gift card fail

I wonder if this depends on location. Our Target is across the street from Walmart and about a block from Costco. Target might be priced 5.99 while Walmart is 5.88, for example, but I can still do better at Target with my red card discount. And with Target's frequent "buy three and get a $10 gift card" on household items, I can beat Costco.

i've run the numbers multiple times, and when target offers their buy 3/$10 gift card offer esp. on paper towels and toilet paper they beat everyone's prices hands down. for that reason i only buy it when they have it on that sale and do it home delivery so i'm saving on gas as well. another item i have them deliver is cat litter. the price is pretty much the same elsewhere but instead of ME schlepping the 30 pound container into the cart/into the car/out of the car i can have ups set it on the front porch and i just carry it in.

if i had 2k in gift cards i wanted to use up i would just default to target for anything they had that was less expensive/the same/more convenient to have home delivered for regular ongoing household products then deduct the amount i spent on the items from my household budget and set it aside as repayment of the 2k that was supposed to be used for vacation.

I wonder if this depends on location. Our Target is across the street from Walmart and about a block from Costco. Target might be priced 5.99 while Walmart is 5.88, for example, but I can still do better at Target with my red card discount. And with Target's frequent "buy three and get a $10 gift card" on household items, I can beat Costco.

When I’ve seen price comparisons, Target really isn’t that much more expensive, and often it’s the same price or less than the competition (especially, when you factor in the Red Card discount and gift card deals).

I think Target makes their extra money through impulse purchases on home decor and the like. Ours is near a competitor that might keep it in check.

Sometimes. I do this if I'm running low on something, and need it now. But if I wait until Costco has a sale, I can stock up and save substantially. For example, I'll wait until there's a sale on Tide powder, and buy two of the big boxes that will last me a few months until the next sale.

What if you sent an email to Target and told them the circumstances and could they refund you? I can't hurt to ask. maybe they will do $1000.

I would just use them to purchase every day household items like others have said. Keep track what you spend that put that amount aside so you will still have the $2000 for the trip.

can you pay off a target credit card with them?

Maybe apply for the Red credit card, buy Disney gift cards, PAy the Red card using the Target gift cards?

I've learned the hard way that if you pay for any part of your Target purchase with a gift card your ENTIRE refund will be on a gift card. $200 paid for with $5 gift card (rebate for beauty products) + $195 on Red Card...return any item/s from that purchase and your entire refund is on a gift card. So please don't buy something and think you'll get it refunded to your Red Card.

What a tough choice to make! My first choice would be to sell them online for minimal loss. Second, to use them for everyday household purchases. Good luck!
Didn't know this. This makes me wonder if they have this intent with giving out the $5 gift cards with certain purchases so often. That really works to their advantage.

Sometimes. I do this if I'm running low on something, and need it now. But if I wait until Costco has a sale, I can stock up and save substantially. For example, I'll wait until there's a sale on Tide powder, and buy two of the big boxes that will last me a few months until the next sale.

if you need something in a pinch and it's not on sale just remember to hold on to the costco receipt in case it goes on sale w/in the next 30 days. if it does just take the receipt to customer service and they will refund the difference (i check all my costco receipts against the following month's ad-never fails that something hasn't gone on sale).

that's a lot tied up at one store, but I would have to look at it like prepaid groceries. just but a Disney giftcard for 100 every time you spend 100 instore kinda pay yourself back We spend a few hundred on clothes and school supplies as well as 1-200 a week on groceries you will be surprised on how fast its spent

I wouldn't have a problem spending that much at Target over time so I would do what most here suggested.
I would buy all my household needs there and take the cash I would have spent elsewhere and put in the Disney fund envelope.
I would probably plan to do the bulk of my Christmas shopping there with those GCs so I would determine my budget, put the cards in a drawer and use the cash I would have spent on gifts and put it in the Disney envelope.
I have seen GCs sell for more than face value on ebay, it is usually at a time period when there is a code for buyers to get a discount or when ebay bucks are issued.

Like many others have said, I buy almost all our household stuff from Target (I find their prices lower than Kroger and about the same as Wal-Mart). So, I would just use it for household stuff and then put the money you would have been spending from your household budget into the vacation budget.

This is why I shy away from the "GF scenarios". I'm horrible at this GF stuff🤪:scared:. I wish I was as savy as you guys who do it and do it well. I would be sitting with $1000s of GF like the OP. But I LOVE TARGET and would have ZERO problems spending a couple of thousand dollars. If you're looking to give them away, I'll gladly take them off your hands. :rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

$2000 at Target? That's called a Wednesday night in my house :o

Like others, I would use them for daily things - food, cleaning, clothes, etc. And then use the money you would have used and put in your vacation account.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!