FYI Annual Pass Sales Halted

I moved to Florida in 2019, but wasn't financially ready to buy passes before COVID hit. You won't get any sympathy from me unless this "pause" lasts a couple years, especially since there's still a level of pass available.
Website says the Florida resident passes are the only ones still available.

Right? Everyone keeps talking about Universal... but it's just not the same. I'm a Disney fan. Maybe I need to give UO another chance.
I actually started watching Harry Potter movies with my daughter during the pandemic to cultivate an interest in Universal. We went back this summer for the first time in 17 years and really enjoyed it. We're splitting time between Disney and Universal on our upcoming trip.

I have a friend who explained it really well. She loves Disney more. But she has more fun at Universal. It's a much more care free experience.

I'm so frustrated by this. Saturday night and Sunday morning i checked the AP prices and park reservation availability, and seeing that my dates were all available for reservations (we're going the first 2 weeks of dec, when it's not that busy), Sunday afternoon i booked a non-refundable airbnb for a hefty chunk of change. Then i tried to purchase the APs and they were suddenly no longer available. So now we have an airbnb very close to WDW but no park tickets. 😞

It doesn't make sense for us to buy individual tickets for each of our four planned trips, so now we are going to cancel one, possibly cancel a second, and spend this Dec time at universal and other local parks and attractions. We have to keep our Jan trip because we're going with friends, but that will be it.

I thought about calling and explaining the airbnb situation and seeing if i could get an exception, but decided it was ridiculous to beg disney to take my $2800. Instead, we will vacation elsewhere.

This is the time I really wish I liked Universal.
Right? Everyone keeps talking about Universal... but it's just not the same. I'm a Disney fan. Maybe I need to give UO another chance.
I actually started watching Harry Potter movies with my daughter during the pandemic to cultivate an interest in Universal. We went back this summer for the first time in 17 years and really enjoyed it. We're splitting time between Disney and Universal on our upcoming trip.

I have a friend who explained it really well. She loves Disney more. But she has more fun at Universal. It's a much more care free experience.

I look at them as yes, they are both "fruit" but they are "apples & oranges". The minute you stop trying to compare them, you can then enjoy Universal for what it is. Do I love it like Disney? No. Do I feel like it's home like Disney? No. Do I have a relationship with it's "characters/IPS"? For the most part no, though I love dinosaurs! 🦖

We didn't go until our youngest wanted to go, no sense wasting money if she wouldn't ride anything. We had a great time. Myself and two sons have had APs off and on, currently we all have them because entire family went to Orlando in July and DD wanted to go to ALL the parks. DS2 had an AP and made sense for DS1 and I to buy rather than tickets since we go regularly to Orlando.

I've not read a HP book, I had not seen the movies but from the minute those lands were build I was so impressed. This summer DH and I watched all the movies so he would be ready and I learned so much about what I had enjoyed there. The detail and quality of those lands is IMPRESSIVE!

They have some great rides, more thrill rides, some meh rides, a few kid rides and don't rely on shows or characters. They depend on quick service and the lines for food is horrid. Both in July and November I really felt they have dropped the ball on food service. NOW the food is good, sometimes better and bigger portions than Disney, but the lines .....

If you like thrill the Velosicoaster is a whole new level! and Hagrids! Thrill and creativity hard to beat. I'm still figuring out the ins and outs there, but we do have fun, a different kind of fun but that's okay.

NOW while Disney has done their best to alienate people, and guests are feeling a bit put off with spending at Disney - NOW is the time to give Universal that chance, and any other parks. Just go in with an open mind that it is it's own experience and not to be compared. Disney will always be there.

I'm so frustrated by this. Saturday night and Sunday morning i checked the AP prices and park reservation availability, and seeing that my dates were all available for reservations (we're going the first 2 weeks of dec, when it's not that busy), Sunday afternoon i booked a non-refundable airbnb for a hefty chunk of change. Then i tried to purchase the APs and they were suddenly no longer available. So now we have an airbnb very close to WDW but no park tickets. 😞

It doesn't make sense for us to buy individual tickets for each of our four planned trips, so now we are going to cancel one, possibly cancel a second, and spend this Dec time at universal and other local parks and attractions. We have to keep our Jan trip because we're going with friends, but that will be it.

I thought about calling and explaining the airbnb situation and seeing if i could get an exception, but decided it was ridiculous to beg disney to take my $2800. Instead, we will vacation elsewhere.

Christmas at SeaWorld is the best, beautiful at night!

Also check this out https://www.gktw.org/lights/

This is just showing that there is too much demand and not enough supply. Disney needs to get a handle on this. They can start by increasing/restoring offerings and hours to at least get the parks back to pre-Covid operations. After that, expansion is going to become necessary. There is really no way around it at this point.
I think Disney's answer is to raise the prices. It is quick and easy . Less guest that can come , afford to come , is the future.

I think Disney's answer is to raise the prices. It is quick and easy . Less guest that can come , afford to come , is the future.

Disney needs the per head spending. Ticket sales alone do not make for profits.

Thank you for this! We did GKTW last year and loved it. We also happened to check sea world today and saw there is a black friday sale on tickets that seems pretty good, but the weekend tix with the Christmas lights and fireworks were $20 more each so we were trying to decide if it's worth it. I guess we're saving so much by not getting the APs we should just do it! 😁

As for universal, i always liked it ok but didn't love it until we did the Orlando Informer Meetup after hours last year. It was fabulous and we're going again for 2 nights this trip. If you are at all night owls, i would recommend it. Super low crowds and all you can eat food and snacks, as well as major hotel discounts (we're in one of their deluxe-equivalent resorts for $165/night). I still don't think a universal AP would ever be worth it to me, but the after hours event is great. Disney is really the only place i can go over and over and over without getting bored, though, which is why I'm so bummed about the AP.

Thank you for this! We did GKTW last year and loved it. We also happened to check sea world today and saw there is a black friday sale on tickets that seems pretty good, but the weekend tix with the Christmas lights and fireworks were $20 more each so we were trying to decide if it's worth it. I guess we're saving so much by not getting the APs we should just do it! 😁

As for universal, i always liked it ok but didn't love it until we did the Orlando Informer Meetup after hours last year. It was fabulous and we're going again for 2 nights this trip. If you are at all night owls, i would recommend it. Super low crowds and all you can eat food and snacks, as well as major hotel discounts (we're in one of their deluxe-equivalent resorts for $165/night). I still don't think a universal AP would ever be worth it to me, but the after hours event is great. Disney is really the only place i can go over and over and over without getting bored, though, which is why I'm so bummed about the AP.

I’ve done the Orlando Informer meetup twice. We did one of their first and it was great, started with a presentation from one of Universal’s top creative guys. Number of people there quite low. The next one was much bigger and they started us in IOA, not quite as good as the first one. But def a huge value compared to Disney After Hours. Both event catered - I understand a bit different now, but I assume still all you can drink butter beer. 😋

And if you’ve never done Discovery Cove our December day was much better than all our hot weather days. The lagoons don’t feel cold at all when the air is cooler.

Last edited:
For those of you about Universal. Universal treats their AP member better. Ap appreciation months, extra months added once in awhile when you renew. Last renew, I was informed it was a 15 month pass. I have a preferred.. Great discounts and Universal seems to care and want my business. I also get discounts at Starbucks due to my ap on Universal property. Plus most food options and merch get a discount.

And it doesn't make my bank account scream.

The only Disney thing I'm planning on keeping is Disney +, at this point I'm planning to drop my AP. We are looking into trips to Dollywood and Colonial Williamsburg. The APs there are reasonable. And we can take that Disney money and use it to go on other trips

Last edited:
For those of you about Universal. Universal treats their AP member better. Ap appreciation months, extra months added once in awhile when you renew. Last renew, I was informed it was a 15 month pass. I have a preferred.. Great discounts and Universal seems to care and want my business. I also get discounts at Starbucks due to my ap on Universal property. Plus most food options and merch get a discount.

And it doesn't make my bank account scream.

The only Disney thing I'm planning on keeping is Disney +, at this point I'm planning to drop my AP. We are looking into trips to Dollywood and Colonial Williamsburg. The APs there are reasonable. And we can take that Disney money and use it to go on other trips

Busch Gardens Williamsburg is amazing. I’ve been a pass holder since 2013, we like to call it Epcot lite because it scratches a similar itch!

Busch Gardens Williamsburg is amazing. I’ve been a pass holder since 2013, we like to call it Epcot lite because it scratches a similar itch!

Really. I've always wondered. Last time we went my sister and I were teens, But my parents were always like, We can go to Busch Gardens at home. It looks really lovely from the videos I've watched on Youtube. Is there a lot to do if you don't care for Coasters? I have been to the one in Tampa.

I had fun there when we went, but it's not enough to get me to Orlando on its own. I'll just do more Europe trips.

Really. I've always wondered. But my parents were always like, We can go to Busch Gardens at home. It looks really lovely from the videos I've watched on Youtube

I’ve never been to the Florida one but I love that is is themed to European countries, the foliage is unbelievable, the coasters are top notch and the shows are SO good. Some pretty outstanding food options as well, especially during food and wine! And their Halloween event is a can’t miss for me. Can’t recommend the park as a whole enough.

I look at them as yes, they are both "fruit" but they are "apples & oranges". The minute you stop trying to compare them, you can then enjoy Universal for what it is. Do I love it like Disney? No. Do I feel like it's home like Disney? No. Do I have a relationship with it's "characters/IPS"? For the most part no, though I love dinosaurs! 🦖

We didn't go until our youngest wanted to go, no sense wasting money if she wouldn't ride anything. We had a great time. Myself and two sons have had APs off and on, currently we all have them because entire family went to Orlando in July and DD wanted to go to ALL the parks. DS2 had an AP and made sense for DS1 and I to buy rather than tickets since we go regularly to Orlando.

I've not read a HP book, I had not seen the movies but from the minute those lands were build I was so impressed. This summer DH and I watched all the movies so he would be ready and I learned so much about what I had enjoyed there. The detail and quality of those lands is IMPRESSIVE!

They have some great rides, more thrill rides, some meh rides, a few kid rides and don't rely on shows or characters. They depend on quick service and the lines for food is horrid. Both in July and November I really felt they have dropped the ball on food service. NOW the food is good, sometimes better and bigger portions than Disney, but the lines .....

If you like thrill the Velosicoaster is a whole new level! and Hagrids! Thrill and creativity hard to beat. I'm still figuring out the ins and outs there, but we do have fun, a different kind of fun but that's okay.

NOW while Disney has done their best to alienate people, and guests are feeling a bit put off with spending at Disney - NOW is the time to give Universal that chance, and any other parks. Just go in with an open mind that it is it's own experience and not to be compared. Disney will always be there.

I've been to Universal about 3-4 times and I'm just not a big fan. I'm also not a thrill ride fan so I don't generally ride those and DH will most certainly not. SDD is just about in the ballpark of what I will ride. I have to say though I AM DEFINITELY interested in visiting SeaWorld again though. I've only done that once and that was many years ago.

Last edited:
We make yearly Disney trips and have only been to Universal once, in 2018. Very often, I find myself looking back fondly on those two days we spent there. It's different in the best way, and I'd love to go back.
Also, cheaper!

Last edited:
I've been to Universal about 3-4 times and I'm just not a big fan. I'm also not a thrill ride fan so I don't generally ride those and DH will most certainly not. SDD is just about in the ballpark of what I will ride. I have to say though I AM DEFINITELY interested in visiting SeaWorld again though. I've only done that once and that was many years ago.

I totally understand. I do think their market is a much different market from Disney's. It is why I say don't compare the two. If one is looking for Disney there, they won't find it and visa versa. It certainly is not everyone's cup of tea.

I love Sea World too, I just wish there wasn't so much walking. Now Discovery Cove, love love that place. It is a real escape.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter