FSA "Windfall"...what can I use it on?

Backstory...bear with me...it is pertinent...

DD13 started her orthodontia treatment last year. DH and I both carry dental insurance on her with mine being primary and DH's being secondary. We had a payment plan set up which resulted in us still owing $1200 ($100/month) for 2017. Knowing this, I set up a FSA from my employer during open enrollment last year which would receive the $1200. We haven't used an FSA in the past because our annual physicals and well-child exams, along with all of our prophylactic dental expenses are covered.

DD13 was born with 2 congenitally absent teeth meaning that she will need dental implants by the time she is about 18. The orthodontic work began last year, but since we knew it was going to be pricey, I opted to change our plan for 2017. We went from a "silver" to a "gold" plan which essentially doubled our orthodontic coverage and will pay 50% for her implants when she eventually needs them.

So...when we went in for her appointment at the beginning of May, I mentioned that I'd received a bill from them showing that I owed around $800. I wanted to make sure that we were still on their payment plan of $100/month. When the receptionist pulled up our account, she said that our TOTAL outstanding balance was $186.02! It should have been $800 since I'd only paid $400 of the $1200 we still owed. She said that they re-submitted the claim to my insurance when I changed the coverage level and that was the amount remaining after they paid.

I was stunned...but I happily handed her my FSA debit card and paid off our entire balance. Now, I have a bit of a predicament...we still have $673.98 left in our FSA. I am now on a prescription that costs $10/month. Other than that, we have no OOP expenses, barring any unscheduled office visit ($20) or ER visit ($100). So what can I get with my $600 that's left in my FSA??? Obviously, I won't be using it until December, just in case we have an emergency of some sort, but I would like to plan ahead.
My physical therapist wrote a prescription for free weights and i used my money towards that. Exercise ball, exercise band.

We can't roll over, but we can expense through March 31st services for the previous years account as long as the paperwork is in by the end of June.

My plan lets me roll over $500. Anything over that is lost. Check your policy before you do anything.

Know anyone with a kid that uses pull-ups? Those can be purchased with your FSA at Walgreens.

Know anyone with a kid that uses pull-ups? Those can be purchased with your FSA at Walgreens.
interesting. I don't have little kids but its good to know. Now I'm curious what other things are covered that I don't know about. I wish pads for periods were covered.

Would love to hear what else is covered of items that aren't posted on the basic list

My Dr. wrote me a letter so fitness membership will be covered.

DD will be leaving for college in August so I'll get her a first aide kit for her dorm room- those are covered

Get a hot tub with it. For muscle relaxation or back pain if you have it. Costco has some for $2000. Can you take a stress release trip to Disney lol?

We have large amount left in our FSA since we didn't need the dental work we thought we would. I looked at the list and it says massages. Does that mean I can go to Hershey Spa and submit my receipt for reimbursement? Has anyone used it for this expense? We are federal employees so our FSA is under them.

We have large amount left in our FSA since we didn't need the dental work we thought we would. I looked at the list and it says massages. Does that mean I can go to Hershey Spa and submit my receipt for reimbursement? Has anyone used it for this expense? We are federal employees so our FSA is under them.

No, you won't get reimbursement for just any massage. You need to have a qualified medical condition and basically get a prescription for a massage to treat the condition.

http://www.investopedia.com/ask/answers/112315/does-flexible-spending-account-fsa-cover-massages.asp

If we have anything left over at the end of the year then I go shopping at the fsastore.com for things to stock up in the house.

I just got a cpap machine so I'm submitting my co-pay. I'm going to see if I can submit aria nasal gel for nose irritation from the nasal pillow. I read its help so it doesn't irritate my nose. I also have to pay about $9 a month for the machine so FSA should cover the machine and monthly fee for 13 months. I'm hoping it will cover the nasal gel and distilled water without Dr. note. Last time I got an over the counter nasal rinse I bought a water of distilled water and it covered it. Not sure if I just got lucky-lol!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter