jeffreyhughesnc

Earning My Ears
My assumption would be that KISM would be the best airport to land but does anyone have any opinion on the better FBO and average tie down/hangar costs? Is there a better airport for WDW?

I know nothing about general aviation, but I do live very close to the parks and am familiar with the ways of getting around once you land.

Of the airports @sam_gordon mentioned above, KISM is probably the closest but access to Disney is a bit tedious since it involves a good stretch of 192. KORL, in downtown Orlando is pretty much a straight shot to WDW via 408 & I-4, but does involve the dreaded I-4 parking lot if going during rush hour.

KGIF would also be a difficult drive on I-4 but from the other direction. KX04 (Apopka) is about a 40 minute drive to WDW on mostly toll roads. I see that's listed as a private airport so I don't know if that affects your choice.

Last edited:

Thank you for the fast response. KISM would be my first choice, I was hoping to get some anecdotal accounts on making the trip, particularly the FBOs and if there are decent shuttles. Yes, I can call them but again I was hoping for some personal accounts to help guide me through the mine field. The major brain picking would be some tips flying under MCO's Class B shelf and the busy airspace as a whole. People in aviation tend not to travel to WDW; in fact, If one were to make Venn diagram of aviation people and Disney fans the overlapping parts would be minuscule. I might be one of six. I thought by posting here I could flush out the other five; elsewhere, I would be derided.

Oh I did find a post on Pilots of America (WDW wasn't mentioned specifically but was referenced as "the mouse") I think I may have found the other five. I would have included the link but Disboards wouldn't allow me... maybe because I'm a neophyte.

I'm a student pilot (for almost 2 years now :crazy: - got sidelined last year when I lost my job). *IF* I'm able to get back and finish (life long dream), one of my "goals" is to fly from Central Ky to Florida to visit my mom. So I've looked at the area a little bit. Of course, that would cost probably 10x what a commercial flight would cost, and take almost as long. :P

Pilots of America has a lot of information and a lot of experienced pilots.

ISM looks to be the closest but I’m not super familiar with traffic once there and if it’s actually the fastest. Odyssey is CAA if you’re a jet burner, and even if you’re not at least it isn’t Signature.

I'm a student pilot (for almost 2 years now :crazy: - got sidelined last year when I lost my job). *IF* I'm able to get back and finish (life long dream), one of my "goals" is to fly from Central Ky to Florida to visit my mom. So I've looked at the area a little bit. Of course, that would cost probably 10x what a commercial flight would cost, and take almost as long. :P

Pilots of America has a lot of information and a lot of experienced pilots.
I completely understand your situation. I was fortunate to have bought my PA28-140 before the market went bonkers (It cost less than my used mini van(it was my midlife crisis splurge)); so it cost money to not use it. Don't give up the ship - stay on it, you'll get there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter