Gettin' Around Disney July 2021 Exercise Thread

Congratulations to ljcrochet for being the first team member to reach Trolley Car Tan and to PollyannaMom and BonnieF for reaching Skyliner Purple!

We already looked at the horse-drawn trolleys, but Disney parks also have at least two other types of trolleys.

At Disney California Adventure, there are the Red Car Trolleys, modeled after Pacific Electric Railway trolleys common in the LA area from 1887 to 1961. The Red Car Trolleys have four stops: Buena Vista Street near the entrance to DCA; Carthay Circle across from Carthay Circle Restaurant; Hollywood Boulevard near the Disney Animation Building; and Sunset Boulevard past the Hyperion Theater. Debuting in June 2012, the trolleys were the scene for the Red Car Trolley Newsboys show. In July 2019, that show closed and the trolleys were taken out of service, allegedly temporarily. (You can see a video of that show at the link.) The Disneyland website still marks them "Temporarily Unavailable," but for right now, the trolleys are only brought out for photo opportunities.

And at Tokyo DisneySea, there is the Electric Railway, an elevated trolley that runs between the American Waterfront and Port Discovery sections of the park. Here at the Tokyo Disney site, you can see a video from and of the Electric Railway.

Congratulations to Raya for turning Omnibus Orange and to me for turning Skyliner Purple!

The transportation system that most WDW guests are familiar with is the resort bus system, which connects the parks, the resorts, Disney Springs, and the water parks. Unless other transportation is offered (such as monorail or boat), you can take the buses to and from resorts and parks, to and from resorts and Disney Springs, and after 4 p.m., from parks to Disney Springs (pre-COVID, anyway). If you want to go resort-to-resort, though, you'll have to go to a park or Disney Springs and transfer.

WDW buses are ADA accessible and can carry two wheelchairs or scooters. The capacity of regular buses is about 70, but the articulated buses can hold over 130! Buses run from resorts from about 45 minutes to one hour before park open until about an hour after park close. And they run from Disney Springs until 2 a.m.!

Riding a bus from a WDW resort to MK lets (or forces) you to skip both the ferry and the monorail from the TTC. Starting in the late 1980s, the resort buses began to stop just to the side of the MK's gates instead of at the TTC. The bus stop area has since been expanded to accommodate the increasing number of resorts, and today no WDW resort buses use the TTC. (Other on-property resorts have their own buses that do still use the TTC. That includes Shades of Green, and since last fall, also the Swan and Dolphin.)

During COVID times, WDW resorts have been restricting visitors who don't have a reservation or a dining reservation from entering by car, so the bus system provides a way to resort hop.

The other familiar WDW bus is Disney's Magical Express, a complimentary service that will transport you between MCO (Orlando airport) and the WDW resorts. Sadly, in January 2021, Disney announced that Magical Express would not be provided for trips beginning on or after January 1, 2022. But the service is run by Mears Transportation, which already has announced it will be providing bus service to replace DME (of course, though, for a price).

Air Quality forced me indoors - so I tried a virtual running class from the Peloton app. 33 minutes long, and, uh...interesting. It's been 16 months since I took a class at a gym. I forgot how perky instructors are. Can we get a Disney class, where they say things like "okay, imagine it, they're ready to drop the rope, I want you to get to Slinky Dog Dash in three-two-one-RUN!"?

274/800

39 minutes walking outside. I should have expected it - the Haunted Mansion tshirt and jean shorts combo works great at 84/feels like 86. Will it be that cold in August though? doubtful. Honestly, prepping for Disney trips is my second favorite thing (going on Disney trips is my first favorite).

313/800

July 13 -- 32
July 14 -- 23
July 15 -- 10
July 16 -- 45
July 17 -- 17 (no excuse for this. Soccer tournament was canceled for DD and we were home all day as it rained none stop. We have a treadmill I should have gotten on)
July 18 -- 121

Total -- 826/1395

I am still ahead of my time. I need to average about 43 minutes a day. I do need to get more consistent though

Congratulations to Twilight Sparkle, piglet1979, and the TEAM for turning Skyliner Purple!

So, maybe you get to WDW and decide that the resort bus system just isn't working for you. Or you want to take a day trip to Universal Studios, Kennedy Space Center, or some other offsite location. You can rent a car, right on property! :car:

In normal times, Enterprise, Alamo, and National staff desks at the Car Care Center, located near the Magic Kingdom. The CCC offers a complimentary shuttle to and from your WDW resort hotel or the parks. Shuttle service can be scheduled with only an hour's notice in advance! In non-COVID times, other locations on WDW property also have car rentals, including the Hilton Buena Vista at Disney Springs (Avis), Doubletree at Disney Springs (Budget), and the Dolphin (Alamo). (The Dolphin Alamo desk has been closed, however, and folks are still waiting to see if it will reopen.)

If you already have your own vehicle, but are experiencing problems, you can find repair services at the CCC. And up to an hour after park closing, there is Car Care One, a mobile service unit, that provides basic roadside services such as limited towing, fuel, battery jump start, flat tire assistance, or winch out of mud.

7/16 40
7/17 12
7/18 17
7/19 38

If anyone does peloton workouts, I’m hitting my 150 ride today at 12:05 with jenn Sherman’s live class.
Air Quality forced me indoors - so I tried a virtual running class from the Peloton app. 33 minutes long, and, uh...interesting. It's been 16 months since I took a class at a gym. I forgot how perky instructors are. Can we get a Disney class, where they say things like "okay, imagine it, they're ready to drop the rope, I want you to get to Slinky Dog Dash in three-two-one-RUN!"?

274/800
I’m going to guess you did a Jess king class. I was loving the peloton treadmill boot camps but last one I did I had an issue with my balance so I’m kind of afraid to try another one.

If anyone does peloton workouts, I’m hitting my 150 ride today at 12:05 with jenn Sherman’s live class.

I’m going to guess you did a Jess king class. I was loving the peloton treadmill boot camps but last one I did I had an issue with my balance so I’m kind of afraid to try another one.

Wow LJ! Yes, you nailed it. I did a Jess King workout. The going sideways on the treadmill part was definitely a weird sensation for me. She's probably not going to be a favorite instructor. Congrats on your long streak of rides! I've got my first ride with Cody Rigsby tonight. :)

30 minutes today - trying to get back to a schedule after vacation. (315/500). Had a lovely time on CapeCod, despite the constant fog. My hair, not so much - lol! Did a good amount of walking up to Main St. and back each day - there was absolutely no parking! I've never seen such crowds there. One restaurant didn't have a reservation available until September😛 Just unreal!

Re: car rentals - we really liked the convenience of getting a car at the Dolphin - I hope they reopen. The rates were so much better than the airport or the CCC. We never went to Cape Canaveral or the coast - not sure how the tolls would work.

Honestly, prepping for Disney trips is my second favorite thing (going on Disney trips is my first favorite).
. Me, too! I just love the planning and looking forward to the trip! Our next trip is November - I'm so ready to go now!

I did not realize that I haven't updated at all this month. LOL. But I do have minutes to report!

July 1st - 60 minutes (swimming an basketball)
July 5th - 30 minutes (from walking at Six Flags over Texas. We were there for 3 hours, but spent the whole time in line)
July 7th - 60 minutes (swimming)
July 9th - 120 minutes (walking at Six Flags again, much less crowded so we actually were able to move around the park!)
July 10th - 40 minutes (walking at the Zoo)
July 13th - 60 minutes (swimming)
July 14th - 60 minutes (swimming)
July 16th - 60 minutes (swimming)
July 17th - 40 minutes (Chloe Ting and Grow With Jo)
July 19th - 10 minutes (walking)

That totals 540/760

July has been a fun month so far. We were visited by family and did some vacation-y things while they were here. Summer is my favorite time of year!

Last edited:
30 minutes today - trying to get back to a schedule after vacation. (315/500). Had a lovely time on CapeCod, despite the constant fog. My hair, not so much - lol! Did a good amount of walking up to Main St. and back each day - there was absolutely no parking! I've never seen such crowds there. One restaurant didn't have a reservation available until September😛 Just unreal!

Re: car rentals - we really liked the convenience of getting a car at the Dolphin - I hope they reopen. The rates were so much better than the airport or the CCC. We never went to Cape Canaveral or the coast - not sure how the tolls would work.

Wow, September! I hope the restaurants and shops are making up a bit for pandemic losses.

Regarding the tolls, the rental car we got in May had a transponder that you could pull out and use for tolls (for an extra charge, of course). We decided it was worth the convenience (we were visiting family before the WDW portion of the trip so were using toll roads quite a bit).

July has been a fin month so far. We were visited by family and did some vacation-y things while they were here. Summer is my favorite time of year!

Sounds like you are getting out and doing lots of fun stuff!

48 minutes - Starting to get nervous about our next trip home. The crowds look super crazy. Of course, if I cancel I'll never get to see the Happily Ever After Fireworks again -- so let's be honest, I'm going. :P

I guess we will never see HEA at all. We took a hiatus from WDW from May 2015 to October 2019 (visited DL instead), and then in October 2019 the only time we were at MK at night was for the Halloween party, which had its own fireworks. Then we were there last May, but no fireworks. Strange that they are permanently retiring the show after only a few years--I think Wishes lasted nearly 14 years?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter