Girls Only Cocktail Sipping, Double Dipping Trip Report - COMPLETED...

I so want to be at Serenity Bay right now, it so relaxing, Rock N Roller Wonder LOL

Thanks for getting my feeble attempt at humour - I shall of course be entering in the next season of DISers Got Talent... :rotfl2: :lmao: :rotfl2:

Thank goodness the waiter mistook her, rather than almost telling her she was fat :rotfl:

OMG those waves sound horrid, I would have been feeling sick for sure :rotfl2:

I did hear tales of heave ho horror!!! We were mid-ship so not as bad as other areas...

one of the lovely little shotglass servings of tiramisui

OMG Palo Tiramisu - heaven !! ::yes::

An obliging waiter kept us in Konk Koolers and I really think they are my fave cocktail of the trip - what wouldn't I give for one right now...? :cloud9:

Oh, an icy, rummy, Konk Kooler - Mmmm

Cocktail Count: 18!!!! :woohoo:

Now that's more like it :thumbsup2

I'm so pleased that you were able to enjoy the 2nd stop at Castaway Cay, it sounds like you had a perfect day (apart from the dreaded packing :()

I am sooooooooo looking forward to Palo Brunch followed by CC - note to self, get some of those double dip pins

Thanks again Karen :thumbsup2

Thanks for the preview Karen! 77 days until I cruise!

Melissa

IMO, a Disney cruise is ideal for less Disney-obsessed people, Claire! :thumbsup2 There's just so much to do that doesn't revolve around the Mickey and the gang. If your DH likes good food, great service and relaxing - cruising with the Mouse is for him! :goodvibes

Thanks Karen....I will remember this little bit of advice for a month or two! DH is taking me to DLRP for my birthday next week and I've also got the 2 weeks booked for December...so I am biding my time before I put pressure on for a cruise/WDW trip for next year! :rotfl2:

Thanks for the preview Karen! 77 days until I cruise!

Melissa

My pleasure, Melissa!!! :goodvibes Only 9 weeks till we're in your little bit of Disney heaven... :thumbsup2

Thanks Karen....I will remember this little bit of advice for a month or two! DH is taking me to DLRP for my birthday next week and I've also got the 2 weeks booked for December...so I am biding my time before I put pressure on for a cruise/WDW trip for next year! :rotfl2:

Good idea, Claire! Have a great time in DLRP - it's been a while since we've been but I'm definitely planning a long weekend there next year... :woohoo:

Thursday May 15th:
The alarm awoke Richard and I at 7.30am. I padded around to Sophie's room and knocked at her door. She was up already and in the bathroom - good girl! Richard swiftly showered, shaved and shoved off in search of proper coffee from Cove Cafe. My turn to get ready and enjoy the exquisite en-suite for a final time...

By 8.30am, all three of us were gathered in the living area and taking a moment to give the suite one last lingering look around. Everything leftover from packing had been shoved in a large holdall and we really were ready to bid Roy a final goodbye... :sad:

Outside, I realised the door was still decorated with my magnetic masterpieces so I slipped them into a side pocket of the holdall as Richard closed the door for the last time and we walked towards the stairs on our way to disembark...

There was quite a queue to leave the Wonder and we stood in line for the best part of fifteen minutes before starting to shuffle forwards. We let a porter collect our Tinkerbell-tagged luggage as we stood in another line for immigration back into the USA. It didn't take long and once we were through, we headed for the car and a few minutes later were back on the road, returning to Orlando. So there we were, with the Wonder behind us, and a few hours to kill before returning the car and ourselves to Orlando International. Fortunately we had a plan. First stop IHOP and a slap-up brekkie! In less than an hour, we were pulling into the car park of one of the International House of Pancakes emporiums. There was a short wait to be seated but we didn't mind - DH and I knew the pancakes were worth it! Sophie and I both chose omelettes with side orders of pancakes. Richard had a more traditional breakfast platter with swedish crepes. And the coffee kept coming! Our food was fresh, flavoursome, fantastic and I wish I was there right now!!! This was Sophie's first IHOP experience and, suffice to say, it won't be her last! But we didn't want to dally as it was time to put the next part of our plan into action - a last minute shopping spree at Florida Mall! As we had our cases in the car, we decided to take advantage of valet parking which, it turned out, was free that day! What a great omen! :woohoo:

Sophie and I had previously put together a shopping list and we were raring to go... We walked through the Saks 5th Avenue entrance and headed straight for the Creme de la Mer counter as we both needed to stock up. Today Saks were doing a cool cashback offer - spend a certain amount and receive a voucher redeemable against future purchases. So I spent $500 and gave Sophie the $75 voucher for her to use against her la Mer purchases - brilliant!

Off to a flying start, it was time to split up - Richard and I were double teaming around the Mall whilst Sophie shopped solo! First stop for us - Abercrombie & Fitch as eldest DS Matty had requested a new hoodie. We successfully ticked the item off and swiftly acquired new work shoes for Richard, DVD box sets, the just-released Death Cab For Cutie album and promo T shirt, more Oakley sunnies, an MTV t-shirt for youngest DS Samuel before meeting up with Sophie at Sephora. We browsed the cosmetics whilst Richard sat outside on the phone to work - he was easing himself back in ready for his return the following morning... ;)

Once the spend-fest was finished we picked up the car from the valet and drove to quieter area where we parked up and re-packed the cases with our purchases. It was a very smooth operation and an excellent use of our time on that last day - there's every chance we'll be doing that again. :thumbsup2 But for now we had to move on to MCO! The car return was smooth and speedy. The hardest part was transporting our many cases to Virgin Atlantic's check-in but we managed it without too many slip ups. The queue was long but the Upper Class line was empty so we staggered forward, glad to get rid of our cumbersome cases... We were quickly checked in and received our pre-booked seats of 6A/K and 7A - yay! :yay: I love that moment when, having deposited your luggage, you turn away from check-in, with just hand luggage and boarding passes in hand - I always feel so liberated! :goodvibes

Now it was time to run amok in the airport shops before braving security and settling down in the Delta Lounge with a glass of wine and a good book. Which is exactly what we did! The lounge was PACKED but after a short while an internal US flight to Chicago was called and the throng thinned somewhat. We snagged a sofa and comfy chair towards the back of the lounge and relaxed for a couple of hours, just chatting, reading and people watching - it was a wonderful way to wind down before the flight. Which was delayed as usual. Eventually we were called and gathered our bags together before strolling to the gate. We boarded quickly and were soon sitting in our seats, sipping a Bellini or two and toasting the fabulous holiday that was so nearly over. Richard and Sophie changed into their sleepsuits and snuggled down soon after the meal. They wanted to catch as much shut eye as possible before going to work once we landed. I read my book before feeling a little tired and converted the bed intending just to rest my eyes for a while. I awoke to the sounds of breakfast - seems I'd been in the land of Nod for over 5 hours and we were now about to begin our descent! I quickly quaffed a couple of cups of tea, freshened up in the bathroom and felt ready for a day back in Britain...

Landing was uneventful and immigration was deserted. So far, so good. The baggage claim carousel number popped up and we were soon taking possession of a couple of our cases. Then we waited... And we waited... Oh how we waited!!! Slowly, piece by piece, our remaining bags trickled through and I could tell Sophie was getting more than a little stressed as one of the reasons she and DH like to fly Upper Class is the speed of baggage reclaim. Eventually, all the cases were accounted for and we pushed a couple of laden trolleys through to the car park. I like to park in short stay if possible and have discovered that, by pre-booking/pre-paying well in advance, you can do this for around half price! :thumbsup2 So DH's monster truck was nearby and we were soon on the road, hitting rush hour on the M23! What a welcome home!

As Richard had forgotten to pre-book a car to take him to work, he decided to drop me home, freshen up, then drive himself and Sophie up to Canary Wharf. And that's just what they did! I know they arrived just before 10.30am and spent the day getting back into the swing of things. In fact, Sophie went on to go out with her friends that evening whilst DH returned home looking no more tired than usual for a Friday...

So our holiday was well and truly over but the memories remain. One of the reasons I love writing a trip report is it gives me the opportunity re-live so many of the magical moments that make our family time together so special. This particular WDW/DCL party will stay will us for a long time. It was fab to be solely Sophie's Ma & Pa for once - she may be a 25 year old grown woman with a mortgage who left home six years ago but she's still our delightful daughter and we adore her! :love:

And now it's time to terminate another Taylor travelogue. Goodbye, dear reader. Hope to hang out with you again soon... :wave2:

what an amazing trip. thank you for sharing in such animated detail- you sure can tel 'em. :thumbsup2 I would love to do a cruise. :boat: it all looked amazing.

Thanks for sharing your fab report with us Karen. I was so looking forward to hearing all about the first double dip cruise, the Roy Disney suite and the surprise of your hubby turning up too :thumbsup2

Thanks again for getting the ships Navigators for me (they're looking a bit worn now :rotfl: )

I look forward to hearing about your next trip

Thank you for sharing :) I hope you are doing a trippie for the girlie weekend LOL!!! ;)

Thank you for sharing your wonderful holiday with us, I thoroughly enjoyed every day of it ..... was a little disappointed with PE last year but have always vowed to travel UC when the kids are a little older! Certainly seems worth it for 5 hours sleep.

Looks like your next trip's much the same time as ours so might see you there, hadn't planned to do much Disney this time but that said, have just purchased 14 day Ultimate's so may be at the DIS meet after all.

Sharon

This was yet another fantastic trip and we were lucky enough to enjoy an absolute medley of memorable experiences. Having had time to reflect on our vacation, I would like to share my thoughts on a couple of the elements, namely our DVC and DCL accommodation...

DVC...
We bought our points early last year and have three home resorts - SSR, AKV and VWL. This was our first time staying at VWL as well as Sophie and Richard's first time staying in any DVC accommodation. We opted for a one bedroom villa. Before buying our points, we had always stayed in the WDW on-site deluxe resorts and particularly enjoyed concierge level. TBH we had our doubts that DVC would feel as good as that but, from a financial point of view and given the great exchange rate, we just couldn't argue with the logic of purchasing points as a way of pre-paying for future holidays.

I'd already been amazed at the quality and spaciousness of the 1 bed villa at SSR last December so was interested in how this older resort would feel. Needless to say, it felt absolutely fine and, once again, we appreciated the extra space and added amenities of the accommodation. Given our love of the concierge lounge in other WDW resorts, Sophie and I decided to create our own for the duration of the stay. We purchased wine and after-dinner liqueurs as well as snack items which we kept in the kitchen area. This worked brilliantly and we will definitely repeat this in future. We also enjoyed the freedom of not having daily maid service as we were perfectly able to keep the place tidy and didn't feel awkward if we decided to hang out in the room...

The Owners Locker big purple box will be a wonderful addition to our future DVC vacations and I absolutely recommend the service to others who visit WDW regularly. Firstly, the drop-off and pick-up procedure is simplicity itself and secondly, the box is big enough for lots of essentials. We decided to add items that would further upgrade our DVC experience - so we bought a couple of bathrobes as I really miss not having those. I think we may add a single airbed on our next trip as well as larger, more cost effective, bottles of liqueurs... ;)

We're staying at the BWV in October and at AKV next Easter and are really looking forward to trying other resorts. Becoming DVC members has made excellent financial sense for us - when we compared the initial outlay to the predicted cost of future vacations, we calculated we should have broken even the end of 2011. So it appeals to our heads as well as our hearts. My husband's reaction to VWL/DVC has been equally positive - and he's the sensible one! In fact, he's eager to buy additional points at the Contemporary resort if/when that's announced! :goodvibes

DCL...
If shelling out for DVC points continues to make sense to Richard and I, not so the expense of the Category One suite we were able to book for this cruise. I can definitely say this is a vacation experience we won't indulge in again. The suite itself was beautiful but the cramped veranda really let the overall quality feel down. Sometimes its not so much length as width that really matters. ;) In addition, the extra plush furnishings and deep-piled carpets seemed to aggravate my sinuses! I was a lotta fun to have around on this trip, I can tell you... As far as the veranda was concerned, even tho' we could just about fit out there, we were unable to spend much time enjoying it as our neighbours smoked. They weren't chain-smokers by any means but even the slightest puff proved very unpleasant in the enclosed veranda space wherever we sat - and that area was the width of three staterooms! I'm no anti-smoking evangelist BUT it proved frustrating that we couldn't enjoy the outside space...

So if we wouldn't rebook the Cat 1, where would we choose to stay? Without a shadow of a doubt, I would try and get one of the Cat 3 suites that are at the back of the ship. These are set aside for disabled cruisers but sometimes become available as the sail date nears. The verandas are spacious and open so are a little lacking in privacy from Topsiders/Beach Blanket Buffet which is directly above but that's really the only downside as far as I'm concerned. We sailed in one on the Magic last September and will be repeating the experience this August. If unable to snag one of those, then I'd suggest we simply settle for a lower category altogether, maybe forking out for two adjacent rooms if one or more of our offspring were travelling with us. The limited cruise concierge facilities aren't really worth the extra cash as far as we're concerned and I would be more than happy with a smaller stateroom - there's so much going on that, skin flare-ups notwithstanding :faint: , you don't tend to spend much time in your room...

I apologise if the above sounds a little negative as in truth I am delighted we were able to book the Cat 1 with greater ease than we'd ever imagined! It was definitely an experience and I'm happy to know that I don't have to save our $$$ to do it again...

what an amazing trip. thank you for sharing in such animated detail- you sure can tel 'em. :thumbsup2 I would love to do a cruise. :boat: it all looked amazing.

Glad you enjoyed it! :thumbsup2

Thanks for sharing your fab report with us Karen. I was so looking forward to hearing all about the first double dip cruise, the Roy Disney suite and the surprise of your hubby turning up too :thumbsup2

Thanks again for getting the ships Navigators for me (they're looking a bit worn now :rotfl: )

I look forward to hearing about your next trip

You are very welcome, Mandy! I can't wait to hear about your Double Dip with the Bahama Mamas in August... :goodvibes

Thank you for sharing :) I hope you are doing a trippie for the girlie weekend LOL!!! ;)

I doubt I'll be able to remember any of the details, Kaylee! :rotfl2: :lmao: :rotfl2:

Thank you for sharing your wonderful holiday with us, I thoroughly enjoyed every day of it ..... was a little disappointed with PE last year but have always vowed to travel UC when the kids are a little older! Certainly seems worth it for 5 hours sleep.

Hi Sharon! I'm happy you had fun reading my trippie. I do love travelling UC - we compromise on other things in order to afford it and I never regret it. One of the plus points is that I find that none of us suffer with jetlag anymore...

Looks like your next trip's much the same time as ours so might see you there, hadn't planned to do much Disney this time but that said, have just purchased 14 day Ultimate's so may be at the DIS meet after all...

Our next trip is in August but we're hitting the West Coast this year - cruising the Mexican Riviera with DCL as well as spending a week in Disneyland... :cloud9:

Have a fab time in WDW and enjoy the DIS meet... :thumbsup2

A brilliant report Karen - I really enjoyed reading it. Thanks so much for writing such a detailed, informative trippie

Can't wait for you to go again so you can do another!

Tammy

Thanks very much for the report Karen, I enjoyed reading it enormously.
It's funny, but we spent the evening with Deb and Matt last night and we were saying how small the balcony on your suite looked. Disney have certainly missed a trick there. It was still interesting to read about it and see the photos.

Kev

Really enjoyed your report - I would like to do UC one day - I might just have to find out what it will cost for my next trip:rotfl:

fantastic trip report,really enjoyed reading:goodvibes

Thanks for another great TR Karen, it was really interesting hearing your views on the stateroom, you would have thought that one of the best bits about the cat 1 should be the balcony :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter