Give me the low down on the fast pass situation...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sleepyhappyandgrumpy

Mouseketeer
Hey all!
Last year was our first trip to Disney. We loved the fast passes. I've heard that they are now enforcing the return times - how strict is this? Also - has anyone heard how that new fast pass system is working in trial? What's the word on when it will be available for everyone?
Thanks for the info!! :)

Yes, they are definitely enforcing the return times on fast passes. Can't help with the other part of your question.

The only time I personally have experienced them not being strict on FastPass return times was once at Space Mountain. I returned at the correct time to use my FastPass, but the ride was down. I asked if I could use the FastPass later that day, and they said that would be fine.

Sleepyhappyandgrumpy said:
Hey all!
Last year was our first trip to Disney. We loved the fast passes. I've heard that they are now enforcing the return times - how strict is this? Also - has anyone heard how that new fast pass system is working in trial? What's the word on when it will be available for everyone?
Thanks for the info!! :)

Completely strict. There is almost no reliable info on the rumored FP+ system--when, what, where, who, nor why.

Hey all!
Thanks for the info!!
:)
~FastPass enforcement is very strict, but nowhere as bad as I thought it would be & and the side effects have been mild, if not positive. It appears that Disney has increased the amount of fastpasses since the enforcement and I've noticed more fastpasses available later in the day than ever before! :goodvibes

~I am so excited about FP+! All of the reviews that I read were remarkably good! Hopefully, we will hear more about this, among other things, during Disney's "What's Next" presentation on Dec 7th. I hope FP+ will be ready by the time the Seven Dwarves Mine Train is complete. Hang in there!!! :goodvibes

I agree that enforcement is very strict. I don't know if this is directly related but on our recent trip, several fastpass lines were very long. The fastpass line for the safari extended out into the African village and required several CMs to keep the line straight. It took about 20 minutes to get through

Melodious said:
I agree that enforcement is very strict. I don't know if this is directly related but on our recent trip, several fastpass lines were very long. The fastpass line for the safari extended out into the African village and required several CMs to keep the line straight. It took about 20 minutes to get through

It was weird , our recent trip the Space Mountain FastPass line was longer!!!! BUT the FastPass line moved quicker! Saw the same thing in TSM and TM.
Weird!

This is great news. Before when they weren't enforcing the return times we would often find that many of the attraction FPs had run out before we reached that part of the park.

It was weird , our recent trip the Space Mountain FastPass line was longer!!!! BUT the FastPass line moved quicker! Saw the same thing in TSM and TM.
Weird!

This is very much consistent with the theory that they have added more FP's into the mix in anticipation of taking them back out for FP+.

There have also been stories reported here about standby lines moving much more slowly than before, which would also be consistent with them adding more FP's into the mix.

If true, instead of being a FP, it really seems more like "appointment riding" to me.

I would rely more on wait time numbers from people who have a reason to be checking them, like the people who put out crowd calendars. It is just too easy to feel like the lines are moving slower when you're standing in them.

What is FP+?

Or until it is announced is it just speculation as to what it is?

Until it is announced it is just speculation as to what it is.

The principle aspect is that guests (and we don't know WHICH guests) can
pre-choose which attractions (and we don't know HOW MANY attractions)
in advance (and we don't know HOW FAR in advance) for which
they have a FP (and we don't know HOW MANY FP's can be pre-arranged.)

Per day?
Per trip?
Per person?
Will the FP's only work for a particular person in a group? (Likely.)
Will the pre-chosen FP's reduce the number of "regular" FP's available per day? (Likely.)

We can guess a lot of varied situations.

They are strict on the return times. We were there last month and I can say that I dont like the way it works now. We found ourselves crisscrossing the parks to use FP, or waiting for a long time to ride something (when the FP would be good) so we didnt have to leave an area.
For example...we got a FP for Soarin upon entering Epcot. Went over to ride Nemo (which was down) so went into Turtle Talk. Went back over to ride Living with the Land (just to kill time until the FP for Soarin was ready) and the line for LWTL was 45 mins!!! I dont think I have ever seen a wait like that for this ride. We opted to sit and wait for our FP time to come up (about 35 mins) as there was no other ride around and we didnt want to leave and come back. We were heading to the WS afterwards.
I really LOVED being able to use the FP's later in the day:goodvibes

I definitely complained about the new fastpass policy because we were a save your fastpasses until the end of the day family. Turns out I actually like the new system because many times you can get a fastpass with the return time just an hour or two later. That means, you mess around close by and then return to use the fastpass. I also see fastpasses available for most of the day except for the most popular of the popular rides.

Robo,

Thanks for your answer...ah..good old speculation!

Is it also speculation as to whether there will be a FP+ program at all? is this a program that Disney has said is coming, or just something tossed around on these boards?

Thanks!!!

Completely strict. There is almost no reliable info on the rumored FP+ system--when, what, where, who, nor why.

Ditto. The only exception to the time restriction is if a ride goes down during your return time, they will usually allow it to be used at a later time.

Is it also speculation as to whether there will be a FP+ program at all? is this a program that Disney has said is coming, or just something tossed around on these boards?

Disney has said it was coming. They have been testing it.

Robo,

Thanks for your answer...ah..good old speculation!

Thanks!!!

Disney has said it was coming. They have been testing it.
They've installed equipment and have run at least one test with actual resort guests. I don't think there's any doubt that something is coming.

Until it is announced it is just speculation as to what it is.

The principle aspect is that guests (and we don't know WHICH guests) can
pre-choose which attractions (and we don't know HOW MANY attractions)
in advance (and we don't know HOW FAR in advance) for which
they have a FP (and we don't know HOW MANY FP's can be pre-arranged.)

Per day?
Per trip?
Per person?
Will the FP's only work for a particular person in a group? (Likely.)
Will the pre-chosen FP's reduce the number of "regular" FP's available per day? (Likely.)

We can guess a lot of varied situations.

You also forgot the other big question: Will there be a "premium" FastPass option that allows those who are willing to pay a fee to get additional or "better" FastPasses?

As usual, the strictness of the fast pass enforcement varies with each cast member.

Two examples from my trip last week:

1: At MK, used a fast pass over an hour after it's expiration. No problem at all.

2. At DHS, got a FP for Toy Story first thing, so the next available time for me to get a FP was 10:50. I arrived at Star Tours at 10:40 to wait for my FP. I explained to the CM, that I was trying to make it the 11am show of Lights, Motors, Action, and asked if I can get the FP any earlier than 10:50. His answer was no, and said I would have to wait. About two minutes later, he was replaced with a new CM, who then asked me what I was waiting for. I explained the same thing to the new CM, and he gave me 2 rider swap passes(which work just like FP, except they don't expire) so I didn't have to wait.

So, it very much depends on the CM collecting the fast passes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter