Gate closure today

On the 60th kickoff they closed the park because so many people were camped out on Main St for the PTN premiere. The rest of the park wasn't at capacity yet. The other thing is I doubt that Touring Plans is able to adjust for the reduced capacity due to the current closures. Disney hasn't disclosed how many people per hour were using TSI, ROA and railroad or in the areas that are currently closed, so how could they realistically know how many fewer people would be allowed in to account for that?
I remember when CarsLand and Buena Vista St opened in mid-June 2012. TP was oblivious to what it would do to DCA crowds. I am sure almost everyone on this forum could have told you that DCA would be slammed especially right when it opened until some of the AP blackouts kicked in later in June. Once TP realized how they were so far off (like a week after the grand re-opening) they set all predicted crowd days for the next 2 months to "10". Which is also ridiculous because there can only be 36 days of "10's" in a year.

Anyways, they do not pay attention to DLR and do not understand DLR. The DLR crowd calendars make some folks (who do not know any better) feel better (or worse) about their trip. For no good reason.

:wizard:

I remember when CarsLand and Buena Vista St opened in mid-June 2012. TP was oblivious to what it would do to DCA crowds. I am sure almost everyone on this forum could have told you that DCA would be slammed especially right when it opened until some of the AP blackouts kicked in later in June. Once TP realized how they were so far off (like a week after the grand re-opening) they set all predicted crowd days for the next 2 months to "10". Which is also ridiculous because there can only be 36 days of "10's" in a year.

Anyways, they do not pay attention to DLR and do not understand DLR. The DLR crowd calendars make some folks (who do not know any better) feel better (or worse) about their trip. For no good reason.

Oh my gosh yes! I am looking at Touring Plans right now, planning to make a trip to DCA on June 4th to ride Guardians. And Touring Plans is telling me that the wait will only be 26 mins if I hit it at rope drop! Are they kidding? The second weekend it is open? Get real :sad2:

Today is also pretty nuts, looking at the wait times, though perhaps not quite as bad as yesterday.
Indeed it was. I just came in from the park. Pretty packed and, with the heat, it stopped being fun around late morning.

Indeed it was. I just came in from the park. Pretty packed and, with the heat, it stopped being fun around late morning.

Yeah, Sundays are pretty bad (even with the 3-day passes expired now) since most APs are unblocked. Hoping next weekend isn't too horrible since Saturday and Sunday are both blockout days. We'll fight the crowds regardless though as we've made up our minds to go.

We left mid day today and the crowds were pretty bad. Once you adjust to the sea of people its pretty doable though. Lost my kids for about a half hour. Once I found them I was willing to Walt in any line as long as they were with me.

Yeah, Sundays are pretty bad (even with the 3-day passes expired now) since most APs are unblocked. Hoping next weekend isn't too horrible since Saturday and Sunday are both blockout days. We'll fight the crowds regardless though as we've made up our minds to go.
The three-day passes aren't expired quite yet... which is probably a large part of why this weekend has been so nuts. My sister just used her last day today.

Thank you for saying that. When I looked at the likely dates of our trip, the TP crowd predictions seemed pretty off. One day was a 6 and one was a 9/10 for DCA, and I wondered if I'd be stupid not to go on the 6 day. But based on what I've read here and common sense, it didn't make sense for that day to be a 6. I suspected they were trying to use the same formula as they do for WDW (e.g. people start their vacations on certain days and go to certain parks, etc.) and not taking into account things like APs.

The three-day passes aren't expired quite yet... which is probably a large part of why this weekend has been so nuts. My sister just used her last day today.

Yeah. I saw that on Mouseplanet this morning. Earlier in this thread someone said Saturday was the last day. I think they meant the last Saturday. I do hope that next weekend will be a little more manageable (maybe an 8) with the passes expired and the APs blocked.

Ughhhh.... the closure made our local news in Illinois this morning. I have a trip this weekend (Wed night through Mon night) and this is the last thing I wanted to hear, haha...

I was always sort of mentally prepared for Memorial Day weekend crowds. I knew I was booking at a bad time, but... it was honestly the best time for me to book (which is true of a lot of people... which is why it's one of the worst times crowd wise, haha)

Still, one expects the worst and hopes for the best.

God willing the lack of Grads and SoCal residents this weekend will take some of the edge off. But yeah, it is still Memorial Day, and GotG is still grand opening.

I thank Jebus that I booked the Guardians VIP Party Friday night before it sold out. So I won't have to fight to get on that Saturday/Sunday. That's $150 I just get happier and happier to have splurged on.

Don't know if this weekend will be same, better or worse, all circumstances considered. We'll see I guess.

Ughhhh.... the closure made our local news in Illinois this morning. I have a trip this weekend (Wed night through Mon night) and this is the last thing I wanted to hear, haha...

I was always sort of mentally prepared for Memorial Day weekend crowds. I knew I was booking at a bad time, but... it was honestly the best time for me to book (which is true of a lot of people... which is why it's one of the worst times crowd wise, haha)

Still, one expects the worst and hopes for the best.

God willing the lack of Grads and SoCal residents this weekend will take some of the edge off. But yeah, it is still Memorial Day, and GotG is still grand opening.

I thank Jebus that I booked the Guardians VIP Party Friday night before it sold out. So I won't have to fight to get on that Saturday/Sunday. That's $150 I just get happier and happier to have splurged on.

Don't know if this weekend will be same, better or worse, all circumstances considered. We'll see I guess.

I expect Monday to be crazy. That is part of why we decided to go on Sunday. Monday is NOT a blockout day. Make sure you get to the parks early every day, should be easy with your time change. If you didn't buy parkhoppers I would consider doing so, and I'm not a big pusher of parkhopping. I'm going with the attitude that it'll be fun regardless. But we're starting an AP year, so we get to go back for a longer trip in a month. Do a lot in the mornings and you should get everything you need to done. Have fun!

Was it an actual turnstile closure? I heard it was just limited to readmits. Full closure is the next step.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter