Gettin' Around Disney July 2021 Exercise Thread

Congratulations to Raya and me for turning Boat Blue!

Back at the TTC, the other principal means of arriving at the MK is the monorail. There are two lines in the MK area: the Express Monorail, stopping only at the TTC and the MK, and the Resort Monorail, stopping at the Polynesian (once the stop has finished refurbishment and open again), the Grand Floridian, the MK, and the Contemporary.

On a separate line, the Monorail runs from the TTC to Epcot, ending the journey with a fun run over Epcot.

The WDW Monorail has 12 trains (Red, Coral, Orange, Gold, Yellow, Lime, Green, Blue, Silver, Black, Teal, and Peach), all Mark VI models Mark VI date back to 1989.

I know I'm at Disney when I hear "Please stand clear of the doors."

And before WDW ever existed, Disneyland had a Monorail! It was opened by Vice President Nixon's daughters Julie and Tricia in 1959. The ceremonial scissors didn't work, leaving Walt to rip the ribbon by hand. Unlike most Disneyland attractions, the Disneyland Monorail was owned by Walt Disney himself, through a company called Retlaw Enterprises ("Walter" spelled backwards).

Disneyland's Monorails are Mark VII, being run since 2007. You can take the Monorail from Downtown Disney into the park, getting off in Tomorrowland, or get on in Tomorrowland and go back to Downtown Disney. On the way back to Downtown Disney, the Monorail cuts through the front of Disney's California Adventure Park and passes the Grand Californian Hotel.

Here's a D23 article with 8 Cool Facts About the Disney Monorail.

Finally, I've been lucky enough to experience a third Disney Monorail, the Tokyo Disney Resort Line. This monorail circles the Tokyo Disney Resort, stopping at the Resort Gateway (JR Maihama Station and Ikspiari shopping district), Tokyo Disneyland/Tokyo Disneyland Hotel, Bayside Station (for nearby hotels), and Tokyo DisneySea park. Here are some pictures of various special-occasion wraps on the Tokyo Monorail (which also feature coordinating interior decorations). Note the Mickey-shaped windows on the trains!

60 minutes for me over the last few days - walking and the dreaded weeding.
60/500

Really enjoying the theme! I'll have to make a trip to Ft. Wilderness on our next vacation!

37 minutes, tried out a new gym. It was....not ideal. But what is ideal? After canceling my Disneyland reservation I made a Disneyworld reservation. 40 days until I go home! So excited to see Happily Ever After again in person!

108/800

Just wondering why the new gym wasn’t ideal?

Just wondering why the new gym wasn’t ideal?
Two reasons, and try not to judge me. First, I like weight lifting. Literally. Picking up heavy weights and putting them down. I'm struggling to find a gym/coach who will help me with that. I've been to 3 places and all of them want me to do some sort of cross fit/body weight workout for as long as 6 months, or every session, before we get to lift the weights. I want what I had in my old gym (which is 4 states away) cardio warm up for 15 minutes, lift heavy for 30, cool down for 15 minutes. Seems simple right? And yet, no one is willing to do that.

And second, the gym this weekend turned out to be prohibitively expensive. After the kind of work out I hate (crunches, situps, pushups) I was judged too advanced for the beginning class but not strong even for the advanced class. Which means I'd need personal training at $160 a session. They wanted me to come for 3 sessions a week, and I needed to buy a package of 10 at a time. So that's right, they wanted $1600 for me to sign up for my session. That's half a Disney trip! That's 4 nights in Deluxe resort! That's 320 Citrus Swirls!!!

Hi, All! - Signing up late this month, as I was away visiting family, but I'm in for my usual 500 minutes. I got a good head start in upstate NY:

Fri, 7/2 - 70 minutes (3.5 hours at Six Flags Darien Lake, divided by 3 to try to estimate how much was walking)

Sat, 7/4 - 60 minutes on a gorgeous hike up to a waterfall in the Finger Lakes:

587332 587333

Monday 7/6 - 10 minutes on the treadmill, just to re-establish the routine now that I'm home

Total so far: 140/500

Got out early this morning and walked for 60 minutes. There was lovely breeze so it was easy to keep going.
120/500
@Raya - I hear you about the 'right' gym. The one I was going to closed because of the pandemic. It was such a comfortable place to workout. I've been looking, but none of the others close by feel right. And, boy, that sounded very expensive, too! No judgement here!
@PollyannaMom, gorgeous pix! I'd love to see the finger Lakes! Upstate NYR is so beautiful!

Congratulations to PollyannaMom for jumping in at (and being the first team member to reach) Omnibus Orange! BonnieF blows through Boat Blue (just shy of Omnibus Orange!) and the TEAM turns Boat Blue as well! :boat:

In honor of the first Orange on the board, let's look at the Omnibus, found (at least) on Main Streets in Disneyland Park, the Magic Kingdom, Tokyo Disneyland, and Disneyland Paris. This two-story open-air antique-styled vehicle is a fun way to travel between Town Square and the castle, in whichever park you find yourself.

The Omnibus premiered at Disneyland in 1956. They were an Opening Day attraction at the Magic Kingdom, and joined Tokyo in 1983 and Paris in 1992. Here's a look back from Disney Parks Blog.

But do you recall that the Omnibus used to travel around the World Showcase in Epcot? As at the Magic Kingdom, they were an Opening Day feature in 1982. They were not considered an attraction, though, but simply transportation. After they were no longer serving guests, they were decorated and used for character parades and appearances.

The last pre-pandemic international trip my DH and I took included Disneyland Paris, and the last attraction we rode was the Omnibus, from the castle to the hub, on our way out of the park. Here's the omnibus after it dropped us off (note the ads in English!):

846709E9-AA05-46A1-A464-5F969D125F09.jpeg

Last edited:
28 more sweaty minutes. I just can't seem to make it past 30 minutes in the heat. Things are gonna be rough when I'm back home next month. Lots of mid-day naps and pool time I guess.

99/800

I had you at 108 before, so now 136?

Congratulations to Twilight Sparkle for turning Omnibus Orange!

Another of the Main Street Vehicles that travel between Town Square and the castle is the antique horse-drawn trolley, found at both Disneyland Park and the Magic Kingdom. The horses that pull Disneyland's trolleys live at Circle D Ranch in Norco, which is not open to the public. But you can visit the MK's horses in their off-hours at Tri-Circle D Ranch at Fort Wilderness!

The horse-drawn trolley has been at Disneyland since its Opening Day. Here's an article about Disneyland's trolley horses, with links to biographies of some. The horses are Clydesdales, Percherons, and Belgians. If you want to know who is pulling your trolley, look for the oversized Disney name badge on the trolley.

One of the exciting signs that Disneyland was set to reopen was the sight of the trolley horses out on Main Street! I'm not sure about Disneyland, but at the MK, during COVID times they have been using the trolleys for character cavalcades.

Edited to add: looking at my photos, apparently Disneyland Paris also has horse-drawn trolleys!43EFFCE1-6A99-4D50-85C9-4A52E19BA2A5.jpeg

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter