Galaxy's Edge Performance and Evolution Discussion

great question, and to stay on topic, what would you ask about Batuu / Galaxies Edge?

Im kinda curious about how much input Lucas Films has , or do they have any and is it totally 100% Disney
Oh, heh. I guess, especially since it's come up here a lot, I would be curious about the thought process that led them to base the land on the new trilogy instead of something else, if there were any other plans that were tossed in favor of this one, etc.

And I would beg for more characters/droids roaming the land.

I agree that the land needs aliens and more droids roaming
Figrin D'an and the modal nodes song does play at oga's as part of DjRex's set
Yea I was not sure about the music. I could not tell what they were playing from the videos I watched and we are not going to Oga’s until February, but that is good to hear.

they both = company investments

We compare them because the TEA/AECOM Theme Index Report itself compares them, and that report is a very important index for the business side of theme parks worldwide.

Follow the $. Every time a theme park company invests in their property, they hope to get a return on that investment.

As another poster said, it will be interesting to see the impact of SWGE when the 2019 TEA/AECOM Theme Index Report comes out. In the 2018TEA/AECOM report, HS was # 9. If HS jumps to #4 in the next report, it will be a big deal to TEA members.

The 2018 report predicts that SWGE will = a "massive" attendance increase for both HS and Disneyland in 2019.

The idea of comparing SWGE to HP came right out of the Themed Entrtainment Association itself, not from us.
Yes, this. No one was questioning the comparison between HP and SWGE before approximately May 31, 2019. SWGE was widely accepted as being Disney's "answer" to HP, which would relegate HP (and Universal Studios) back to second tier status. It was only after that didn't happen that suddenly comparing the two is inapt and unfair. I still think this comes down to hindsight bias. I think SW and HP, as fan-driven intellectual properties, were assumed to be more similar than we can now see they are.

Yes, this. No one was questioning the comparison between HP and SWGE before approximately May 31, 2019. SWGE was widely accepted as being Disney's "answer" to HP, which would relegate HP (and Universal Studios) back to second tier status. It was only after that didn't happen that suddenly comparing the two is inapt and unfair. I still think this comes down to hindsight bias. I think SW and HP, as fan-driven intellectual properties, were assumed to be more similar than we can now see they are.

Absolutely.

Before the lands opened a lot of us were very nervous what it would do to all the parks. Can the infrastructure handle it? Are discounts gone? Are the other parks going to be a mess when the crowds descend? It’s pretty funny now. I mean there’s no noticeable difference if you don’t head to SWGE. Even in DHS.

The extensive EEMH and especially how they are not extending them even for the opening of ROTR also says to me that Disney expected much bigger crowds than came.

they both = company investments

We compare them because the TEA/AECOM Theme Index Report itself compares them, and that report is a very important index for the business side of theme parks worldwide.

Follow the $. Every time a theme park company invests in their property, they hope to get a return on that investment.

As another poster said, it will be interesting to see the impact of SWGE when the 2019 TEA/AECOM Theme Index Report comes out. In the 2018TEA/AECOM report, HS was # 9. If HS jumps to #4 in the next report, it will be a big deal to TEA members.

The 2018 report predicts that SWGE will = a "massive" attendance increase for both HS and Disneyland in 2019.

The idea of comparing SWGE to HP came right out of the Themed Entrtainment Association itself, not from us.

I understand, of course, that theme parks will be compared, but TEA compares annually. The difference is that there are comparisons being drawn before SWGE has even been open for more than a few months and isn't even complete. Give it a year or three and the comparison will be more apples-to-apples. I mean, I think everyone knows that if you simply look at the numbers, Disney blows every other theme park out of the water.

I understand, of course, that theme parks will be compared, but TEA compares annually. The difference is that there are comparisons being drawn before SWGE has even been open for more than a few months and isn't even complete. Give it a year or three and the comparison will be more apples-to-apples. I mean, I think everyone knows that if you simply look at the numbers, Disney blows every other theme park out of the water.

Simply, this isn't what you said before. In your prior post. Earlier, you said comparing HP to SWGE is unfair because each was favored by different generational age groups.

Disney's competition is already studying the performance of SWGE, and comparing it to their own past and future plans. That is the nature of business.

That said, this is supposed to be a thread about the performance of SWGE, not other franchises. Multiple times we have been warned keep this discussion focused solely on the performance of SWGE.

Is SWGE making the kind of money Disney was expecting?

If enough people are spending money in HS, then the little SWGE design details discussed throughout this thread don't really matter all that much.

Last edited:
great question, and to stay on topic, what would you ask about Batuu / Galaxies Edge?

Im kinda curious about how much input Lucas Films has , or do they have any and is it totally 100% Disney

I know the Story Group was involved in the development of Galaxy's Edge, and they're basically responsible for the "story" of Batuu as it evolves through other media.

I always knew that building a Star Wars land would come with greater challenges compared to Harry Potter.

The HP universe was more condensed, consist of actual shops and restaurants that existed in books/movies had familiar foods and products. You get to experience the actual world that Harry Potter experienced all the way down to the details.

Even if GE had been based on stuff from the films, the problem with Star Wars is that it takes place in an entire galaxy. You travel to several new planets with every new film. It's not invested in little things such as shops or food items...you know stuff that Disney needs to make bank off of most with these types of lands.

To be fair, I thought that Disney's solution to this problem by creating a completely new planet to incorporate all thing Star Wars was a reasonable one that could have worked. I do think the poor reception of this current trilogy is a major factor. But also, Disney has put so many restrictions on the whole concept of "living your own adventure". Probably not a good idea to push this storyline of the Resistance and Jedi being in hiding. What is the point of buying lightsabers and costumes that you can't even use in the land itself?

We went back to Batuu for a 2nd time to see if our opinions changed. Mine remains the same.

DS (15) loves the land even better. He used the interactive app and had a great time exploring. Apparently, there were recent updates to the app, so if you used it before, you might notice some differences. For example, ds was ranked Pirate after riding Smuggler's Run.

DH thoroughly enjoyed everything to see in the standby line. He noticed details that I had no clue about.

We went during EEMH. It's the perfect time to be there! We arrived around 7:30am. There was no line for bag check. And we headed straight to Smuggler's Run. That queue began inside the building and was posted as 40 minutes, but took 30.

It would have been nice to find a cm or a link that explains how to use the app. Through trial and error ds figured most of it out eventually.

Not sure if this is new, or we just didn't see it the first time, but there is a play mat for the droids just off the walkway near the droid depot allowing droid builders the abilityo use their droids in the park. It's not a very big mat, but is plenty for a few droids. Also makes a great sales pitch seeing those droids in action.

We saw a few characters. Rey and Chewie did not interact with guests which was disappointing. In fact, they didn't acknowlege anyone's presence.

The first order officer and stormtroopers were great! They had a fairly long walk up to the stage and were interacting with guests. The officer had a Mic on and was very good at getting guest interaction. And had a good crowd develop around the stage.

I'm in no hurry to go back. DS is ready anytime to use the app. If he was allowed to go in costume, he'd be there everyday.

We spent around 2 hours in Galaxy's Edge.

We went back to Batuu for a 2nd time to see if our opinions changed. Mine remains the same.

DS (15) loves the land even better. He used the interactive app and had a great time exploring. Apparently, there were recent updates to the app, so if you used it before, you might notice some differences. For example, ds was ranked Pirate after riding Smuggler's Run.

DH thoroughly enjoyed everything to see in the standby line. He noticed details that I had no clue about.

We went during EEMH. It's the perfect time to be there! We arrived around 7:30am. There was no line for bag check. And we headed straight to Smuggler's Run. That queue began inside the building and was posted as 40 minutes, but took 30.

It would have been nice to find a cm or a link that explains how to use the app. Through trial and error ds figured most of it out eventually.

Not sure if this is new, or we just didn't see it the first time, but there is a play mat for the droids just off the walkway near the droid depot allowing droid builders the abilityo use their droids in the park. It's not a very big mat, but is plenty for a few droids. Also makes a great sales pitch seeing those droids in action.

We saw a few characters. Rey and Chewie did not interact with guests which was disappointing. In fact, they didn't acknowlege anyone's presence.

The first order officer and stormtroopers were great! They had a fairly long walk up to the stage and were interacting with guests. The officer had a Mic on and was very good at getting guest interaction. And had a good crowd develop around the stage.

I'm in no hurry to go back. DS is ready anytime to use the app. If he was allowed to go in costume, he'd be there everyday.

We spent around 2 hours in Galaxy's Edge.

I believe the droid mat is relatively new - like a week or so ago it appeared

Interesting point about someone to explain about the app. I also see comments feeling that they should have more instructions for riding Smuggler's Run as well - so perhaps the idea that "i don't know how to "do" this land" is a hindrance to people

Maybe they could have an area where you go and people explain things to you - either in character or not. Could help walk you through the app and just go over storyline more. Thinking like how they have the "Guest Experience Teams" in the parks now maybe they could have a "Guests of Batuu Experience Teams"

Just FWIW, the droid matt was there 10/11, so it’s at least been there since then or before. At the time is was up against the Droid Depot building, but at some point the following week was moved roughly across the pathway in front of the spaceship garage area.

There were lots of manager types out watching the area on 10/11 when we were using it to play with DD’s droid.

I didn’t see a mat anywhere on 10/28. I wasn’t really looking for it but I would have noticed if it was being used in an obvious location. It definitely wasn’t in front of the garage.

I believe the droid mat is relatively new - like a week or so ago it appeared

Interesting point about someone to explain about the app. I also see comments feeling that they should have more instructions for riding Smuggler's Run as well - so perhaps the idea that "i don't know how to "do" this land" is a hindrance to people

Maybe they could have an area where you go and people explain things to you - either in character or not. Could help walk you through the app and just go over storyline more. Thinking like how they have the "Guest Experience Teams" in the parks now maybe they could have a "Guests of Batuu Experience Teams"

A guests of Batuu Experience Team would be perfect!

I didn’t see a mat anywhere on 10/28. I wasn’t really looking for it but I would have noticed if it was being used in an obvious location. It definitely wasn’t in front of the garage.

It's right beside where the storm troopers go on the roof, across from Droid Depot and Rontos.
Resized_20191029_100758.jpeg

I like to watch what's being talked about by the fans. This one is very theatrical, but represents what Star Wars fans are talking about in regards to GE beyond Disboards.

Last edited:
We’ve all seen the stories declaring GE a failure, pointing to perceived lower crowd levels and wait times.

...and then Disney’s earnings came out today: DIS will open up today almost 6% after exceeding expectations easily on both the top and bottom line. Disney is fine, folks.

Specifically to GE, Bob Iger used the phrase “delayed attendance”- Disney believes, as many have predicted here, that people are just waiting until Rise opens.

What matters to TWDC. 4th quarter numbers are higher 8% for the parks, no loss in revenue despite hurricane Dorian effect here at WDW https://www.wdwinfo.com/news-storie...d-results-higher-revenue-across-all-segments/
Yes! And you know what's aggravating? People saying that Dorian was not even an event. That is true, it didn't amount to much but it did make a lot of people cancel their vacations. So while it didn't affect us while we were there, the possibility of it did cause many people to postpone trips. I imagine that was a decent amount of money and a significant loss to earnings. Anytime a large amount of money is spent on building something new I would expect the initial financials would have shown closer to a break-even scenario and it did not. I don't see that as a "failure" :confused3

We’ve all seen the stories declaring GE a failure, pointing to perceived lower crowd levels and wait times.

...and then Disney’s earnings came out today: DIS will open up today almost 6% after exceeding expectations easily on both the top and bottom line. Disney is fine, folks.

Specifically to GE, Bob Iger used the phrase “delayed attendance”- Disney believes, as many have predicted here, that people are just waiting until Rise opens.
I thought the earnings report was very good for Disney. I’m sure there was some champagne in the board room! The report did note that attendance fell again in DL (I couldn’t find the info on WDW), and that the higher earnings were due to higher ticket prices, higher prices on food and merchandise, and greater customer spending. I guess all those $200 lightsabers did their job! Disney might have found the magic spot on the bell curve where prices got high enough to reduce demand, while still increasing profits. I’m very interested to see how things go after ROTR, but the report bodes well for Disney’s investment in SWGE.

ETA: Oops, this comment probably should have gone in the “performance and evolution” discussion. yullilin, please move if appropriate!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!