Future resorts

Cfabar1

DIS Veteran
Does Disney have any plans to build more off property resorts or any more California resorts? I’m wondering if they have any current options on land.

A ski resort would be awesome. Or a resort in the mountains of NC. Still wishing they’d build an NYC DVC given the big presence on broadway.

Nothing that is publicly known. In the past, they've abandoned at least two different non-Park locations: Newport, CA (now a Marriott Vacation Club property) and National Harbor, MD. I don't think anyone has developed the National Harbor property (it's not a great location, pretty far from the water.)

https://yesterland.com/ncv.html
https://yesterland.com/harbor.html

I think it is unlikely that DVC will ever have a significant non-Park presence. If any non-Park locations are developed, they are likely to be in locations that can organically support very high nightly rates. Without that baseline demand, it's hard to make the DVC model work. There aren't many places other than WDW (and Hawaii) where hotel rooms are ordinarily $500/night and up.

The other kind of place that comes to mind that can support those kinds of nightly rates are major ski resorts. But those are highly seasonal, and not year-round destinations.

NYC could work, but land there is VERY expensive---and (relatively) cheap land is also part of the DVC model. The non-Park locations are generally in "lesser" locations. Vero is a very sleepy beach town, and a little too far north to be a real snowbird destination. HHI is on the wrong (inner) side of the road ringing the island. Ko 'Olina is off the main Honoluul/Waikiki drag, and also a bit out by itself. I don't know how you make Manhattan work. It would either have to be ridiculously high in terms of points needed (see: Club Wyndham Midtown 45) or have extremely high Dues (see: Manhattan Club), or both.

Last edited:
Nothing has been mentioned regarding it…all we know right now is Poly tower and FW cabins.

Does Disney have any plans to build more off property resorts or any more California resorts? I’m wondering if they have any current options on land.

A ski resort would be awesome. Or a resort in the mountains of NC. Still wishing they’d build an NYC DVC given the big presence on broadway.
It’s very often pointed out that a lot of DVC owners would love to stay in a resort in the locations you mention, but relatively few would likely want to buy there and have it as a home resort.

If you’d like to own a timeshare in one of those locations, consider a resale in a different system, like Marriott or Wyndham. Lots cheaper than DVC! Do some reading on the TUG forums, https://tugbbs.com/forums/

Although I haven't seen any mention of one, I do wish. I, too, would like to see Disney's next resort be somewhere in the Northern half of the US (Colorado springs to mind-skiing in the winter, outdoor activities in the summer). Sweating to death in the summer is getting to me (partly because I live in a climate that's hotter than Orlando). If I had my way, I'd have Disney build one in northern New York (maybe the Adirondacks), Maine-perhaps Acadia NP area, or Montana.

It’s very often pointed out that a lot of DVC owners would love to stay in a resort in the locations you mention, but relatively few would likely want to buy there and have it as a home resort.
I was thinking about this earlier, but one way around this is to have a "home" resort be small pieces of larger resorts in many different locations. But, that means Disney would want to have a non-trivial presence in many different locations, all without an attached theme park.

I don't see it, but that's just me.

It's me, too. I think the slow sales at the three non-park resorts may have convinced the decision makers at Disney Vacation Development that developing a robust timeshare system, with resorts in many non-park locations, is not their area of expertise.

I was thinking about this earlier, but one way around this is to have a "home" resort be small pieces of larger resorts in many different locations. But, that means Disney would want to have a non-trivial presence in many different locations, all without an attached theme park.

Well. I guess if DVC ever did a portfolio system that would be doable. Where you just held the points in trust.

If we're telling DVD where to build the next resort, I'm going to say Vegas. Disney currently has no presence there, so it may interest some buyers. And they could even go with only studios just for parents to get away from their kids.

If we're telling DVD where to build the next resort, I'm going to say Vegas. Disney currently has no presence there, so it may interest some buyers. And they could even go with only studios just for parents to get away from their kids.
IMO, the "theming" of Vegas and Disney just doesn't jive. Perhaps in the 80's when Vegas tried to market towards families. But not so much these days.

IMO, the "theming" of Vegas and Disney just doesn't jive. Perhaps in the 80's when Vegas tried to market towards families. But not so much these days.
Well, people are currently freaking-out because D+ is trying to add more adult-themed content, so why not Vegas?

No way, they are looking to sell HHI and Vero as soon as they expire I bet. Dont think they even keep those two.

Aulani on the other hand, lot longer to go but by all accounts they make bank renting it out, so dont see it getting sold off.

But I'd highly doubt they ever build a location not near DL/DCA or WDW again.

Well, people are currently freaking-out because D+ is trying to add more adult-themed content, so why not Vegas?
I don't disagree with you there. But building a new resort with very little market potential might not be a good business move. If adults want to get away from their kids to go off to Vegas, why would they go to a Disney resort when there are hundreds of other, better "adult" options. DVC's biggest advantage is being in the Disney bubble. In a place like Vegas, it would die. But that's just my opinion.

The trend is for. DVC to expand at an established Disney resort. DVC pays for the upgrades at the resort so resorts LOVE them coming.

I think Aulani killed the plan for any plans for a non WDW or DLAND location. Way to risky.

To the contrary, Aulani is not a failure and I don't think Disney's decision for future resorts will be based on Aulani's perceived failure. Aulani is always filled to capacity booked with cash stays. Disney is making hand-over-fist selling rack rate cash rooms. Yes Aulani DVC has not sold out in over a decade. But the resort also has almost 12 million points, which is a close second to Saratoga Springs, which is actually located in the WDW bubble. I just finished a stay over the weekend. It was 100% booked according to CM at check in when I asked for a room request. And the Japanese and other foreign tourists haven't even returned yet. Disney is perfectly ok not ever selling out Aulani IMO. And I believe if they can replicate this kind of "success" elsewhere, I believe they would try.

No way, they are looking to sell HHI and Vero as soon as they expire I bet. Dont think they even keep those two.

Aulani on the other hand, lot longer to go but by all accounts they make bank renting it out, so dont see it getting sold off.

But I'd highly doubt they ever build a location not near DL/DCA or WDW again.
HHI stays booked year round since pandemic and is only 100 rooms.

Not sure about VB.

Does Disney have any plans to build more off property resorts or any more California resorts?

It only took them like 10-15 years to get the greenlight for this hotel in CA. From what I hear the city is super easy to work with there and will gladly give them a new tower for a 50% nightly tax on the rooms lol.

no no no no no no no no no no no

There is a reason why DVC holds value and continues to hold value and it has nothing to do with a dime a dozen timeshare location where you can easily find other rooms for around the same price and likely in a better location.

If they start showing off 1 or 2 of these non Park locations and I am likely getting out of DVC and going back to renting.

Now if Disney did a new park in the Northern US and did a DVC along side of that then I would be all on board. Not just essentially another timeshare/hotel that everywhere I always look I can find deals on via Booking/Airbnb/ect.

How about a "Frozen" themed Disney resort in a Ski destination? 🤣

If its an actual park that people go to visit and they have a whole mountain area to themselves (no other resorts around) then absolutely do it.

You would need it to be a real park though not just a ski park but one with rides and such that would make it obviously year round with a separate ski area.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter