Fred and Wilma - 'The Keys' to 'The World' - Day 2

Have had alot of catching up to do, between this and the BM&O Day#15-17 threads! Lovin' this TR!

It was really hot and we were all just a bit fed up by now. We were even more fed up when an Old Town Trolley turned up and went sailing past without even stopping. When the second one passed, I marched across to the booth to find out why, only to be told that the Old Town Trolleys left from a different stop to all the others, outside the Key West Aquarium. Eventually we found the right place and discovered that the next trolley left at noon, giving us just enough time for a quick refreshment break..

Does the Old Town Trolley have different buses for different routes? I was wondering what you meant when you said it left from a different stop than the 'others'. (And would a few Key-Lime Margaritas make it too challenging for me to navigate around the island for a day using these?)

The key lime pie on a stick was delicious but very messy. We just shared one, which was more than enough, although Daniel kept moaning that he wanted one to himself..

Love the KW restaurant reviews! We'll be stopping there in February on our 4-nt. and I haven't been in 18 years. I definitely will be adding 'Key Lime Pie on a Stick' to my list of must-do's!

I suspected he wanted to try and find some of the famous polydactyl (6-toed) cats so we agreed he could wander round by himself as long as he stay out of trouble.

Cool! Polydactyl kitty!! Also on the list! :thumbsup2

Glad the day wasn't spoiled after all, things are always better after a drink or three. :goodvibes

It has taken me quite a while to get back to reading your reports Joh but it was worth the wait. What wonderful photos and what a lovely part of Florida the Keys seems to be. Such a shame that Daniel took a tumble but Im glad to see that your day improved. The Key Lime Pie looks lush. Funny enough, there seem to be two types - with and without meringue. I have made the one with meringue and it is delicious.
Glad too that you got to meet your friends and spend quality time together. :)

Maggs

did u book on the conch train or the tram tour ? are the both the same thing?

also did you get chance to see any of the street entertainers in mallory square

do you remember how far a drive it was from duck key in to key west ??

im trying to get everything booked for our 3rd week and struggling a bit , so got a few back up options

your expenses log is most useful , my £100 a day budget isnt going to get us far down here 5x$9.50 pies !!

did u book on the conch train or the tram tour ? are the both the same thing?

We were on the Old Town Trolley Tour - they are different. The Conch train is a round trip, you can't get on and off. The trolley tour is one where oyu can get on and off at the different stops. It takes about 75 minutes to do the whole loop with the trolley tour but we like that we can just get off and look around, then get onto the next trolley that comes along.

If oyu do book the trolley tour, it starts off from just outside the Key West Aquarium. All the other tours start off in Mallory Square. Don't make the same mistake as us and wait in the wrong place for nearly an hour ;)

also did you get chance to see any of the street entertainers in mallory square

We left in the early evening so, no, we didn't see any

do you remember how far a drive it was from duck key in to key west ??

Duck Key to Key West was just over an hour. If you aren't going to stay in Key West but want to explore the Keys, I would suggest a central-ish location such as Islamorada or Marathon.

your expenses log is most useful , my £100 a day budget isnt going to get us far down here 5x$9.50 pies !!

We did find the Keys pretty expensive. We just shared a lot. The frozen Key Lime Pie, for example, we shared between 3 of us and it was plenty to get a good taste. You could easily share 2 or 3 between you.

thats all really helpful thankyou

we had planned on a stay in islamorada anyway but possibly making that the base for all 3 nights now is having no luck finding a decent place to stay in key west for a good price

that duck key u stayed in does keep popping u in searches at £330 for 2 nights
otherwise the drop anchor at £135 a night on islamorada is not too far over budget but looks to have good reviews

i just really like dthe idea of sitting out at key west with a few cocktails for the sunset and street entertainers without dh having to drive back to another island

thanks for the tip about the trolley stop !! kids ride free on one of the websites i looked at so will double check , the hop on and off one sounds better

We found hotels about 2-3 times price of Orlando, food about double the cost.
We stayed at the Southernmost hotel on Duval, cost me £153/nt but included parking and internet. Lovely hotel & location.

thanks wayne , i dont think we fit in the rooms at southernmost !! curse my 3rd child !! :lmao:

ITS USEFUL HAVING BOTH YOUR EXPERT VIEWS TRIP REPORTS TO READ AND REREAD !! even if it does mean more things get added to the must do list !! pies and battered cheese savings begins!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter