george the ghost on pirates of the caribbean

ok, i can believe the whole 'george' thing, and there being a ghost, but that story on the link on the first page is just unbelievable. it's laughable lol! maybe he did die during construction or just after, but killing his lover on the ride? that just would not happen!

I am already creeped out by Pirates, now I definitely don't want to go back on next week whether if it's real or not! lol. However, I will make my husband go on and try the George thing. :rotfl:

Does anyone have any recent George encounter stories or did the hauntings stop after the refurbishment. I'm going to Disney this month and I don't wanna try this if it no longer works.

Does anyone have a detailed background on George and what the heck he has to do with POTC?

We do this ever trip we are on. The very first time we did it, the boys and I yelled 3 times (much to DH's dismay!) and the boats stopped. My boys were freaking out. At the end of the ride, my one son said to the CM, we yelled to George. She said, "So,YOU are the reason the boats stopped! We couldn't figure out what happend!" My boys were never the same again! :rotfl2:

We were there back in March and I told my husband about George. He doesn't believe in any of it. So I told him to say his name three times and sure enough we were the next family to load on the boats and the whole ride went down!!!:scared1: It took about 15 minutes for them to restart the ride. I look over at my husband and I said see it was George. My girls were like who is George so the running joke for the rest of the trip was he was our bus driver. :rotfl: A couple days later we went back to POTC and nobody was there so I took off to one line and my husband went the other line and I had the whole boat to myself. Let me tell you I was freaking out the whole time!! Thankfully nothing happened.

We were there back in March and I told my husband about George. He doesn't believe in any of it. So I told him to say his name three times and sure enough we were the next family to load on the boats and the whole ride went down!!!:scared1: It took about 15 minutes for them to restart the ride. I look over at my husband and I said see it was George. My girls were like who is George so the running joke for the rest of the trip was he was our bus driver. :rotfl: A couple days later we went back to POTC and nobody was there so I took off to one line and my husband went the other line and I had the whole boat to myself. Let me tell you I was freaking out the whole time!! Thankfully nothing happened.

George or not, the fact that you rode POTC all by yourself alone in a boat is scary!!! You're brave! I would've been so so freaked out.

POTC doesn't scare me when I'm riding with other people but it would be so creepy if I was alone!

As far as George, I love the story. :thumbsup2

Did anyone notice that both Portside Pirate and Anon617 joined the same month and year that they posted, both only have 3 posts, and all 3 posts are on this thread?!

George got Dis accounts!!!!:rotfl2:

We yelled George a few times on our trip in June, nothing happened... we would have been laughing hysterically if the boats stopped!!

Mention George in line at HM in front of a cast member, they get real serious and say shhh we dont talk about George here. :rotfl2:

Okay, this is the honest to God truth.

On a trip several years ago, after likely reading about George on this web site, we were in line at POTC. I had kept the George secret to myself as my kids are always looking for some ride info or secrets and I figured I'd wait until we were in the building to spring it on them.

As I was telling them the story of George and how he died in the ride during construction of the ride and if you say his name 3 times, something will happen, there was some clear disbelief from my family. The skepticism grew when I was unsure of George's name. I actually had forgotten his name was George and was calling him "Bob".

When we approached the CMs at the boat loading, I asked them "Isn't there a ghost in the building named Bob who died during construction". They both played coy and actually acted a bit putoff by my questioning. I couldn't figure out why, but I quickly stopped asking questions and my kids were like, "Yeah, Dad, nice try, there is not ghost!!!"

We loaded the boat, and just as we were pulling away from the dock, one CM turned and said, "Oh, by the way, his name is George!!!".

My kids then became obsessed with say chanting "George, George, George".

I'm not sure if I believe in ghost or not (although experiences like this make me want to believe). However, there is only one person that I know who is absolutely certain that she has seen a ghost, and that's my mother. Coincidentally enough, my mom was with us in the boat.

You can call this chance or coincidence or whatever, but as our boat approached the drop just after the skeleton and crab beach scene there was a substantial "bang" and jostling of the boat, as if the boat came off the track.

As I assume most of you know this part of the ride, it is very dark in front of you so that you can't see the drop, so it was a little scary not knowing if our boat was going to continue down the fall. Then the boat suddenly stopped.

We were stuck dead at the top of the drop for about 15 minutes, during which time we were apologizing to George. At that time several CMs came out with a rope, tied the boat and helped us off the boat and out a door at the top of the drop and around the back side of the building. They said we couldn't take any pictures.

Anyway that is a TRUE STORY. You can believe what you want about whether George was involved. Of course, we believe he was directly involved. We have taken several rides on POTC after this without incident.

Has anyone ever claimed to see George? I'm not sure that I can put much faith in the ride breaking down proving his existence because truthfully rides break down a lot. But has anyone seen or even heard anything?

I always forget about George but I always think about the Haunted Mansion ghost when we ride. The story just fits so well. :)

Has anyone ever claimed to see George? I'm not sure that I can put much faith in the ride breaking down proving his existence because truthfully rides break down a lot. But has anyone seen or even heard anything?

I always forget about George but I always think about the Haunted Mansion ghost when we ride. The story just fits so well. :)

If you read the book "4 decades of magic" there's an essay by a former employee who talks of several encounters with George and two women who also supposedly haunt the ride

We are locals and regulars to the parks, and have had many conversations with cast members at pirates about George. I believe he is real.

I was trying to take a picture of the skeletons playing chess on POTC yesterday and to my surprise looks like I caught an ORB. I was not aware of "George" until I spoke to my friend about the photo.

:confused3

IMG_0599.jpg

I was a CM at pirates of the caribbean a few years ago. I would get questions all the time about George. The truth is, there isn't enough evidence to back up any George story. There certainly could've been someone named George who was involved with the construction of the ride in the early 70s, but there's no way for us to know.
As far as the ride breaking down when you say George or as about him or whatever, newsflash, it's a 40 year old ride. The thing hasn't had a major mechanical update in over 20 years. It's going to break down. I'm convinced sometimes it would break down if you looked at it the wrong way.
Now, I will say this about Pirates. Though most Disney ghost stories have been debunked, I do believe there is something in that building other than rats, mold, and smelly pirates. There are sections of the ride where no one would go, not even managers. We all felt this over whelming sense of dread and sorrow. Eventually, we weren't allowed to go to those places anymore for safety reasons.
Also, please don't take it the wrong way if you ask a CM about George and they say he's not real or if they're short with you. Most of us (myself included) would've loved to share a cool ghost story with you. However, other guests have ruined that and according to management, they have to act like they've never heard the george stories.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter