Fuel Rods

wendlle

Aussie Wendy
Does anyone use Fuel rods?
I have some packs that I usually bring, but I think for this trip Fuel Rods might be a better option. I've done a bit of reading and think they are a pretty good deal.
Are they still available at the WDW parks?
I went to their website and can see they are available at the Universal and Seaworld parks but not WDW but I'm sure I've been reading they have kiosks at the WDW parks.

How many kiosks are in each park?
I think I'm better off buying one before we go and then swapping them out once there (might be a little cheaper)
Their website says there might be a "small fee" for "some locations" anyone know if this includes the theme parks?

Fuel rods are still available at the parks and resorts. You can search for ‘fuel rod’ within the MDE app, and it brings up their locations. See example.

Not trying to persuade you, but I personally don’t have an interest in Fuel Rods. I thought they were $30. I can buy two similar batteries for the same $30. I think the Fuel Rods are only beneficial for bloggers/vloggers at the park that are basically making continuous use of video cameras, digital camera, and phones.

I’m on MDE quite a bit during park visits trying to get FastPasses, and I may need one back up battery for that at most (usually none), in which my $15 battery is sufficient since I can recharge at night in the room. Your specific need may require the immediate ability to swap out Fuel Rods multiple times per day though. Worst case, you buy one and you’re out $30.

I used them for the first time a couple months ago. Bought a used one ahead of time off ebay for like $15. Mine didn't come with the little cord, so if you go that route, either make sure the cord is included, or make sure you bring your own. I brought my own with me. I charged the fuel rod before I left for the park the first day. I have an iPhone XS. The Fuel Rod got me through a "full charge"* from about 20%. I had noted ahead of time where the swap locations were, and when I happened to be near one, I then quickly swapped it out no problem. Phone didn't need charging at the moment, so I used it later on when I needed to charge. Something I will say - the battery did get kind of warm at times, but then again it was hot out. I think if the battery is too warm, it won't charge as quickly. *Also, some phones have a slow trickle charge once you pass like 90ish percent. You're best just not trying to go to 100% each time. This overall was much improved from my heavy Anker brick charger, as I was wearing a fanny pack (I usually bring a shoulder purse or a small backpack), and space was limited.

Going on 3rd trip using them. Worth the money we got 2 and use them atleast 1 time a day and change them out in the morning. Big phones tho.

The 3$ fee is not inside WDW yet

We like the fuel rods. But then we had three phones and two mini fans. Something always needed charging. Every time we passed a kiosk, we swapped out the unit.

I bought mine directly from the fuel rod website because it was cheaper than getting it at WDW. I have other chargers, but I exclusively use fuel rods on my WDW trips. The MDE app plus the Play app have a tendency to really suck up my battery (I have an older iPhone). I really like the convenience of being able to swap rods when needed.

Whats the point? Looks like its a very small capacity battery from reading its roughly 1000 mAh but maybe that is incorrect because they don't actually share their specs it seems.

On the flip side I can buy a 10,000 or 20,000 mAh battery pack for $20-$30. You could easily recharge a couple phones and fans with that size of battery.

To clarify an iPhone has a 3k mAh internal battery meaning a 10k battery pack would roughly charge it over 3 times. Samsung is between 3.5k and 4.5k depending on the model. So again charging it between 2 and 3 times.

Whats the point? Looks like its a very small capacity battery from reading its roughly 1000 mAh but maybe that is incorrect because they don't actually share their specs it seems.

On the flip side I can buy a 10,000 or 20,000 mAh battery pack for $20-$30. You could easily recharge a couple phones and fans with that size of battery.

To clarify an iPhone has a 3k mAh internal battery meaning a 10k battery pack would roughly charge it over 3 times. Samsung is between 3.5k and 4.5k depending on the model. So again charging it between 2 and 3 times.

For me, the point is that it is tiny, easy to slip into pocket and I don't have to worry about charging it. When it's just DH and I , we go bagless. For the room or the airport, I use the brick that weighs around 12 -16 oz . Doesn't sound like much, but I wouldn't want to carry it all day .

Now when we go with kids and grandkids, we could carry a brick with the strollers, but still do fine with just the fuel rod.

I have two now. I bought my first one during my DCP and genuinely don't know how I would have survived without it. Super small and easy to carry around, and more and more locations to buy/swap are popping up around the parks which makes it so convenient to change them when you need more battery. Honestly don't know if I could make a 12-14 hour park day work without mine!

For me, the point is that it is tiny, easy to slip into pocket and I don't have to worry about charging it. When it's just DH and I , we go bagless. For the room or the airport, I use the brick that weighs around 12 -16 oz . Doesn't sound like much, but I wouldn't want to carry it all day .

Now when we go with kids and grandkids, we could carry a brick with the strollers, but still do fine with just the fuel rod.

If you want something smaller there are a ton of extremely small and cheap options out there which would fit the needs.

Example an Insignia 5k mAh powerbank that is 4.8 ounces.

If you want something smaller there are a ton of extremely small and cheap options out there which would fit the needs.

The answer's there in the numbers: the smaller the battery, the less charge you get out of it. I have a large "brick" and a smaller charger myself, and I always waffle over which to bring because of the tradeoff: the big one is (mildly) annoying to carry, but the small one requires me to ration my battery because it just can't keep recharging and recharging like the brick does. So the point of the fuel rod (from my perspective) is that you lose the downsides of both options: you're not carrying a big, heavy brick, but you also don't have to worry about it running out midday. That's why I'm considering getting one even though I already own two other external batteries. I'm still kind of leaning toward just sucking it up and carrying the brick, though; I definitely see the benefit of the fuel rod but I don't know that it's enough benefit to sell me on it.

I love my fuel rod. I bought it to keep my phone charged when I ran the half marathon at Princess 2 years ago and it got me through the 13.1 miles and fit nicely in the pocket of my running skirt along with my phone. I like that you can charge it from a wall outlet as well so I keep it charged and use it at home. The kiosks work well when I am in the parks and can exchange it quickly and easily. One of the best purchases I have made for $30.

I got a fuel rod on this last trip and do not regret it. The apps use a ton of battery now and I stay on them constantly getting day of FP+ reservations. I do not take a pack with me I want to travel light. This fits conveniently in the pocket and when it's dead I just trade it out.

We use fuel rods and love them. They come with Apple, android, and the new google phones adapters. Our family has all 3 of these phones and we can all use the fuel rods. We are all able to just bring one into the park with us for everyone to use because we can just keep swapping them out. We travel with as little as possible so this works great. I usually just slip it into my pocket. Of course there are cheaper chargers, but you don't have the convenience of swapping them out so as often as you want during the day and you don't have to remember to charge it over night so that you have it the next day. All of the parks have several swapping stations and most of the resorts have them. For some reason, Saratoga Springs resort does not. But Disney Springs does have a swapping station.

Yes, but when it runs out of power , then what? I'm just guessing but I would think the 5 K one would recharge a phone maybe twice???? Last trip with family, we used one fuel rod with four phones and three fans. To me, it's just one less thing I have to remember to do (no charging at night). And I don't know how many times, I thought I plugged in a phone and didn't have the connection right.

Yes, but when it runs out of power , then what? I'm just guessing but I would think the 5 K one would recharge a phone maybe twice???? Last trip with family, we used one fuel rod with four phones and three fans. To me, it's just one less thing I have to remember to do (no charging at night). And I don't know how many times, I thought I plugged in a phone and didn't have the connection right.

The fuel rod wouldn't even recharge my phone fully though.... A 5k mAh which is the small ones has 5x the charging capability a 10k mAh would be 10x and the 20k mAh which is what you would think of as a power brick would be like going back and exchanging the fuel rod 20 times.

Fuel Rod is a great idea I just personally wouldn't need it even with 4 cells, 1 hotspot, and 3 fans in the park. If you take a bunch of your own pictures and videos I could see why you need it though like someone state about video bloggers.

I will say this. My phone chargers are all together in my kitchen on a tray on the buffet. It’s always the fuel rod that I slip into my purse. In the parks, I normally have both in my pack. One to use - one to share. If I get caught in the parks or boarding a plane (I always watch a film on my iPad) I can trade out the fuel rod for a full charge. It just works for me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter