an apology and don't hurt her the way she may of hurt you with words in an open public forum. Words do hurt, and not just the politically incorrect ones. Hope everyone just stops posting about this and realize she is a person with feelings too that can get hurt.

This thread reminds me of a quote I often come across a quote that says something to the effect of "love means never having to say you're sorry." It's one that I always remember, because it is so starkly different than the value I use in my personal relationships - which sounds more like "love means having to say you're sorry all the time." While it is often a test of my patience, I try to extend that sentiments to strangers who feel I have wronged them; I try to remember that not everyone thinks or feels in the same ways, and thought I may disagree, I try not to minimize their thoughts or feelings. In full disclosure, I'm really not perfect at doing this.

For many years I operated under the pretense that if I wasn't wrong, I don't need to apologize. But I find that there are few things in life that can be labeled as "right" or "wrong" with true and thoughtful certainty. I also find that choosing kindness, especially when kindness is not easy, brings me peace and contentment much faster than standing my ground because I felt I was right.

For the record, I'm not saying that JL should apologize, it's mostly just a thought I've had in response to this thread. I think the situation with JL is unique from one that most of us would have, as she is publicly representing an organization with their own values to reinforce. I'm curious to see if it's mentioned in today's podcast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

du-sidebar-show-notes

ORLANDO SHOW

UNIVERSAL SHOW

CONNECTING WITH WALT

DREAMS SHOW

DISNEYLAND SHOW

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter