Getting set up for Day 1

mrsgthatsme

Mouseketeer
We are leaving for a very last minute trip to WDW on Monday. We have been to Disney several times, but not since the transition to Genie + and never without many months of planning! :) I am used to fast passes, so the time pressure of booking Genie+ the morning of and not being able to have my ducks in a row in advance makes me very nervous! Could you tell me what I need to have set up on the app to make sure I don't waste time on the first morning when I am trying to book LLs? I have watched some videos but am still not fully confident! We are staying at the Drury DS in case that impacts anything. We will be traveling with two teens, and they are already on my family list but I want to make sure we are all linked for reservation purposes. If they are on my friends and family list is that all I need to do, or is there something else I need to do to link us and allow me to reserve LLs for all of us? Will we all need to carry our phones to check into the parks/rides or just one person?

Also, do you recommend following Genie's touring plan for you, or do you go out on your own and just make your own agenda for the day? Thanks so much!

I would recommend reading the Everything Genie thread to help you with Genie. You should be fine for booking if you’re all linked but I would allow extra time the first morning to purchase G+ for all and ensuring you’re linked prior to 7AM. At 7 AM book you first attraction. You will not see the return times on the main G+ booking screen until about 7:15ish so just tap into the attraction you want to book at 7AM and next available booking time will be displayed.

VQ for GotG and Tron fill fast (within seconds). Book one of those first at 7AM (if you want that attraction) then your first G+ after that.

I would not recommend following the free Genie touring plan. It seems more designed to spread out crowds and will take you to least popular attractions. Design your own plan (or purchase Touring Plans) for a better plan of how to move around the park.

Definitely do NOT do the free Genie suggestions.

Some other things to prepare for:

Make sure you know your Disney log-in, because sometimes--and I cannot find a pattern here--the app will ask you to log in again just when you're in the midst of booking something.

Make sure that the credit card you want to use for purchasing G+ and ILL$ is associated with your MDE account. Mine is, but, nevertheless, sometimes it asks for my credit card again.

If everyone in your travel party has a smartphone, have everyone try at 7 a.m. for the attraction you most want and that's hardest to get. So make sure everyone in your travel party has MDE on their phone and that all of you are linked there too.

If all the tickets are in your account, then, yes, you can just use your phone, but it's mighty awkward and time-consuming. it's easier and faster if everyone has their own, or their own MagicBand. If you have MBs left over from a previous trip, it's likely they'll still work, assuming you don't want to purchase new ones.

Note that because of where you're staying, even though you can book your first G+ LL selection at 7 a.m., you cannot book ILL$ until the official park opening time of the park your ILL$ will be in.

One other thing to be prepared for: rope-dropping is different now because guests staying at Disney resorts have Early Theme Park Entry and will already have been at the park (any of the 4 parks) 1/2 hour before you can get in. Just something to keep in mind, in case, for example, you think RDing FoP would work out for you . . . because by the time you'd get there, the line will be looong.

And have fun! Last-minute WDW trips are great. Oh, and take care in the heat. I just got back on the 14th and even that week was excruciatingly hot.

Definitely do NOT do the free Genie suggestions.

Some other things to prepare for:

Make sure you know your Disney log-in, because sometimes--and I cannot find a pattern here--the app will ask you to log in again just when you're in the midst of booking something.

Make sure that the credit card you want to use for purchasing G+ and ILL$ is associated with your MDE account. Mine is, but, nevertheless, sometimes it asks for my credit card again.

If everyone in your travel party has a smartphone, have everyone try at 7 a.m. for the attraction you most want and that's hardest to get. So make sure everyone in your travel party has MDE on their phone and that all of you are linked there too.

If all the tickets are in your account, then, yes, you can just use your phone, but it's mighty awkward and time-consuming. it's easier and faster if everyone has their own, or their own MagicBand. If you have MBs left over from a previous trip, it's likely they'll still work, assuming you don't want to purchase new ones.

Note that because of where you're staying, even though you can book your first G+ LL selection at 7 a.m., you cannot book ILL$ until the official park opening time of the park your ILL$ will be in.

One other thing to be prepared for: rope-dropping is different now because guests staying at Disney resorts have Early Theme Park Entry and will already have been at the park (any of the 4 parks) 1/2 hour before you can get in. Just something to keep in mind, in case, for example, you think RDing FoP would work out for you . . . because by the time you'd get there, the line will be looong.

And have fun! Last-minute WDW trips are great. Oh, and take care in the heat. I just got back on the 14th and even that week was excruciatingly hot.

One small correction from this post.

Drury DS guests ARE eligible for ETPE but cannot purchase first ILL$ until park opening.

Genie is easier than you expect once you get the hang of it. If you can arrange it, I would start with animal kingdom, book Navi at 7 and buy FoP if it is in your budget. Even Navi won’t disappear immediately, and you will get some practice in. The next best park for LLs not disappearing in seconds is Magic Kingdom, but you also need to try for the Tron VQ if you want to ride it and not pay. You can also try for Tron at 1 pm if you are in the park.

Do you have any friends you trust who are familiar with Genie + and VQs? They could log in to your account from wherever they are and help with booking.

you can go through the my genie day set up and pick a few selections to be at the top when making genie + selections.

Today, set up your my Disney experience app and start looking at genie+ availability to get a feel for what sticks around later in the day.

Finally , Molly from Mammoth Club does and excellent job on YouTube videos explaining genie + and VQs. I would watch.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter