Full Length Feature Attractions

lrodk

<font color=009900>No one is immune to the TF's in
Amusementpark.com has an article which addresses Disney's possible forray into pay-per-use full feature attractions.

While this earlier concept may have been abandoned by Disney, it's ironic that it took SeawWorld's very bold, and I might add successful, move into this premium space(ala Discovery Cove) to serve as the catalyst to get companies like Disney and Universal to reconsider the whole idea.

Just pray that DiscoveryCove continues to pack them in, as they've been doing since last July. Their success will ensure similar type of venues/attractions at our most beloved parks in the not too distant future.

Here's the link to the entire article:

http://www.amusementpark.com/ap/archive/hill/H2001/04/04230101_hill.html

Here comes instant fastpass add ons......

I'd love to see anyone tell me Eisner would pass on this type of revenue generator.....

HBK:
I'm not sure I understand how Disney building a high priced, limited admission attraction/park like Discovery Cove would lead to the "instant Fastpass" concept at WDW parks.
Could you explain?

The whole “attention span” thing really bugs me because it’s such a big lie. The research shows that people don’t mind long attractions – they just mind long, boring attractions. No one has been clamoring to jump off ‘Pirates’ after the five minute mark, have they?

This whole trend started as way to rationalize the smaller budgets and to shift blame for some failed attractions. After all, it can’t be that Clinton’s speech in the ‘Hall of Presidents’ was uninteresting drivel placed in there just to score corporate points in Washington and totally lacking in any educational or entertainment purpose– no, it must be that commercials have ruined America’s attention span!

Anyway, the debate in Disney right now is between a separately gated “premium” park and a “premium” attraction within the existing parks. The problem with a park concept is that Disney economics are based on a mass audience. People just don’t associate “Disney” with a $300 per day experience (the Sea World park is seen as a “dolphin encounter” first, and a “Sea World” park second). Also, the colossal failure of Eisner’s “The Disney Institute” has really made the company skittish about anything outside of a traditional theme park. Besides trying to buy a brand name from someone else to offset some of the risk (the failed ‘Myst’-park project), the best that’s come out is a high-end water park and close clone of the Sea World complex.

Disney hasn’t had any more luck with “additional cost” items in the park either, from dinner theaters to storytelling sessions. A “premium ride” in an existing theme park probably couldn’t charge more than $20 per session. Any ticket price more than that would require an attraction so special that that the huge development costs would never produce a return acceptable for Eisner’s bonus. And even at $20 per person, you’d have to run so many people through it in a hour that the attraction just wouldn’t be “special” anymore. Rather than charging a few people a lot of money to go on one ride, it’s better the charge a lot of people a small amount of money to go on a lot of rides. Hence, a “premium” Fast Pass” by year’s end.

Besides, the real money comes from the hotels <evil grin>

So if I understand correctly, the "enhanced Fastpass" would come about if Disney doesn't build a Discovery Cove type park?

I'll come either way!!! Just look at their bottom line thinking history. If it'll make them a couple extra bucks, and not detract too much from the magic in the short term, they'll do it!!:bounce:

Don't ya just love the way it bounces?!:bounce:

Thank Another Voice for reminding me about this “attention span” issue. When I read the article I was struck by this comment and thought it worthy of some debate. If true than it would seem to have big implications on future attraction designs.

I thought Disney attractions 101 was trying to tell a story, or trying to transport the participant to another place and time. Short ride times means little story development and little emersion in a new world. Gee, I always thought when reading a good book or seeing a good movie that I sure hope it doesn’t end soon. Has the avearge run-time of books and movies really gotten that much shorter?

Yes, there is more risk in building longer running attractions. Bigger problems if they aren’t well received, but to me big rewards for the guest if they are entertaining. Also, a differentiating factor that makes the Disney experience different that the Six Flags experience.

From just a logistical stand-point why do I want to run from one 4 minute attraction line to another 4 minute attraction line. I’d rather be immersed in a longer story and not fighting thru exit gift shops, and past food carts. Hmmm, now I get it.

Originally posted by HorizonsFan
So if I understand correctly, the "enhanced Fastpass" would come about if Disney doesn't build a Discovery Cove type park?

Simple. If Discovery cove continues to have success attracting those who are willing to pay premium pricing for their entertainment purposes, Disney will want to muscle in on that business.

How do they do it?

They take a current system (Fastpass) and enhance it. very little overhead to create a new revenue flow.

They charge $100 / day in addittion to your park hoppers. You put your ticket into the machine and it grants you immediate access to the fast pass line.

When I see articles describing Disney execs frothing at the mouth like a rabid dog when looking at the success Seaworld is having with DC, I know this isn't too far away.

How successful is Discovery Cove? I just made reservations for July but, according to their web booking system, we could go almost any day between now and August.

They can't even sell 1,000 admissions per day? Is that success?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!