Galloway Pace Groups @ RunDisney Races: The Official Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'runDisney' started by Keels, Jan 20, 2017.

1. rteetz

rteetz Rumors and News Moderator Moderator

Are you people still talking about me?

2. FFigawi

FFigawi DIS Veteran

Don’t want you to feel left out or unappreciated

tigger536 likes this.
  3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. rteetz

rteetz Rumors and News Moderator Moderator

If it gets me out of facepaint yes!

5. FFigawi

FFigawi DIS Veteran

Nothing is getting you out of that.

6. MapleGirl

MapleGirl Perpetual Planner

New the group. I need pics of rteetz painted face.

SarahDisney likes this.
  7. Keels

Keels The Official Keels of RunDisney

Screen Shot 2018-06-29 at 1.04.18 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-06-29 at 1.04.06 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-06-29 at 1.03.54 PM.png

SheHulk, BuckeyeBama and MapleGirl like this.
  8. MapleGirl

This is probably a really silly question. Are the numbers minutes or seconds? Is "15/30" run for 15 minutes or run for 15 seconds?

How do the paces groups stay together? Do people tend to run at a slow jog all together?

Thanks again!

9. ksoehrlein

ksoehrlein Once (and Future?) CM

The time intervals are measured in seconds. The groups tend to form a loose clump, with some running a little faster and others walking a little faster, but the pace flag stays on target to average the desired pace per mile. The runners don't necessarily stay in formation or in step with one another, but they will aim to stay keep the flag in sight and run/walk for the amount of time dictated by the pacers. We try to emphasize that ample room be left for others to pass on the walk breaks so that we don't take up the entire roadway.

10. tigger536

tigger536 DIS Veteran

Submitting my application for this corral. I believe you are familiar with my body of work. :rotfl::drinking1

Seriously, I can't wait for this! i'm sad I missed it the last two years.

Keels likes this.
  11. MapleGirl

I want to use the Galloway RunDisney 1/2 Marathon training plan and join the 3:30 finish pacer group. Should I do all my training with the 15/30 ratio (or build up to it if I find it too challenging at first)?

tigger536 likes this.
  12. BuckeyeBama

BuckeyeBama You are stronger than you think.

IMO, since you can already walk a 16 minute mile you should try starting at that ratio. But remember that the 15 seconds of running is not a sprint, it is just a relaxed run. And the walk is not a stroll, it is a fast walk.

13. MapleGirl

This sounds very jarring but I'm going to try it and see. Relaxed run and fast walk... got it!

BuckeyeBama likes this.
  14. BuckeyeBama

BuckeyeBama You are stronger than you think.

The key is in the transitions - try to learn to glide in and out of the runs. Sudden starts and stops to the running cycles should be avoided. Sounds complicated, but you will figure it out when you practice.

tigger536 likes this.
  15. MapleGirl

How do you sign up and meet up with your pace group? Is there a facebook group or anything so we can talk before we meet up?

16. Kerry1957

Kerry1957 Will run for Hefeweizen

You don't have to sign up ahead of time. Depending on which corral you are in, there will be one or more Galloway folks carrying signs with times. Just say hi while waiting in the corral and stick relatively close to the pack as the race starts.

Galloway also has a booth during packet pickup and that is a great chance to talk with the pacers (probably even your pacer) ahead of time. Since I run different intervals than the Galloway pacers, every quarter mile I fell behind a bit and then caught up and passed them, although I was never more than 50 yards ahead or behind.

Other runners had slightly different goals than the pacers so they may have tried to stay within a certain number of minutes ahead or behind the pacers. For example, one year my goal was 2:35 so I started alongside the 2:30 pacer and tried to always keep her in sight, even if that pace group was a quarter mile ahead of me near the finish.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
    Sleepless Knight and bphilb like this.
  17. ksoehrlein

C1F30B44-C765-41D2-80A2-6F56F30513E7.jpeg Here are the pacers and corral assignments for Marathon Weekend. Please say hello if you are in E on Saturday or H on Sunday!

18. Gators713

Gators713 Earning My Ears

Hi, I'm in H on Sunday and will be trying to stick with a pace group! I've never run with a pace group before, looking forward to trying it. My training this year was somewhat hampered due to illness, so I'm hoping the pace group helps keep me on track to finish!

ksoehrlein and ZellyB like this.
  19. 2girlsR2good

2girlsR2good DIS Veteran

I'll be in H Sunday with a friend. We do 60/30 intervals, so I think we'll be our own group. We're planning on stopping as much as is reasonable.

20. ksoehrlein

I’m so glad to have some DISers in H with me! The pace group won’t be stopping for photos or bathrooms (insert legs-crossed emoji here), so we may end up playing leapfrog with those of you who do. Feel free to hop on in with us at any time!

Disney at Heart likes this.
  21. John VN

John VN DIS Cast Member

I am hoping to begin with Jeff in Coral F but expect to fade away like the winter sunlight. If I make it to mile 15.5 and my M&M McFlurry detour, chances are by the time I get back on course you should be passing by. See you next Sunday ....... maybe.

McFlurry John