Galloway Pace Groups @ RunDisney Races: The Official Discussion Thread

If you're following a Galloway plan to train, you're likely using run/walk intervals. The first number in the ratio is the time of the run portion of the interval, while the second number after the slash is the walk portion.

You can read more about Jeff Galloway's Training Program - and get an idea of specifically training for the Half Marathon in January here.
This is probably a really silly question. Are the numbers minutes or seconds? Is "15/30" run for 15 minutes or run for 15 seconds?

How do the paces groups stay together? Do people tend to run at a slow jog all together?

Thanks again!

This is probably a really silly question. Are the numbers minutes or seconds? Is "15/30" run for 15 minutes or run for 15 seconds?

How do the paces groups stay together? Do people tend to run at a slow jog all together?

Thanks again!
The time intervals are measured in seconds. The groups tend to form a loose clump, with some running a little faster and others walking a little faster, but the pace flag stays on target to average the desired pace per mile. The runners don't necessarily stay in formation or in step with one another, but they will aim to stay keep the flag in sight and run/walk for the amount of time dictated by the pacers. We try to emphasize that ample room be left for others to pass on the walk breaks so that we don't take up the entire roadway.

I want to use the Galloway RunDisney 1/2 Marathon training plan and join the 3:30 finish pacer group. Should I do all my training with the 15/30 ratio (or build up to it if I find it too challenging at first)?

I want to use the Galloway RunDisney 1/2 Marathon training plan and join the 3:30 finish pacer group. Should I do all my training with the 15/30 ratio (or build up to it if I find it too challenging at first)?
IMO, since you can already walk a 16 minute mile you should try starting at that ratio. But remember that the 15 seconds of running is not a sprint, it is just a relaxed run. And the walk is not a stroll, it is a fast walk.

This sounds very jarring but I'm going to try it and see. Relaxed run and fast walk... got it!
The key is in the transitions - try to learn to glide in and out of the runs. Sudden starts and stops to the running cycles should be avoided. Sounds complicated, but you will figure it out when you practice.

How do you sign up and meet up with your pace group? Is there a facebook group or anything so we can talk before we meet up?

How do you sign up and meet up with your pace group? Is there a facebook group or anything so we can talk before we meet up?

You don't have to sign up ahead of time. Depending on which corral you are in, there will be one or more Galloway folks carrying signs with times. Just say hi while waiting in the corral and stick relatively close to the pack as the race starts.

Galloway also has a booth during packet pickup and that is a great chance to talk with the pacers (probably even your pacer) ahead of time. Since I run different intervals than the Galloway pacers, every quarter mile I fell behind a bit and then caught up and passed them, although I was never more than 50 yards ahead or behind.

Other runners had slightly different goals than the pacers so they may have tried to stay within a certain number of minutes ahead or behind the pacers. For example, one year my goal was 2:35 so I started alongside the 2:30 pacer and tried to always keep her in sight, even if that pace group was a quarter mile ahead of me near the finish.

Last edited:
View attachment 372258 Here are the pacers and corral assignments for Marathon Weekend. Please say hello if you are in E on Saturday or H on Sunday!
Hi, I'm in H on Sunday and will be trying to stick with a pace group! I've never run with a pace group before, looking forward to trying it. My training this year was somewhat hampered due to illness, so I'm hoping the pace group helps keep me on track to finish!

I'll be in H Sunday with a friend. We do 60/30 intervals, so I think we'll be our own group. We're planning on stopping as much as is reasonable.

I’m so glad to have some DISers in H with me! The pace group won’t be stopping for photos or bathrooms (insert legs-crossed emoji here), so we may end up playing leapfrog with those of you who do. Feel free to hop on in with us at any time!

I’m so glad to have some DISers in H with me! The pace group won’t be stopping for photos or bathrooms (insert legs-crossed emoji here), so we may end up playing leapfrog with those of you who do. Feel free to hop on in with us at any time!

I am hoping to begin with Jeff in Coral F but expect to fade away like the winter sunlight. If I make it to mile 15.5 and my M&M McFlurry detour, chances are by the time I get back on course you should be passing by. See you next Sunday ....... maybe.

McFlurry John

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!