George Floyd case - Officer arrested for Murder

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimMIA

There's more to life than mice...
There was some discussion on this case on the "Central Park Karen" thread, but it would probably be better to consolidate the discussion here.

George Floyd (for those who have been REALLY isolating) is the black man who died during an arrest in Minneapolis after having an officer kneel on his neck for what seemed like a lifetime. Subsequently, there were understandably a lot of emotions and demonstrations, and eventually some of those demonstrations turned into looting, burning, and so far one fatality (an alleged looter who was apparently shot by a property owner).

Today, former officer Derek Chauvin, who knelt on Floyd's neck, was charged with 3rd Degree Murder and Manslaughter. If my research is correct, in MN 3rd Degree Murder is punishable by up to 25 years in prison and a $40,000 fine.

Some advocates were calling for the death penalty, but MN does not have a death penalty.

https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2020...eorge-floyd-death-minneapolis-police-officer/

I think that is good. I think the other officers seen holding him down need to be charged with something also. It is so distressing to see what people are capable of, how they treat another human being. I saw a very nice Facebook post today on people in Minneapolis cleaning up after last night's chaos. There was a hashtag referring to Mr Rogers - look for the helpers.

I have never been sure any of the other officers were holding him down. I thought one officer might have been kneeling on Floyd's back, but I only saw a second or two of video that looked that way and it wasn't a clear view.

But they certainly should have yanked Cauvin off of him -- for Floyd's sake, for Cauvin's sake, and for their own sake. Just standing there contributed to Floyd's death, Cauvin's career suicide, and certainly the ends of all of their careers.

The other cops I've talked to have been thoroughly disgusted with all 4 of them.

"Central Park Karen" was the spark, and George Floyd is the flame. Everything is culminating.

Is it sad that I have a strong belief that this "officer" will somehow get off easy?

I am beyond hope that any of us will ever get along. We will never learn our lesson no matter HOW many arrests will be made.

I saw a very nice Facebook post today on people in Minneapolis cleaning up after last night's chaos. There was a hashtag referring to Mr Rogers - look for the helpers.
We'll see what happens. Once rioting and looting gets started, it tends to run for a few days. I'm also not especially confident in either the local police or state police there. They're using the tactics of the 1960's.

I’ll be SHOCKED if he does more than 5 years.
I'm not worrying about the sentencing. I'm worried about the VERDICT. I hope they have a strong case, and continue to build their case.

A not guilty verdict would be catastrophic for Minneapolis. They're going to take a huge economic hit from this as it is.

I hope that he somehow explains what he was thinking. The biggest racist in the world wouldn't likely do something that stupid and vicious. Or do I give people too much credit?

Also, why didn't the others officers stop him? Just ridiculous.

I can’t wrap my brain around the thought of how he would do this. He wasn’t struggling or fighting back. Everything looks fine until they get to the police car. What would possess him to do that? Or am I that naive?

I hope that he somehow explains what he was thinking. The biggest racist in the world wouldn't likely do something that stupid and vicious. Or do I give people too much credit?
Racist? Stupid? Vicious? Hard to know what's going on inside someone's mind.

But would we be okay with an "explanation?"

I'm sure his lawyer will offer some kind of an excuse, but would his side of the story outweigh the visual of him kneeling on Floyd, with both hands in his pockets like it was nothing, change anyone's opinion? Not mine.

Also, why didn't the others officers stop him? Just ridiculous.
It really is, although I'm sure a lot of civilians don't consider that seriously. Trust me, people lose it momentarily sometimes -- and when they do, good people yank them out of the mess they've made for themselves.

I wonder how he could have so many complaints about him and still be on active duty. Sounds like a break down in leadership and maybe it's more than just the 4 officers that need to be investigated and potentially charged.

I wonder how he could have so many complaints about him and still be on active duty. Sounds like a break down in leadership and maybe it's more than just the 4 officers that need to be investigated and potentially charged.
Like that would ever happen. They'll just circle the wagons and protect their own.

He has many complaints against him. He must have felt like he can do whatever he wanted and have no consequences like the other times.
Irrelevant. He had 18 complaints and got mild discipline for two of them. Without knowing all of the details of each complaint, we know nothing.

As I said on the other thread -- those complaints might tell us something about the quality of the management of the department, but they don't tell us much about the officer without all the facts and a detailed understanding of the department's disciplinary procedures.

The facts and evidence of the George Lloyd case matter. Those complaints don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter