From America To DLP the big FAQ Thread- See First Post

BadPinkTink

Republic of Ireland is not part of UK
*** MOD REQUEST COULD THIS BE MADE A STICKY****
I've been noticing over the last while the same questions are being asked over and over, so maybe it might be a good idea to put all the info into one post and make it a sticky

What is Disneyland Paris like compared to Disneyland California and Walt Disney World Florida?
Disneyland Paris is a smaller more condensed version of Disneyland California. There are 2 parks, Disneyland and Disney Studios. The two parks are beside each other and it is possible to park hop multiple times in the day

What are the unique rides and attractions in Disneyland Paris that are not in Disneyland California and Walt Disney World Florida?

Disneyland

The Castle is a different shape and has an upper walk through section and a dragon underneath
Pirates of the Caribbean is different and does not have Jack Sparrow or any additions from the film
Haunted Mansion is called Phantom Manor and has a different storyline
Indiana Jones is a themed roller-coaster
Space Mountain has 3 inversions so nothing like the US ones - added by Carrie_Cat ;)

Disney Studios

Crush Coaster
Ratatouille

I don't speak French, will I still be able to enjoy the rides and shows?
Disneyland Paris tries to be bi lingual, but many of the ride and attraction audio's are in French. As the park layout and rides are similar enough to the American Parks, your brain does not really notice the different language. All CM's speak English and there are English language versions of some shows

The price on the Disneyland Paris website seems very expensive?
Prices quoted on Disneyland Paris website are usually for hotel and park ticket packages. Unlike the American parks, the price includes park tickets for arrival day AND departure day. Breakfast is also included in the price. Therefore a 2 night hotel stay includes the following
Park tickets for 3 days
Hotel room for 2 nights
Breakfast on 2 mornings

How do I book a hotel and park ticket package for Disneyland Paris?
Like any holiday you can book using a travel agent, but if you do you may not get the best available deal. Disneyland Paris hotel and park ticket packages are best bought online through the official website.

Disneyland Paris has a different version of its website for different countries. You do not have to book with the website for your country. In fact the USA version of the Disneyland Paris website is often the most expensive. Disneyland Paris puts different offers on different countries websites. This is because people from different countries have different holiday styles. The websites to check are
www.disneylandparis.co.uk
www.disneylandparis.ie
www.disneylandparis.fr
www.disneylandparis.de
www.disneylandparis.it
www.disneylandparis.nl
www.disneylandparis.be

When I book Disneyland Paris can I pay a deposit or do I have to pay the full amount?
If you book online through the website you will have to pay the full amount at the time of booking. If you ring Disneyland Paris and make a phone booking, usually you just pay a 15% deposit and the balance is payable 30 days before arrival.

How do I ring Disneyland Paris to make a booking, I am in America and I don't want to pay international phone charges?
Ring the Walt Disney World Resort Reservations phone number (407) 939 1936 Ask to be transferred to which ever country you wish to book with, for example, if you want to book the offer on the French website, ask to be transferred to the French call centre, if you want to book an offer on the German website, ask to be transferred to the German call centre.

If you are told this is not possible, hang up and ring again. It IS possible, the CM just is not aware or does not want to deal with an international phone transfer.

Will Disneyland Paris mail my park tickets to me?
No, unlike the American parks, all bookings for Disneyland Paris are electronic. At the time of booking you will get a confirmation email. This is all you will receive. When you check in at your hotel you will get your park tickets, meal vouchers and hotel easy pass

How do I make ADR for Disneyland Paris?
ADR for Disneyland Paris can ONLY be made over the phone. They are available from 60 days before arrival day. To make ADR, repeat the steps from above and ask to be transferred to Disneyland Paris Dining Reservations. You will not get a confirmation email about your ADR. You just turn up to the restaurant and there will be a printed list at the host stand

Does Disneyland Paris have Magic Bands and FastPass+?
No Disneyland Paris has paper legacy FastPass machine at certain rides and attractions

Stay onsite or stay offsite, which is better?
Disneyland Paris has 6 onsite hotels and 1 self catering complex. There are also 8 partner (good neighbour) hotels. The partner hotels do not have access to EMH and are not walkable to the park.

Val d'Europe hotels - added by Carrie_Cat

If you stay off site you can walk into the park in under 20 mins staying at the HiPark or the Adagio.

If you stay at the HiPark, Adagio or L'Elysée you have a free shuttle that takes you to/from the parks in under 10 mins

From the Elysées, Sejours et Affaires, Residhome or Ibis Val d'Europe hotels you can catch the RER to Disney. It's 1 stop, takes 2 minutes, run every 10-15 minutes from 5.20 am - 00.20 am and costs under 2€ one way for an adult.

If you stay off site and get an Annual Pass - prices start at 179€ for a Fantasy (320 days acess) you can get EMH as if you were on site and 10% discount of all food and shopping, buy a Dream AP at 223€ and you get 365 days acess and 20% off shopping

We want to have a non park day, where can we go?
Val d'Europe is a purpose built town beside Disney. There are cheap hotels, a very large mall with a large supermarket and a sea life aquarium. It is one stop from Disney on the train or 10 minutes by shuttle bus.

Visit Paris - 35 minutes away by RER to Chatelet les Halles or Provins a medieval town a bus ride from Disney. You can also go to the cathedral city of Meaux, home of Brie cheese and visit the WW1 museum there simply by taking the bus from Disney - added by Carrie_Cat

We want to get the chunnel from Disneyland Paris to visit London?
The "chunnel" does not exist. There is the Eurostar Train direct from Disneyland Paris to London St Pancras Station. If you are driving it is the Eurotunnel you take.

Are all park tickets similar to US park hoppers?
Yes, the tickets are the same. Its a paper ticket which you feed into the turnstile or scan at the turnstile. Its the same system as California, same with the fastpasses. You put your ticket into the fastpass machine and it spits out your fast pass ticket. When you stay onsite you will also get a Hotel Easy Pass. This has your hotel name, your name, arrival date, check out date. You use this to access EMH and for Sequoia Lodge, you need it to access the swimming pool.

What time is check-in time at the hotels?
Official check in time is 3pm. You can arrive earlier but your room may not be available. If you arrive earlier, you just check in, get your park tickets and meal vouchers if you have booked a dining plan. You then put your bags in the luggage store and go to the parks. In the afternoon, one member of your party just has to go back to get your room keys

What are the "free" Disneyland Paris hotel breakfasts like? I'm guessing typical continental...but what types of items do they include?
Continental Breakfast is
  • selection of sliced meet and cheese
  • selection of fruit and yoghurt's
  • Cereals
  • bread for toasting
  • selection of pastries - croissants and pain au chocolat
  • tea, coffee and fruit juices

Last edited:
I LOVE this idea! Planning a first DLP vacation is super overwhelming, and this would be a great, easy place to start! :thumbsup2

Not sure if this is the appropriate place to post, let me know if it should go elsewhere.
We are at DL Paris right now, and there are some smallish differences that can change how you plan things.

Disney Village--while we had read that the dining options weren't as impressive as those at Downtown Disney in WDW or DL, the reality is that it is really bad. DH and myself, while we don't need fine dining, we do like a good tasting meal. Tonight we found ourselves resorting to Planet Hollywood, something I never thought I'd ever do. It was terrible.

There is no counter service in the hotels.

There is no significant shopping in the hotels. I am not talking about souvenir shopping, I am talking about sundries. It is limited to a few items behind the counter in the hotel boutique.

Speaking of shopping, the shopping is not as interesting as what is available at WDW or DL. Which is fine, but it's good to know. For instance, I like to take baths on vacation and was fairly certain I could find a bubble bath, or bath fizzles somewhere on property. Nothing like that anywhere. If there's something you always say that you'll get when you get there, don't bank on it.

There are no coffee pots in the rooms.

The hairdryer is like the ones on the original cruise ships.

There is no separate shampoo/body wash... it is one in the same. I haven't found a conditioner.

Fantasyland closes very, very early for the big end of night show, and it does not re-open... at least while we are here.

However, love the parks! our room at Hotel Cheyenne is lovely.

*** MOD REQUEST COULD THIS BE MADE A STICKY****
I've been noticing over the last while the same questions are being asked over and over, so maybe it might be a good idea to put all the info into one post and make it a sticky

What is Disneyland Paris like compared to Disneyland California and Walt Disney World Florida?
Disneyland Paris is a smaller more condensed version of Disneyland California. There are 2 parks, Disneyland and Disney Studios. The two parks are beside each other and it is possible to park hop multiple times in the day

What are the unique rides and attractions in Disneyland Paris that are not in Disneyland California and Walt Disney World Florida?
Disneyland
The Castle is a different shape and has an upper walk through section and a dragon underneath
Pirates of the Caribbean is different and does not have Jack Sparrow or any additions from the film
Haunted Mansion is called Phantom Manor and has a different storyline
Indiana Jones is a themed roller-coaster
Disney Studios
Crush Coaster
Ratatouille

I don't speak French, will I still be able to enjoy the rides and shows?
Disneyland Paris try's to be bi lingual, but many of the ride and attraction audio's are in French. As the park layout and rides are similar enough to the American Parks, your brain does not really notice the different language. All CM's speak English and there are English language versions of some shows

The price on the Disneyland Paris website seems very expensive?
Prices quoted on Disneyland Paris website are usually for hotel and park ticket packages. Unlike the American parks, the price includes park tickets for arrival day AND departure day. Breakfast is also included in the price. Therefore a 2 night hotel stay includes the following
Park tickets for 3 days
Hotel room for 2 nights
Breakfast on 2 mornings

How do I book a hotel and park ticket package for Disneyland Paris?
Like any holiday you can book using a travel agent, but if you do you may not get the best available deal. Disneyland Paris hotel and park ticket packages are best bought online through the official website.

Disneyland Paris has a different version of its website for different countries. You do not have to book with the website for your country. In fact the USA version of the Disneyland Paris website is often the most expensive. Disneyland Paris puts different offers on different countries websites. This is because people from different countries have different holiday styles. The websites to check are
www.disneylandparis.co.uk
www.disneylandparis.ie
www.disneylandparis.fr
www.disneylandparis.de
www.disneylandparis.it
www.disneylandparis.nl
www.disneylandparis.be

When I book Disneyland Paris can I pay a deposit or do I have to pay the full amount?
If you book online through the website you will have to pay the full amount at the time of booking. If you ring Disneyland Paris and make a phone booking, usually you just pay a 15% deposit and the balance is payable 30 days before arrival.

How do I ring Disneyland Paris to make a booking, I am in America and I don't want to pay international phone charges?
Ring the Walt Disney World Resort Reservations phone number (407) 939 1936 Ask to be transferred to which ever country you wish to book with, for example, if you want to book the offer on the French website, ask to be transferred to the French call centre, if you want to book an offer on the German website, ask to be transferred to the German call centre.

If you are told this is not possible, hang up and ring again. It IS possible, the CM just is not aware or does not want to deal with an international phone transfer.

Will Disneyland Paris mail my park tickets to me?
No, unlike the American parks, all bookings for Disneyland Paris are electronic. At the time of booking you will get a confirmation email. This is all you will receive. When you check in at your hotel you will get your park tickets, meal vouchers and hotel easy pass

How do I make ADR for Disneyland Paris?
ADR for Disneyland Paris can ONLY be made over the phone. They are available from 60 days before arrival day. To make ADR, repeat the steps from above and ask to be transferred to Disneyland Paris Dining Reservations. You will not get a confirmation email about your ADR. You just turn up to the restaurant and there will be a printed list at the host stand

Does Disneyland Paris have Magic Bands and FastPass+?
No Disneyland Paris has paper legacy FastPass machine at certain rides and attractions

Stay onsite or stay offsite, which is better?
Disneyland Paris has 6 onsite hotels and 1 self catering complex. There are also 8 partner (good neighbour) hotels. The partner hotels do not have access to EMH and are not walkable to the park.

We want to have a non park day, where can we go?
Val d'Europe is a purpose built town beside Disney. There are cheap hotels, a very large mall with a large supermarket and a sea life aquarium. It is one stop from Disney on the train or 10 minutes by shuttle bus.

We want to get the chunnel from Disneyland Paris to visit London?
The "chunnel" does not exist. There is the Eurostar Train direct from Disneyland Paris to London St Pancras Station. If you are driving it is the Eurotunnel you take.

very helpful and useful.

Not sure if this is the appropriate place to post, let me know if it should go elsewhere.
We are at DL Paris right now, and there are some smallish differences that can change how you plan things.

Disney Village--while we had read that the dining options weren't as impressive as those at Downtown Disney in WDW or DL, the reality is that it is really bad. DH and myself, while we don't need fine dining, we do like a good tasting meal. Tonight we found ourselves resorting to Planet Hollywood, something I never thought I'd ever do. It was terrible.

The Steakhouse in the Village is probably the most upmarket restaurant there however the food at King Ludwigs is also very nice.
Also the hotels are a good option for other restaurants outside of park hours

There is no counter service in the hotels.

The bars in most of the hotels do food as well if you want a lighter meal

There is no significant shopping in the hotels. I am not talking about souvenir shopping, I am talking about sundries. It is limited to a few items behind the counter in the hotel boutique.

Speaking of shopping, the shopping is not as interesting as what is available at WDW or DL. Which is fine, but it's good to know. For instance, I like to take baths on vacation and was fairly certain I could find a bubble bath, or bath fizzles somewhere on property. Nothing like that anywhere. If there's something you always say that you'll get when you get there, don't bank on it.

There is a small supermarket in the train station where you can buy things like this as well as drinks and snacks or Val d"Europe shopping centre is one station away on the train which has a massive supermarket.

There are no coffee pots in the rooms.

This is typical of most hotels in France. You can request a kettle for your room from reception.
I think the rooms in Golden Forest in Sequoia Lodge have coffee machines and probably others at the same level in other hotels

The hairdryer is like the ones on the original cruise ships.

There is no separate shampoo/body wash... it is one in the same. I haven't found a conditioner.

Im sure the higher end hotels have separate shampoo and body wash however another thing which Americans often comment is lacking are small wash cloths - they don't tend to be provided in a lot of the hotels in Europe

Fantasyland closes very, very early for the big end of night show, and it does not re-open... at least while we are here.

It closes for safety reasons due to the fireworks so no it doesn't reopen

However, love the parks! our room at Hotel Cheyenne is lovely.

I think the hotels are a major difference between DLP and the American parks. The hotels at WDW in particular tend to be resorts whereas the hotels at DLP are just that - hotels.
They are all perfectly acceptable and most are going through refurbishment at the moment but if someone is used to the resort feel of the hotels in WDW they can feel very small in comparison.

The 2 cheaper hotels - Cheyenne and Santa Fe don't have a pool or air conditioning (however they do have a ceiling fan)
With the exception of Davy Crocket Ranch the onsite hotels are all walkable to the park
There are shuttles from all the hotels except Davy Crocket Ranch (you need a car) and DLH which is right at the entrance to the park

Ive added a few replies against your comments above - not to disagree with you but to try and help

Thank you for the reply! On this trip I found it interesting, as a reflection on myself and my Disney expectations as to what small things I missed. I've been lucky enough to travel on multiple occasions in several parts of Europe, so most of the things I missed at Disney are, as you said, expected.

I think the hotels are a major difference between DLP and the American parks. The hotels at WDW in particular tend to be resorts whereas the hotels at DLP are just that - hotels.
They are all perfectly acceptable and most are going through refurbishment at the moment but if someone is used to the resort feel of the hotels in WDW they can feel very small in comparison.

I also think that it was planned this way because the hotels are soooo close to the parks. Where hotels are further away - like in WDW I'm assuming - the hotels benefit from being self contained resorts. There's no real need in Paris.

Oh and I agree with the Village. Needs a massive revamp, although we personally love the shops and their range of merchandise, but we know no different! Lol. The seasonal 'huts' selling seasonal treats are a great addition, but the restaurants...meh. Annette's is great, but was closed on our recent trip. Planet Hollywood and Rainforest Cafe are fine but nothing special. Eaten in King Ludwigs at least 4 times now and I honestly think it's getting worse. Shame - it was so good on our first trip! The selection (for children especially) seems to be getting smaller. Earl of Sandwich is good though. The Wild West Show is a good night out if you enjoy that type of food (hubby doesn't - I do! Lol).

C x

I wanted to add a couple of reflections since it's been about two weeks since we were at DLP.

I would suggest to Americans visiting DLP for the first time, to explore the walking aspects of the DLP.
Enjoy the meandering entrance.
Explore the arcades on either side of Main Street (wow! can we get those at WDW and DL?).
Discover how to get all the way from the entrance to Adventureland, while being covered the whole way.
Explore the area around Pirates.
Find every nook and cranny of the castle and its environs.
Leave extra time for Alice's labyrinth ... maybe do it twice, or three, or four times.

What DLP does well is the PARK aspect. The walking around, the sitting and enjoying the sites. If you enjoy the world showcase at EPCOT because of places like the replica of Hyde Park, or Butchart Gardens, then you will very much enjoy DLP.

Thank you for writing this, BadPinkTink, and thank you everyone else who's contributed, it's going to be very helpful - now added to the stickies. :)

Bunless - I think you hit the 'nail on the head'. We liked WDW but if I'm honest, in the heat and crowds and just the sheer scale, it felt overwhelming. I've never felt like that in DLRP - as you say, it's a park for meandering and 'smelling the roses' as they say! I like to say it's Disney on a European scale - it has it's warts, but then I think all places do. It isn't a big area (well not by WDW standards) but the proximity of hotels and just the walking scale of everywhere makes it special I think. I think as an American, if you like just taking in the bigger picture/ambience, people watching etc, you will love the Paris parks, especially MK.

The Castle is beautiful and so well planned out. I think Main Street is just beautiful - and yes, boy, did we miss those Arcades in the WDW sun!

I don't know what it was about WDW Main Street area and the 'hub' it just didn't feel right for us - to be fair, some of the Castle was covered in hoardings for our visit. It certainly wasn't as quaint or pretty as DLRP for us. However, I think some it is down to 'what you are used to' as DLRP is our 'home' Disney.

Agree with Small World though - you can get some great 'bar food/snacks' at DLRP from the hotel bars. We have had 'afternoon tea' at Cafe Fantasia in the Disneyland Hotel a few times and love it! Would recommend to our USA visitors!

The Village does need an overhaul and gradually they are adding and moving around etc. I just read a new restaurant chain is heading there soon (Vapiano). But, we loved Disney Springs at WDW - I mean WOW! We got the little boat several times from OKW and it was just lovely. I think the long term plan, and I mean, long term plan is to have more waterways into DLRP from the new 'Center Parcs' style accommodation they are promoting - but that will take years I think.

At the end of the day it's all about money and DLRP has just had a run of bad luck over the years with the financial structure of the company. I really hope this is going to take a turn now WDTC have taken so much back 'in house'. I personally feel the next 10 years or so could be very exciting times for DLRP!

Last edited:
If I buy a ticket for DLP but I am not staying at a hotel, will they still just send my an email and then when I arrive I can exchange it for a paper ticket. I'm staying in Paris and grabbing the RER to DLP/DS for one day with a PH.

(live in America and want to buy my ticket probably from the UK site as it seems to be the cheapest)

I don't know about that as I've never just bought tickets, but did you get check out the French site in particular as they often have good offers on tickets. The UK site often doesn't offer the best deals....

Hopefully someone else may be able to help you. I'm unsure if you get actual tickets mailed to you or you just get an email to print at home and take with you - the latter would make more sense!

If I buy a ticket for DLP but I am not staying at a hotel, will they still just send my an email and then when I arrive I can exchange it for a paper ticket. I'm staying in Paris and grabbing the RER to DLP/DS for one day with a PH.

(live in America and want to buy my ticket probably from the UK site as it seems to be the cheapest)

When are you going? Check out the French site for tickets. Someone just recommended it to me, depending on when you go it could be as cheap as 47 Euro for one day/one park if it's a not peak time.

When are you going? Check out the French site for tickets. Someone just recommended it to me, depending on when you go it could be as cheap as 47 Euro for one day/one park if it's a not peak time.

September but it'll be a Saturday so I have to get the Magic Ticket not the Mini, maybe I didn't look at the French site. But it would make sense as I think the Euro has a better conversion than the Pound.

Last edited:
at the 60 day mark I tried calling the 407 number for and ADR. Was told both times I tried it that they couldnt transfer and there is no other number to call besides the 33- number that is calling France. You might need to be really persistent in getting them to transfer you. I called the France number and was on hold for a very long time. I finally panicked about how much it would cost and hung up. I tried again a few hours later and it was better, made my ressie.

at the 60 day mark I tried calling the 407 number for and ADR. Was told both times I tried it that they couldnt transfer and there is no other number to call besides the 33- number that is calling France. You might need to be really persistent in getting them to transfer you. I called the France number and was on hold for a very long time. I finally panicked about how much it would cost and hung up. I tried again a few hours later and it was better, made my ressie.

thats just insane, and wrong. I would just hang up and call again, repeatedly until they transfer the call.

That's strange. I called twice in the past 2 days and they were able to transfer me each time.

One thought: Skype credit is a very inexpensive way to call DLP from the US. It's only 2.3 cents per minute. I just downloaded the Skype app to my android, bought some credit and whenever I want to call, I just turn off the cell service and use the wifi and call from Skype.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter