George Floyd case - Officer arrested for Murder

Status
Not open for further replies.
The guys I saw in the pictures beating at the cash registers with hammers in the Target store definitely were not white supremacists.
Great. Well, that solves it, case closed. With your evidence, we can all safely conclude there weren't any white supremacists in the crowd. Whew.
tBut 100% of the population doesn’t come into contact with the police. You can’t die at the hand of law enforcement if you don’t come in to contact with law enforcemen. I already explained that once you do come into contact with law enforcement I believe that African Americans have more of a tendency to adopt an aggressive confrontational style and that does contribute to increased risk for those who adopt it.

YOUR belief. And if true, I wonder why that might be...

Great. Well, that solves it, case closed. With your evidence, we can all safely conclude there weren't any white supremacists in the crowd. Whew.

YOUR belief. And if true, I wonder why that might be...
Sometimes when cultural differences support an argument then good demonstration of diversity. When cultural differences don’t support an argument then racism.

Racism is the belief that not all should be equal under the law. I strongly support equality under the law. If you only knew how wrong your inference is and how much I detest these simple divisive labels for people...but in the US so much of political discourse involves these simple labels.

In an average year about 200 African Americans die at the hands of police. Some of them under questionable circumstances. In an average year about 400 Caucasians die at the hands of police and some under questionable circumstances. Yes it is unfortunate but these numbers are actually very small compared to the number of Caucasians that murder other Caucasians and African Americans who murder African Americans. In fact to me these numbers are incredibly low and not the impression you get from the media that police are gunning down African Americans in the street. In total the police should be commended and not vilified. Incredibly low numbers in my opinion.
Actually I wouldn’t be upset if fewer Caucasians (stick just to my own race so no possible claim of racism) actually made it to trial. Some crimes are so egregious wouldn’t bother me a bit if death by police action increased and those going to trial decreased. For me personally crimes against women and children are particularly egregious crimes.

The data doesn’t support your contention when accounting for population percentages. Adult African-American men make up 6% of the US population, but they make up 40% of people killed by police. African-American men are 2.5 times more likely than Caucasian men to be killed by police, and unarmed African-American men are almost 4 times more likely to be killed by police than an armed Caucasian men.

I do not know anything about the police officer that’s been arrested for killing Mr. Floyd. But I do wonder if a Caucasian man in a similar situation would’ve been treated in the same way by the police officer.

Say it louder for the people in the back!

There is a history of armed protests in the Michigan capital building. Apparently not against the law in Michigan to carry weapons openly in public spaces.

What about nooses? Confederate flags? Nazi flags? What about them? Not illegal probably, but immoral? Most certainly. As is showing up packed with guns up to your neck as...well, let's call it what is was-a threat. You don't show up to a protest at a state building armed to the teeth to be peaceful, you show up at a protest armed to the teeth to look like a total badass threatening the people inside the building. And I say again, if the protesters had been black, they would now be dead.

And per your assertion that African-Americans are more likely to become aggressive and resist arrest, are you claiming that it's a cultural difference? Please clear this up for me-how? My background is Polish. I eat more pierogi than the average American. That's a cultural difference. Black people are more likely to be aggressive and resist arrest? That *really* seemed like a racist statement to my sensibilities. Please clear this up for me that this is not so.

Are people so afraid of equality and protecting that status quo that they’re able to just flat out deny there’s an issue of systematic racism and oppression that’s been going on for well over a hundred years?

We need to do better and we have to fight harder. It’s happened countless times since then but I remember Rodney King and the LA riots as a child. I was too young to understand what happened really let alone the societal implications of it but nearly thirty years later, it’s a way too familiar story.

These crimes perpetrated by those meant to uphold the law are still sparking the same conversations and the same denials. Things have to change, what’s happening has never been ok and it’s not ok now. I really hope the younger generations can demand the change that has been needed for so long.

Are people so afraid of equality and protecting that status quo that they’re able to just flat out deny there’s an issue of systematic racism and oppression that’s been going on for well over a hundred years?

We need to do better and we have to fight harder. It’s happened countless times since then but I remember Rodney King and the LA riots as a child. I was too young to understand what happened really let alone the societal implications of it but nearly thirty years later, it’s a way too familiar story.

These crimes perpetrated by those meant to uphold the law are still sparking the same conversations and the same denials. Things have to change, what’s happening has never been ok and it’s not ok now. I really hope the younger generations can demand the change that has been needed for so long.

I think that’s what I find most problematic about this whole situation. It wasn’t just two men getting into a fight and one killing the other. This was one man, whose duty it was to serve and protect his community, taking the life of another man, in what appears to be rather callous disregard for life.

People are asked to cooperate if a police officer stops them. But, if cooperating still results in death, there is an issue.

I think that’s what I find most problematic about this whole situation. It wasn’t just two men getting into a fight and one killing the other. This was one man, whose duty it was to serve and protect his community, taking the life of another man, in what appears to be rather callous disregard for life.

People are asked to cooperate if a police officer stops them. But, if cooperating still results in death, there is an issue.
Yes, it's despicable. There is no excuse. The officer is facing murder charges and likely more will follow. The others will soon follow. No excuse for the violent protests and vandalism. NONE!!!its not productive.

No excuse for the violent protests and vandalism. NONE!!!its not productive.

We're discussing race relations in America. We're discussing the death of unarmed black citizens. We're discussing how we feel. It's gotten the attention of the world. I'd call that productive. *shrug* I am conflicted, and I have no problem in admitting that. I'm white, so I don't come from this place of rage. Maybe I shouldn't be speaking out at all...but if whites DON'T have discussions and speak out after all this pain and suffering, *then* it will all have been in vain.

I believe that African Americans have more of a tendency to adopt an aggressive confrontational style and that does contribute to increased risk for those who adopt it.
This same type of thing has been said by the vast majority of racists. It's nothing but the ole uppity black person stereotype reworded.
Racism is the belief that not all should be equal under the law. I strongly support equality under the law. If you only knew how wrong your inference is and how much I detest these simple divisive labels for people...but in the US so much of political discourse involves these simple labels.
Racism is the inculcation of the belief that one race is inferior to another. And the stereotype reworded you just posted is but one example of many. That you're trotting that out indicates you don't really support genuine equality under the law. You may think you do. But you don't. Instead you're supporting the status quo. . And to do that you bury your head in the sand and upon seeing no evil declare that there is no evil and that black people must be doing something wrong.

What about nooses? Confederate flags? Nazi flags? What about them? Not illegal probably, but immoral? Most certainly. As is showing up packed with guns up to your neck as...well, let's call it what is was-a threat. You don't show up to a protest at a state building armed to the teeth to be peaceful, you show up at a protest armed to the teeth to look like a total badass threatening the people inside the building. And I say again, if the protesters had been black, they would now be dead.

And per your assertion that African-Americans are more likely to become aggressive and resist arrest, are you claiming that it's a cultural difference? Please clear this up for me-how? My background is Polish. I eat more pierogi than the average American. That's a cultural difference. Black people are more likely to be aggressive and resist arrest? That *really* seemed like a racist statement to my sensibilities. Please clear this up for me that this is not so.
Racism is supporting inequality under the law and I strongly support equality under the law. Racism is pre judging a person based on race and I certainly don’t do it. Are there cultural differences between the way people interact between say New York City and End Of The Road Kansas-I would say there is. It is not racism to say that cultures do have different tendencies for interacting with people inside and outside their culture. You are not pre judging an individual but just noting on a cultural level that there are behavioral tendencies. Amongst European cultures (and sorry but I can’t think of any unique behavioral traits of Poles) the Scandinavians tend to have a cold measured style while the Italians have a hot emotional style. Nothing racist about it and no pre judgements of individuals involved. Would I say emotional Italians on average have higher interaction risk with LE than Scandinavians-yes I would.

This same type of thing has been said by the vast majority of racists. It's nothing but the ole uppity black person stereotype reworded.

Racism is the inculcation of the belief that one race is inferior to another. And the stereotype reworded you just posted is but one example of many. That you're trotting that out indicates you don't really support genuine equality under the law. You support the status quo. And to do that you bury your head in the sand and upon seeing no evil declare that there is no evil and that black people must be doing something wrong.
What you say is simply incorrect. I never pre judge anyone so don’t accuse me of stereotyping please. Who benefits from racial division in the US. Not me nor anyone I know. The only ones that have benefitted from decades of this same discussion are the politicians that maintain their power by constantly utilizing racial divides.

Racism is supporting inequality under the law and I strongly support equality under the law. Racism is pre judging a person based on race and I certainly don’t do it. Are there cultural differences between the way people interact between say New York City and End Of The Road Kansas-I would say there is. It is not racism to say that cultures do have different tendencies for interacting with people inside and outside their culture. You are not pre judging an individual but just noting on a cultural level that there are behavioral tendencies. Amongst European cultures (and sorry but I can’t think of any unique behavioral traits of Poles) the Scandinavians tend to have a cold measured style while the Italians have a hot emotional style. Nothing racist about it and no pre judgements of individuals involved. Would I say emotional Italians on average have higher interaction risk with LE than Scandinavians-yes I would.

So...you're saying that black people are more hot tempered than white people? Coming from their culture? You're not pre-judging a culture here based on their community standards of what is acceptable behavior when you state this, you're pre-judging a *race.* It's different, do you not see that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter